Belakor's Landfall ODST armor build

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow. I would be ecstatic if mine turned out even half as good as yours! :)

Any progress?

Oh and btw was there any parts that was especially hard to make? For example any pepping problems or anything like that?

If so what were they and how did you overcome them?

Chrissern said:
Wow. I would be ecstatic if mine turned out even half as good as yours! :)

Any progress?

Oh and btw was there any parts that was especially hard to make? For example any pepping problems or anything like that?

If so what were they and how did you overcome them?

No progress yet, haven't had a chance to get some plastic for the bulk of the parts There's a big Con coming up next weekend so I've had to spend all my time getting some 3D models done for that.

Hmm... I don't really think there were any pep parts that I did that were particularly difficult really, though it's been so long since I did any ODST pep files and the few that I did were fairly straight forward. I don't think I'm much help as far as that goes...

I'll see what I can do about properly updating this build after next weekend, by then I should have nothing to distract me :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Belakor said:

No progress yet, haven't had a chance to get some plastic for the bulk of the parts There's a big Con coming up next weekend so I've had to spend all my time getting some 3D models done for that.

Hmm... I don't really think there were any pep parts that I did that were particularly difficult really, though it's been so long since I did any ODST pep files and the few that I did were fairly straight forward. I don't think I'm much help as far as that goes...

I'll see what I can do about properly updating this build after next weekend, by then I should have nothing to distract me :D

*Says in his best mr. Burns impression* "Excellent"

I'll be sure to put this on my watch list ;)

i niticed that you gyes had pepped the thigh plate for the odst could someone send me the link for it so i can get it. it would be much appreciated. by the way looks like some awsome work.

I have started to make ODST armor and does anyone have any tips? (I have the program(demo) of pepakura and have paper print offs any tips?)

I have a tip do your measurment first so you dont waist all your paper or time and come out with to small of a helmet. Trust me ive had that wxpirience its not fun.

Thanks everyone :D

Ranger117matt said:
i niticed that you gyes had pepped the thigh plate for the odst could someone send me the link for it so i can get it. it would be much appreciated. by the way looks like some awsome work.

If you're still looking for the Landfall thigh pieces you can find them in the Landfall ODST thread by Skullcandy Girl :)

DJB1564 said:
I have started to make ODST armor and does anyone have any tips? (I have the program(demo) of pepakura and have paper print offs any tips?)

I don't really have any tips other than take your time and add support struts to everything that doesn't have them already. Saves a lot of hassles ;)

No progress to report on the armour front, still haven't had a chance to get some plastic from town... should be able to early next week I think.

I have made some progress though, wont be using it for quite a while but I needed to figure out how to smooth pep files out so it was a good excuse to start :)

4057674318_4c527476fe_m.jpg 4057673940_6460e18a06_m.jpg

Still planning on having the armour done in time for Wellington Armageddon next year which is in April I think, so I'll be picking up the pace pretty soon. It wont be 100% accurate by then but it should hopefully be close to it.

Nice looking unfold so far!

Everytime I see that file though I'm reminded that I need to fix the cheeks on it, so they're not recessed anymore.

Everything is looking great. I am really digging the scratch built backpack. Can't wait to see the whole thing finished.

Nice!! :) If you didnt trim off the extra fiberglass, you could make a Brute chest :p!...Anyway, great job on the whole thing!!

Good job man its looking really good, hope mine looks just as good as yours before i give it flood mutations.

Thanks again everyone :D

Ruze789 said:
Nice looking unfold so far!

Everytime I see that file though I'm reminded that I need to fix the cheeks on it, so they're not recessed anymore.

I had thought of editing the model myself before I started unfolding again it I got lazy and figured I'd just fix it while building the pep :p

Finally some real progress... this is all using 3mm black HIPS, the cool thing with a black base is you don't have to worry about chipping the paint and having some weird colour from the bondo or whatever coming through ;)

Finished one upper shoulder piece, save for some minor sanding and two holes for screws, and the other isn't far behind:

4081477693_802ba7727b_m.jpg 4081478045_b98568a3bb_m.jpg

4082238986_87c6573936_m.jpg 4082251278_159a681bfc_m.jpg

I'm pretty happy with the fact that I wont need a single spot of bondo on them :D

Also cut out the parts for the lower shoulder piece:

4081476903_33bd872d37_m.jpg 4082237828_15007ae9b3_m.jpg

Just need to sand the curves, bend the pieces, and glue it all together.

Cut out the top and bottom pieces for the smaller of the two butt packs:

4081476061_166276cf63_m.jpg 4081476467_45f337c482_m.jpg

That's just waiting for me to figure out a good depth so I can cut the side panels and fit it all together.

Cut out the pieces for the hip plates:

4082239872_5d796c085f_m.jpg 4082251660_efa3d37fbf_m.jpg

One is glued together already and needs some more cutting and shaping. The other still needs the backing, shaping, and to be glued together.

Finally, the two side parts were cut but after looking closer at it I realize they're not long enough so I have to cut some more slightly longer ones:

4082239480_6aba299bb5_m.jpg

Which isn't a bad thing since I needed to layer it anyway for added thickness.

Next I'll finish the shoulders and hip plates, then I'll start on the knees, and hopefully finish the butt pack.

Haven't decided how I'll do the thighs yet, they might be easier to pep and fiberglass. Shins, gauntlets, and all the little accessories for the soft pouches I'll do in the 3mm styrene and detail with 1-2mm styrene.

Boots, gloves, and pants are sorted... vest and jacket I haven't decided on yet and the helmet I'll leave 'til last since I don't technically need it. Other than that it's just screws, straps, buckles etc. I'll spend some time on them next week probably.

If I can keep this pace up I should have everything fabricated before the end of the year and ready for paint. :)

what kind of glue are you using? when i was piecing together my shredder costume , i had to melt the plastic together. using a strong glue would have probably been easier though , also how are you planning on getting them to bend , 0ven , heat gun or , other? i'm surprised with all the scratch building going on more people haven't jumped to plastics from cardboard . way to innovate dude , hope every thing works out(and it looks like it will)

Humboldt_spartan said:
what kind of glue are you using? when i was piecing together my shredder costume , i had to melt the plastic together. using a strong glue would have probably been easier though , also how are you planning on getting them to bend , 0ven , heat gun or , other? i'm surprised with all the scratch building going on more people haven't jumped to plastics from cardboard . way to innovate dude , hope every thing works out(and it looks like it will)

The glue I use is Tamiya cement, just the stuff you use on model cars and such. It's basically a solvent that dissolves the plastic and with pressure it fuses the two parts together, you can also mix up some plastic filings with the glue to make a filler of sorts. Works real well.

For the shaping I'll be heating it, most likely with a heat gun. The curves aren't that bad so it should be easy enough :)

I am a little surprised there aren't more using plastics but I'm sure more will move to that eventually :D It's way cheap and can produce much nicer parts compared to cardboard... cardboard is cool and handy but I find it's more for prototyping and templates rather than finished props, there's too much messing around with resins and that for me ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back