Black Belt Test

Status
Not open for further replies.

Haissan

Jr Member
Well, its that time today, I am finally, after two years of study, going to be testing for my first dan black belt in TaeKwonDo. I am so excited, and nervous. Part of the test is over forms, I know them all, only on occasion do I mix up a couple of them. What has me nervous is using a spinning hook kick and being asked to do something I am not sure I am able to do. Telling the masters I can't do something is an automatic fail for not showing indomitable spirit. Everyone wish me luck. I think there will be video and pictures, I will be sure to post those as soon as they are available. Anxiety abounds and hands a shaking. Does anyone else have a study or martial art that they are proud of and study frequently? I shall sweat hard.

...if things get to dicey, you could always do the blood sport move where you go into a leg split and then an uper-cut to the balls! :eek: but only if your getting ready to lose should you use this move. Relax its perfectly legal :rolleyes

You need to update us on how you did!

I myself am a black belt in Kenpo, and I was so anxious before my test. The important thing to remember is, they wouldn't put you up to test unless they knew you were ready for it. So I'm sure you did fine!

Get us pics and vid asap, I'd love to see it.

Alright here's the report:

I arrived thirty minutes early for the test and practiced some with other students at my level. we tutored and what not, so it was good. Actual forms, my major problem is that I would move too fast, my execution was good, but no one else could keep up. In the final round of forms, I finally slowed my pace to were I was at everyone's pace, it finished good. On after that we had technique show offs, GrandMaster Choi would have us do different kicks until he found our weakest one, turns out it was side kick. the biggest problem most people have is cambering their knee all the way, must have done it a hundred times. I was actualy called up by GM to demonstrate proper technique...I was so nervous I did my first one too fast for others to see the other two I held my foot out too long finally I got it right we were aiming for chest level, but we could do face if we were flexible enough so I was both proud that I was called and embarrassed that I messed the first few kicks infront of everyone. we had fun tho. did some sparring practice demonstration, I had to go twice because of uneven numbers in the younger kids (15 and under) both the kids I was partnered with barely came up to my sternum so when we got the adults sparring i was making my shots a little low at first. It was fine after that, I really enjoyed myself. For our final act we broke the boards, we had to break two boards one with round house the other with spinning hook technique. and the way you had to doit was one kick after the other. I broke the roundhouse board first try and went too high for the spinning hook kick. the second try I just made a round house and managed to get the spinning hook kick, unfortunately I brused my heel a few weeks ago and it has still not fully recovered, I broke the board and irritated my heel. I am so glad we are finished, I got everything done my mind is calm, I am not even cocky. Now it is time for me to really grow. Pictures will come soon, they will have to be emailed to me. :D
Oh and I must deflate my head by saying there were several of the senior black belts telling me how well I was doing. I was told I was probably the only person who at least looked like I knew what I was doing. Man those first few minutes of the test are the most arduous simply because you've not yet worked out your nerves, but once that was out of my system, I feel so good right now.
there you have it.

Great news! I would love to be back in martial arts I made it to my blue in Aikido before a combination of econimics and old knee injuries sidelined me.

My social studies teacher has a black belt... I saw him demonstrate on a kid...
Not good.
AWESOME SKILLS.
My friend is also getting her black belt soon.

Anyway, good job on the black belt!

Now to get on to that project that I will be sharing shortly...

Congrats! Taekwondo can be difficult at times. We would sometimes practice with a blind fold on to do our form or jump/spin kicks. We also often practiced with mild/medium contact depending if we had pads on. We used to do jump 720 spins. You jump in the air and attempt to spin around 2 times and land right where you started, once you get the hang of it you try to do it blindfolded.

I made it to 2nd dan black belt then decided it was time to drop out because to progress any further I had to register my hands and feet as lethal weapons... needless to say I didn't feel like doing that... stupid state laws... it might have changed now as its been 10 years.... wow!

Once you've been in Taekwondo picking up kick boxing isn't that hard. I did it for a little over a year. We'll just say that kick boxing tournaments are a whole lot different than Taekwondo or Karate tournaments as they are medium to occasionally full contact.

