Centurion Build

Status
Not open for further replies.
image.jpgHurry up Spartan!!! We're deploying and we need you!!!!!

Update:

Got in some pep time this weekend between the beach........the BBQs........the drinks.........more drinks.........2nd BBQ.........fireworks..........and nightcap drinks.........

IMG-20160705-01387.jpgIMG-20160705-01388.jpg

Now it's really taking shape and you can tell that it's a Centurion Armor build.......The more I build it, and the closer I get to completion....the more I get stoked for Comicon!!!!

Update:

Turtle pace........I feel like I'm working backwards sometimes......or I'm doing some thing wrong.....either way it's dam frustrating to look at the last picture I posted and the one I'm posting now and see so little accomplished.

IMG-20160715-01394.jpgIMG-20160715-01395.jpg

A quick fit on the head indicates to me that I have the right size this time........thank God!!!1 Don't think I could handle a 5th go around.......I also printed out foam templates of the chest and started fiddling around w/ them. I think I sized it too small but it's hard to tell since the chest is double walled and I can't get an accurate gage on the templates in comparison to a foam piece w/o actually cutting a few pieces and assembling it........don't want to waste material but I think that may be the only way to determine the correct size.......

Still, progress is progress, D. Took me a week to just get the visor area cut from my helmet, so I know the sentiment.

even at a slow pace, it's still looking great. Just keep on plugging away when you can. That's what I've been doing.

Dude, you're doing great. As for the chest sizing, yeah tricky. I think you can do it with just the paper template. If the paper template is going to be the outside of the foam, then just tape those pieces together and imagine there being a 1/2" more on the inside of the shell. I just finished mine and I think I made it a tad too big. I took the measurement straight across my chest, from armpit to armpit and then added a couple inches. I think my problem was adding the couple inches, maybe just one inch extra for me next time. Nice work on the helmet!

Dirtdives

Looks good bro! Double wall? U mean kinda like the way Crimmson does his torso models. If so I would print just the inside wall first, the parts that will be touching your body. Should be quick, and easy to put together. If the sizing looks good on that, then you should be good to go with assembling the outside.

Quick weekend update:

Don't normally do on a Sunday but just had to thank all of you. Kind words and encouragement go a long way. I did resize the chest and the test piece came out perfect. Have to get back to work to get the rest printed out as I only did the very front section and it sat on my chest like it was made for me..........um.......well it kind of was....:facepalm, some body can shot me now. Any way how everyone weekend is going better than mine is. After taking a nice tumble on my bike yesterday, a 40 mile ride I ended up w/ heatstroke and dehydration. Fun fun fun. Spent the rest of the day indoors and passed out!!

Still I did get some more of my helmet done and here are pics of the test chest pieces......

IMG-20160718-01397.jpgIMG-20160718-01398.jpgIMG-20160718-01399.jpg

I think the sizing is perfect!!! I just need to finish a few pieces of the helmet, fill in some of the gaps and torn edges (due to having ham-hands) and start fiber-glassing it. So my mid month time frame for helmet completion passed but I'm not feeling the pressure I though I would. The helmet is coming out better than I hoped, the chest piece is ready for foaming......and I still have 3 1/2 months to go....... Its all good.

Update:

Almost done!!!! I have a few last pieces to put on but ..........I have too many pieces........I think i may have some template pieces from a different build or some thing....Or i haven't gotten up to them yet but for the life of me...can't see where they would go. 1 thing I have an issue w/ now is the opening. Since I began working on the lower sections the opening has gotten too small for my ginormous noggin. So either I cut away at some of the lower section or do a 2 part helmet w/ a hinge. I think I'll be going w/ the 2 part hinge style as I don't want to cut away at any of the details nor do I want to redo this to a larger size. The helmet interior fits just fine and any larger would turn me in to a bobble head.

IMG-20160721-01403.jpgIMG-20160721-01404.jpg

Overall, I'm very happy w/ the way it turned out. A few spots to fix and a few holes to fill but nothing major. I should begin resining it this weekend and full fiberglass by next weekend. Then I can get started on hinging it. Question: Do I complete the helmet build first, bondo and sand the outside then cut or cut after fiberglass then bondo and sand?

I've had to cut away the opening on all mine. The downside to trying to be a video game character, we don't got those pixilated bodies. :) If you do go the hinge route then you'll want to at least fiberglass it before you cut, otherwise they might not be the same shape when you go to put them back together. I'd even bondo it before cutting too, just so that you know the thickness will match up also. Looking good, I don't think I've seen that helmet done before, at least not in pep. I may be mistaken. It looks cool though. Sorry to hear about your bike accident. Hopefully you are feeling back to normal now.

Thanks PerniciousDuke....Small cut on my knee, scrapped elbow and a bruised ego; and normal is a matter of perspective :wacko. I need a better bike but at 800-1k$ for a decent low end one, isn't happening any time soon........

So, finish fiber-glassing, then bondo and smooth then cut so both halves are the same thickness......Got it. Didn't think of that aspect of it. Now to find the right hinges and locking clasps.

Thanks SavedbyGraceG12, I plan on not sacrificing detail and not looking like a bobble head.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice pep work ya got there. I had to cut open the neck areas on all 3 helmets I've done just like Pernicious Duke said. The files are ripped from the game where the world of physics doesn't apply. By enlarging the neck opening I didn't feel much was lost in the overall look.

Thanks PerniciousDuke.... Now to find the right hinges and locking clasps.

