Carpathia's Carter Build (picture heavy!!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, thanks!
But what happens if there aren't any tabless pieces?
Note: I'm not making a closed model now, I just want to know how :p

If there is not a suitable tabless piece, then you go into pep designer and make one. Study the model before you even print it out, choose a face that you think would be a good closing piece (preferably a somewhat large rectangular area) and make it tabless using the tab edit function. This works even if you don't have a key to designer, you won't be able to save it, but you can still do it.

This is one of the best looking builds I've seen yet. I especially like that AR, get that thing done, I want to see the finished product!!

Thanks! The AR is still in the state it was on its last update. I will be finishing it, but only after the suit is done. I will be posting it in its finished state in this thread, though.

For the knife, I left the piece at the end of the grip off while I resined it so I had a place to pour in the hardener. Then, I mixed some thin, fast curing rondo and poured it in. I noticed while I did this that the blade started to bloat out, so I stopped pouring and poured what was in the knife back into my rondo batch. The blade went back to normal. I then let the rondo harden, then once it was cured, finished filling it up with rondo, let that cure, sanded the end down and put on that last piece to close the model. I've got it somewhat painted, so I'll post pics of it as soon as I get home.

Wow, thanx for the extremely detailed info! I decided to give the rondoing of the blade a second try, and it worked out great! It was a bit difficult for me to innitially rondo seeing as how I costum built the handle and hilt solid, so I couldn't pour it in the back end.... But after many different ways of trying to harden it (all the same blade), I just ended up cutting the top long flat piece of the blade out, and pouring it in through there, and it worked! Filled the whole blade and cured beautifally! Ill post pics tommorow to show the knife and the sheath all done and painted up (hopefully, and probably)! :)

Hey, thanks alot for that!
But I changed my mind after pepping 3 pieces of the S-III...
I'll go with an ODST build, and I'll probably make both suits xD
But the ODST is easier, so I'll do it first to get experience :p

Edit: Hey, Carp, I was searching for your knife file on your 4shared, when I came across a file called Leg_Pouch_3, downloaded it, and unfolded it. Link: http://www.4shared.com/file/ReQDfAfC/_2__Leg_Pouch_3.html
And I have a question: was this leg pouch meant for an ODST or something else?

Edit: Hey, Carp, I was searching for your knife file on your 4shared, when I came across a file called Leg_Pouch_3, downloaded it, and unfolded it. Link: http://www.4shared.com/file/ReQDfAfC/_2__Leg_Pouch_3.html
And I have a question: was this leg pouch meant for an ODST or something else?

Yup, that's the pouch used by the ODST's in Halo 3: ODST, worn on the side of thier lower leg armor. I also have the pouches worn on thier thighs here...

http://www.4shared.com/file/4WMN61xz/Thigh_Pouch.html

And here's my unfold the that leg pouch (even though I see that you've already unfolded it)...

http://www.4shared.com/file/_vOqpgIE/Leg_Pouch.html

These are also the perfect files to practice building a closed pep. On both of these files, there is a strip at the bottom of the page that is for the top of the pouch (on my unfolds). That should be the last piece you put on.

Here's the reference picture that Minkyboi linked to...
11819578.png

i think that parts already on the pep though. at least on mine which i also think is the same file you used.

Nope, on the pep file that I used, there is a depression there, the same as the other side of the helmet. If you take a look at this picture...

carter+spartan.png

...at his helmet, you can clearly see that it's an attachment, much like Kat's attachment, or Buck's from ODST.

Ok man, thanks alot!
I can't model for my life and don't want to bother people to model these small useless things for me.
In my unfold, the tabless piece is the back :p

I think I fixed the problem.
Untitled-1.jpg

That looks like the same model I used, but a different unfold. There is no attachment on the side, it's a depression you are seeing there.

just a quick question.
what did you use for the knee?
and how did you scale it?

The knee I used was modeled by Chevysrule, and unfolded by rvb18, availiable on the first post of the Official Reach Files thread by Ruze789. I scaled it by using XtremeTactics 101's scaling method #1.

hey there, quick question: how are you able to post pictures on your thread instead of links ? i have been trying to figure that out sense the move to the new site, but for the life of me can't get it to work. i would have sent this question in a PM, but it looks like i don't have that option on your profile page. =S

If you want to input a picture in a post, click the icon that has a little green landscape on it with a tree in the middle. Then input the link of the picture (which you presumably posted on an image site) and then voila. That's it :p
The button is the third going from right to left

how many coats of rondo did you use on your helmet?

Overall, one, but in the parts where I had to sand down a lot on the outside, it ended up being about 3 or 4.

Edit: I know it's been a while since my last update, but I should have a small one tonight.

Ok, here's a quick update. I managed to finish my helmet attachment and get it attached to the helmet. Here's the pics...

DSC04203.jpg

And here's a side by side with the old one...

DSC04204.jpg

And attached to my helmet...

DSC04205.jpg

DSC04206.jpg

DSC04209.jpg

I also got my gauntlets hardened yesterday and updated the paint job on my shins. I've only got until the 18th before I move off to my dorm room, so I'm hoping to have everything at least hardened by then. I only have to harden the belt, thighs and the new torso. If they're hardened and smoothed, then I won't have to do anymore bondo/resin work and I can focus on painting and padding. I've still got to order the padding for the helmet, other than that, it's finished.

Anyway, more to come, so keep watching and let me know what you think.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back