If you don't already have one, go out and purchase a leg stretching machine. Use it daily as the instructions lay out and you will work yourself up to the splits in no time. I'm not quite as limber as I once was as I used to be able to do the full splits.

Best suggestion i can make for speed drills is get 5lb ankle weights and practice your kicks. If that's too much get 2 1/2 lb ones and work your way up. Not only will it help you to develop your control it will practically double your maximum 'fully controllable' kick speed. Another thing that works amazingly well is working in front of a large mirror and watching yourself as you do your moves.

I have a Black belt in Tae Kwon Do and I know how you feel! Test always make people nervous, but it sounds like you did fine though! I was just curious,what association does your school belong to? The American or the Korean? I belong to the Korean and it took me 6 years before we could take the black belt test. This is the only Tae Kwon Do school I have ever been to so I don't know how the others do it. But during our test we also had to demonstrate Judo and Hapkido self defense. So have you received your belt yet? If not congratulations when you do!!!!!!!!!!!! Looking forward to the pictures!

@Sir blood as far as I know the law has not changed! The way I understand it If you belong to a association and received a black belt, you are then registered with the gov. If you get in a fight and use your "gift" with agressive force it is the same as going out here and hitting someone with a baseball bat! But one thing to remember when forced to fight (always as a last resort) the law is you can use equal force! If they punch you could use some self defense or punch back, maybe some "light" kicks. But hey if they have a weapon...God help them for anything goes!!!!!

My friends all have their blackbelts in karate, one of them have their third degree, the rest have first last time I checked. I keep hurting myself,but I still managed to make it halfway to my blackbelt in a year. This was Okinawan Karate. As long as we knew our material (Katas, self-defense and history) then we could test once a month. A good pace was 2-3 months oer belt until you got to the upper belts and then at least 4 a belt level. Thats what sensei always said,but if you were ready he'd let ya test. I love martial arts so I moved pretty fast in between injuries (broken bones, torn ligaments, etc...only one of them karate related and it was outside of class).

Congrats though, a black belt is a great thing.

Thank you all!!

privateer, thats not good man, but I have a feeling you should be able to pick it back up again now, if not you could always study hapkido, it is somewhat intense, but once you've gotten used to the system and what not, there is not as much kne work. not only that daun-jun (i cannot spell this, it is is korean for the fire charkra) o-ho works your lower body quite thoroughly. you shouldn't let that interfere too much!! :D

Arbiter, well congratulate your friend for me, and why don't you take up Taekwondo as well, the trick is finding the right school. TaeKwonDo is for EVERYONEXD

Sir Blood, I think ronin is right, your association registers you once you've reached human weapon status, I don't think your desire to never register should stop you from practicing, get back into it, it is soo good for you! and thatnk you for the advice, I will look into your training techniques if there is one thing I really muct work on is my 540 and 720 spins as well as those pesky speed and control drills.

Ronin, My school is UMA Taekwondo of the Houston area, I study mainly at the Copperfield Dojang, but Icannot say anything farther about contacts info PM me for more, but we are associated with WTF and all our Masters are Kukkiwon certified, the director of the UMA dojangs is the father of one of the masters at our Copperfield school. I am proud to say I am not getting training that is too diluted with american culture.
Depending on when you started TaeKwondo will determine why you weren't allowed to test. I am currently 22 and I started studying shortly before I was 20. I have studied for over two years now and I attended very often. 3-5 times a week for more than 3 hours, I even worked there for a few months. In korea and some american schools won't allow someone to test for black belt until they are the age of 16 then they can begin advancement in the Dan class. Otherwise they are only poom. perhaps that is what happened with you but I don't know. different schools do have different rules.
Ys our school does require the dan class to begin studying falling techniques and hapkido grappling techniques as well as it is expected of us to even attend the hapkido classes every once in a while. I enjoy hapkido, the class does not have any children in it simply because of how destructive it is.

Kaya, you should g back to your dojo, don't stop...it seems like you really enjoyed karate, it could not hurt you to continue... well i suppose you must have tired of getting hurt, maybe you should work at your level and not so much above it... train hard but also train smart, well what should I say, I was not there you may not have been hurt training at all,...shutting up now...

