**Carpathia's Mk VI Armor: Master Chief Going into Cryostasis!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was going to Ask why this isn't in the elite section, but then realized I would not be able to personally congratulate carp on a stellar build.

Carp, your work is inspirational. I am just starting my suit, and I will be following your tutorials closely..... starting with dulling down an x-acto knife for scoring future pepakura pieces, and trying out the white glue instead of hot glue!

thanks again for sharing.

Thanks everyone for keeping the thread alive. I got an email from the director of the film with a clip that he put together during the 5 hours after the shoot for a competition entry that was due the day after. What he had done was a 1 minute clip with minimal special effects like sound. Since it was done in such a rush, he doesn't want it distributed, which I can understand. However, in my opinion, the result of that five hours of work was on par if not a bit better than what you would see in a battle reenactment on the History Channel. So, I think it's safe to say that the final cut will be awesome.

About this thread not being in the Elite Forum, I'm truly ok with that. There are a lot of great builds around the forums that are not there and I think we as a forum community place too much emphasis on getting there and pay too much homage to the ones who do get there. Not to say that the ones there do not deserve the credit or a degree of attention, but it makes it more difficult for someone else to shine.

Nothing new in the way of the suit itself. I'm pretty much taking the winter off from making armor. I will be working on a few technique/material tests in the upcoming weeks, but that won't be covered here. Anyway, that's it for now.

The director of the short film released more pictures, I thought I'd go ahead and share some with you all...

8260523300_db4b32ff4a.jpg

8259455929_f096ae813b.jpg

8259455013_1f6bcc6e04.jpg

8259453651_d8a365c59d.jpg

8259456835_7bbe9db3fd.jpg

8260524426_840399e0d5.jpg

Awesome pics carpathia. The suits looks great out in woods. Did your chest piece come undone in that last pic or is it just me?

Awesome pics carpathia. The suits looks great out in woods. Did your chest piece come undone in that last pic or is it just me?

Thanks! Yeah, in that last pic, the connection wasn't lining up properly. I've got it set up so the top connection moves a bit in order to give me a better range of arm movement (so I can properly hold my rifle for one), and I think in that pic I was reaching across my chest for something. Although I do remember having a bit of an issue getting the torso on properly (it was the first time I put it on without a mirror).

This rather large update is thanks to Macattack. I saw in his MkVI thread that he was using a different method to attach the front sections of his boots to the main body. I originally wanted to do something like this, but was unable to find the type of buckles that would work. Well, Mac pointed me in the right direction and yesterday I found these...

DSCN0874.jpg

These center button quick release buckles are the perfect size to fit into the side of the boot armor. So, thankfully disassembling the hook/bolt system, I set out to install these buckles today.

First, I took the female end...
DSCN0876.jpg

...and snipped off the part that where strapping would normally connect...
DSCN0877.jpg

Then, I traced the profile out on the side of the boot...
DSCN0878.jpg

...and cut out the corresponding sections...
DSCN0879.jpg

...then tacked the female end in with a few drops of hot glue.
DSCN0880.jpg

After that, having learned a little from Cereal Killl3r, I boxed off an area surrounding the buckle from the inside...
DSCN0882.jpg

...and poured in some thin, quick-setting rondo...
DSCN0883.jpg

...and when the rondo started to harden and heat up, I removed the blocking and what hot glue I could...
DSCN0884.jpg

When I removed the masking tape from the outside, I found that the rondo had been masked nicely...
DSCN0885.jpg

...so I applied some bondo to the outside and started to shape it up a bit...
DSCN0886.jpg

Now it was time to connect the front end to the male end of the buckles. Originally I was going to attach the male side to the inside of the armor, but I realized that it would line up better if it was inset into the armor itself (much like the female end is)...
DSCN0888.jpg

...so I traced the profile and cut out the corresponding part again...
DSCN0889.jpg

Holding the front part in place, I tacked the male end on with some hot glue and carefully removed the male end from the female end...
DSCN0892.jpg

...then I added some more hot glue to secure it...
DSCN0893.jpg
\

That is as far as I got tonight, as I worked until sundown. Tomorrow, I will apply some bondo to the interior and exterior of the front armor piece in order to better secure it into place.

Overall, I'm pretty happy with the way this is turning out so far. And it looks a heck of a lot better than it did before. Once I get the front piece bondoed, it will be difficult to tell that the buckle is attached the way it is. So, thanks Mac!

where did you find these buckle's? and do you have a part number or anything for them? definatly the way i am going to go. also what did you use for the ribbing between the toe and the heel?

cheers

This is the type of buckle I used...

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS7ozxTuQzoKc6BXLMO9mBX31y6RMThofk8LpFJePZgwLlZ3LPv.jpg

http://www.createforless.com/Dritz+...d=1552979446&gclid=CJmfwLTlmLQCFeZDMgodQWsAxQ

I found them at JoAnn Fabrics, a local sewing supply retailer. You can do a Google search for "Center Release Buckle," you may be able to find something a little better. The 1" buckles fit the boots the best.

The ridging between the upper boot and the toe is a small section of 4" diameter corrugated drain cut in half. It comes in rather large sections and looks like this...

th_ads_4_drainage_pipe_50_flexible_35_winslow_10106492.jpg

Some claim that they can find it in 10 foot sections, but the shortest sections I've found it in are 25', so you may have to look around for someone who has some extra. I managed to find a 1 foot section of scrap at a family member's house. There are other options. Take a look at what MacAttack64 did for the ribbing in his boots...

http://www.405th.com/showthread.php/10592-Macattack64-Mark-VI-Spartan-Build?p=615930#post615930

His method looks a bit neater and is probably more flexible, but I have no problems with flexibility with mine, so either way is good.

thanks buddy! cant wait till i have enough done to be able to start my own uberness thread!

I think i am going to go the macattack method for the ribbing.

cheers

SirBrady

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back