Cardboard Details?

Status
Not open for further replies.

matth101

Hey all. just looking for a few pointers when using cardboard to make details like raised panels. do you just add the cardboard and put a layer of rondo over it or are there any special techniques? Is there a different method than using cardboard? i tried to use the search function but i couldn't find what i was looking for.... thanks!

I would recommend not using corregated cardboard, but something more like paper board. I use a material called pulp board for details in my builds. It's about 1/16" thick, is very easy to cut/score, and takes resin nicely.

You can do it almost any way, but the easiest is to use cardboard for most of the raised area, then the rondo will add a little more height. You are going to want to sand it, so make sure the rondo goes above the height that you need. also remember that the more rondo you have, the more you have to sand it.

thanks guys. i'll look in to the pulp board too. i've got a Spartan Mk V build going and have a progress thread in the noob forum if you wana check it out and maybe give me some pointers. Thanks for the info!

Something similar would be mat board. You can find in the photography framing section at about any Hobby Lobby.

Something similar would be mat board. You can find in the photography framing section at about any Hobby Lobby.

Agreed, though mat board is a little tougher to cut, it works just as well. Pulp board is a little more difficult to find. I only know of one place to buy it in my area, and it's nearly an hour and a half away.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back