Thanks again fellows I still have not gotten... wait...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hUAnOMVgfNY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eVQNNgHljOQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4cFvL76janM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QTNnqFHdFF4...feature=channel

videos are up thanks to Gentay!

Awesome, those videos were really neat. I never really got very far into Tae Kwon Do, so it's fascinating to see how other martial arts compare to ones own. Cool doing the board breaking, we don't do that sort of thing at my school. Well, I mean, we do the kicks, but we don't break stuff. So that's pretty neat.

As far as lethal weaponage goes, I remember being told when I was younger (and first started kenpo) that I'd be a lethal weapon when I got my black belt. But I dunno if that was just a little something to entice me to keep going, or if it was legit. I guess I'll need to check laws? I dunno.

Oh, and by the way, if you're interested, there's a couple vids up of one of my older tests (2nd degree brown), with a compilation one ending in us doing Long Form Three. I'm the girl. Haha.

Well I'm a quick learner,but I haven't been to karate in almost 2 years and I continue to hurt myslef in other ways. I'm just a clutz and like I said I've yet to hurt myself practicing or at class. I did however kick (axe kick) in jeans once and mess up my knee,but thats a long story. I would love to go back,but I no longer have a dojo. I've moved and so I'm still looking for a class,but I'm going to try one in a few weeks after my ankle gets better...well watch maybe in a few weeks, we'll see.

Edit:

Are you all testing at once? Thats a lot of people to test at once...and what are the little kids doing testing for a black belt?

The girl in the front looks like she's lost....

you know I still watch the forums and everyonce in awhile post and I have to say congrads you looked good and you show a very good start to a very fine skill, if you keep going you can one day be a champ you have great form and really good balance, and I don't know why you call him grand master but when I was in tae kwon do I trained under sabanim Sang Lee the olympic trainer for 6 years before moving on to akido.

I made it to 2nd dan black belt then decided it was time to drop out because to progress any further I had to register my hands and feet as lethal weapons... needless to say I didn't feel like doing that... stupid state laws... it might have changed now as its been 10 years.... wow!

and sir blood your full of it here's the proof:

Debunked: Boxers are required to register their hands as "lethal weapons."

Research has failed to reveal any statutory, regulatory or other requirement that boxers -- or anyone skilled in martial arts -- "register" their hands or any other body part as "lethal weapons" in the U.S., UKoGBaNI, Canada, or any other common law nation. However, a criminal defendant's experience in boxing, karate, or other forms of hand-to-hand combat may be relevant to determining various legal issues.

First, in the United States at least, the question of whether hands (or other body parts) of a boxer, martial artist or any other person even qualifies as a "deadly" or "lethal" weapon depends largely upon how "deadly weapon," "lethal weapon," or "deadly force" is defined (usually by statute, which is then interpreted by the courts). _See,_ _e.g.,_ Vitauts M. Gulbis, "Parts of the Human Body, Other Than Feet, as Deadly or Dangerous Weapons for Purposes of Statutes Aggravating Offenses Such as Assault and Robbery," 8 A.L.R.4th 1268 (1981 and supplements); Christpher Vaeth, "Kicking as Aggravated Assault, or Assault With Dangerous or Deadly Weapon," 19 A.L.R.5th 823 (1995 and supplements). Most statutes have been interpreted to require an object external to the human body before a "deadly weapon" element can be met. For example, in _Minnesota v. Bastin_, 572 N.W.2d 281 (Minn. 1997), the Minnesota Supreme Court overruled the trial court's conclusion that the left fist of the defendant, a former licensed professional prize fighter, was a "deadly weapon."

Some courts in the United States have concluded, however, that a criminal defendant's experience in boxing or martial arts should be considered when deciding whether s/he possessed a required intent to cause harm. For instance, in _Trujillo v. State_, 750 P.2d 1334 (Wyo. 1988), the Wyoming Supreme Court found that there was sufficient evidence to support the defendant's conviction for aggravated assault after he punched someone in the head. His history as a trained boxer was one bit of evidence supporting the jury's findings on his mental state. Likewise, in _In the Matter of the Welfare of D.S.F._, 416 N.W.2d 772 (Minn. App. 1988), the Minnesota Court of Appeals held that there was sufficient evidence to conclude that the actions of the defendant, who had "substantial experience in karate," were sufficient to demonstrate his knowledge that he was hitting the victim with sufficient force to break the victim's jaw.

Similarly, a criminal defendant's boxing or martial arts experience may be relevant to determining the validity of a self-defense claim. For instance, in _Idaho v. Babbit_, 120 Idaho 337, 815 P.2d 1077 (Idaho App. 1991), the defendant shot the victim and claimed self-defense. The trial court admitted evidence regarding the defendant's past training and experience as a boxer, concluding that it was relevant to a determination of whether the defendant truly believed it was necessary to shoot the victim in order to protect himself and others. The Idaho Court of Appeals affirmed.

Documented: A criminal defendant's experience in boxing or the martial arts may be relevant to deciding whether the elements of a criminal offense have been proven.

I hate it when people try to sound like bad asses when they have no clue what they are talking about.

enough said

well, I guess what you're saying is the courts will do what they can to make money off of anyone... even if it is a trained person acting in self-defense...here's the rule, if you can runaway, do it, if your back is against the wall, get out from in front of the wall and get away. if you're at home, then (in the state of texas at least) castle law prevails and you don't have to back down or run away and it is better for you to kill the assaulter so they cannot press charges against you for injuries they sustained in your home, the cops that go to our dojang have advised it is better to shoot to kill in castle law cases.

but that is not what this thread is about, it's about me finally earning my black belt after studying long and hard for it...

for you who asked about the children, they aren't technically dan class, they remain in poom class until they are 16 then they move up to dan class. if we were more traditional, then yes they would not be testing for black belt. I asked for a size 5 apparently and it is pretty darn big on me, oops well, I have to break it in.

Reminds me, one of the guys who has been first dan for years and never promoted and does nothing but the sparring class and cannot even remember his forms, was diminishing my accomplishment. He asked, "so now that you have that belt you feel you've leveled up? You a super saiyajin 4 now?" I looked at him and smiled and said "no it's more like an item, a +2 fire materia" in a sincere tone(I was being sarcastic). I left him after that. It pissed me off of course, he was not there when the Director of our entire school system and Younger brother of the founder of our school told me "very good, very good, Alex" I am not humbled by his words, but rather feel as though he tried to taint my accomplishment by provoking my rage.

There I am done ranting about that! Many of the older folks have been obviously watching me, they keep congratulating me. It really makes me feel good inside, I will, of course, continue on training.

Hey drakku, it's cool that you've been at it, and still are able to compare the differences, looks great, that form was fast, but maybe you've accelerated it, there wasn't enough movment in the back for me to tell, although I don't think it was accelerated, could not hurt to ask.

kaya, yes those that looked lost probably were, half the battle for the test is your mind actually 80% of it is if you've even practiced 3 hours a week and done the forms in your head for fie hours or more every three days. Part of what really helps is teaching the forms, you have to be sure to get it right or you will be teaching it wrong...that is your best teacher, a student(heh can you believe it, I was teaching the lower forms since I was a red belt. As a red/black belt I often led the others in our forms before the test. the hard part is counting and keeping your rhythm as you teach.)

Yeah, as some of our younger students moved up, and after my friends got their black belts (around 7th or 8th grade) sensei anounced that you would have to be mature before he would allow you to test for your black belt. This was partly due to a few 5th/6th grade brown-black belts, I think. But yeah, I've always had a problem with the junior black belt thing...I don't know why, its just...I really don't know it just bugs me when 7/8 year old says their a black belt. You couldn't start at my own dojo until you were about 6/7 I believe.

Forms, Forms, Forms, practice them everyday for at least an hour, you should. And though mental practice is good it is never a substitution for actually doing them.

So I looked at a place I was recommended, but their website says their korean karate....I'd really like to stick to one style or at least Okinawan karate for now....

Kaya Tetsu said:
So I looked at a place I was recommended, but their website says their korean karate....I'd really like to stick to one style or at least Okinawan karate for now....

Was it chook soo do? I suppose you should really keep looking if your sensei was affiliated with a global organization then you should look for another school affiliated with that organization

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back