No problem. Hopefully someone who's done a hinge helmet can chime in because they are out there, but probably hard to find without combing through a lot of threads. I did a hinge on my Pipboy (linked in my signature). I just used regular tiny cabinet hinges I found at a bigger hardware store. Something you'd use on like a jewelry box. and I literally just screwed them into the fiberglass. Not the greatest idea, but it worked. I also used superglue (or locktite) on the threads and the underside of the head to keep it in. And I hot glued the threads so the screws didn't poke me. I'm pretty sure I took some good photos of it for that thread. (post #23) The latches were a bit trickier for me, and I think I just got lucky.

Glad to hear you're at Dirtdives' normality. :p I got my last bike on craiglist. It was older, in great condition, and like 1/10th of the price new. Also when I got there, the lady was like, oh do you need a helmet, here, do you need a bike pump, here, do you need and extra tire tube and a bike lock! Lol. Sadly she was quitting biking, but it worked out for me. :)

No problem. Hopefully someone who's done a hinge helmet can chime in because they are out there, but probably hard to find without combing through a lot of threads. I did a hinge on my Pipboy (linked in my signature). I just used regular tiny cabinet hinges I found at a bigger hardware store. Something you'd use on like a jewelry box. and I literally just screwed them into the fiberglass. Not the greatest idea, but it worked. I also used superglue (or locktite) on the threads and the underside of the head to keep it in. And I hot glued the threads so the screws didn't poke me. I'm pretty sure I took some good photos of it for that thread. (post #23) The latches were a bit trickier for me, and I think I just got lucky.

Glad to hear you're at Dirtdives' normality. :p I got my last bike on craiglist. It was older, in great condition, and like 1/10th of the price new. Also when I got there, the lady was like, oh do you need a helmet, here, do you need a bike pump, here, do you need and extra tire tube and a bike lock! Lol. Sadly she was quitting biking, but it worked out for me. :)

Yeeeeaaaahhhhhh........I'm in NY. We don't have people out this way giving stuff away for free........We're lucky if it doesn't get stolen from us on the way home......out of the car....while we're still in it!!!

Nice pep work ya got there. I had to cut open the neck areas on all 3 helmets I've done just like Pernicious Duke said. The files are ripped from the game where the world of physics doesn't apply. By enlarging the neck opening I didn't feel much was lost in the overall look.

Thanks mandoman247, I'm just afraid if I cut away at the base too much, I'll be cutting in to the lower side wall and some really nice details that took a long time to get just right.....I'm still at the 1st layer of resin stage so I guess I'l play it by ear for the moment. Still like the idea of the hing.

Ok I have another question. The arms for the Centurion are on the same PDO file, hand plate, forearm and bicep/shoulder. For my measurement should I be going from fingertip to top of shoulder or wrist to top of shoulder or to the armpit?

Yeeeeaaaahhhhhh........I'm in NY. We don't have people out this way giving stuff away for free........We're lucky if it doesn't get stolen from us on the way home......out of the car....while we're still in it!!!

Ok I have another question. The arms for the Centurion are on the same PDO file, hand plate, forearm and bicep/shoulder. For my measurement should I be going from fingertip to top of shoulder or wrist to top of shoulder or to the armpit?

You don't have computer-savvy hippies in NY? Sad face.

I hope I'm not hoggin' all the help light... but.. Here's what I would do: Find the pieces for one piece of the armor and make sure they are all on their own pages, like handplates pages 1-2, forearm pages 3-9 and so forth. Size and print just one of the sections (ie pages 1-2), size and print the next section and so on. You may get lucky and all of the pieces in the pdo are proportional to you, but if not just size one section and print it out. Yes, I understand that you can only size the whole PDO file, but after you size the whole file,you can go in and use the "measure distance" tool to see what the length is of say just the handplate from tip to wrist... measure your hand from tip to wrist.. if they are close great.. if not just reenter a new scale and remeasure. I hope that made sense. If you're not sure about the measure distance tool, there is a tutorial on here and you can google it with the word pepakura to find it. Worth noting that it can sometimes be deceiving when you click on a point in the 3d model to measure the distance... turns out where you clicked was behind where you thought you click, so it's a good idea to rotate the model around after you click a spot.

Just checking in w/ you guys, I'm still alive.....just life getting in the way. I started w/ the first coat of resin last week but work kept me too busy to do anything other than work, eat, and sleep. Hopefully I can get something done this weekend.

I'm still unsure of how to size the arms so I did some test pieces w/ the hand plate....Which one do you guys think would be a better fit. I can't seem to find a good screen shot of him or at least a close up of his hand to get an idea if i'm in the ballpark w/ the sizing. IMG-20160727-01412.jpg IMG-20160727-01413.jpg

So in my mind both are viable. Since it will "wrap" around my had a bit after being attached to my glove. This is going to be the size for the balance of the arm so hopefully I get it right.

Embarrassing Picture time........I mean, Weekend Update!!

Couldn't get any Fiber-glassing done due to the weather. It has been a rainy mess at the Jersey shore. So I decided to work on my armor this weekend.......and the second I plugged in my hot glue gun it blew up on me......Literally. Plugged it in and something must have come loose internally because it shorted out and tripped the circuit breaker for the house.......so no glue gun on hand........not going to get another as I have 3 more at home......not to be put off, I decided to tape together what I have and go for a test fit:

IMG-20160801-01422.jpg

This was at 5:30 this morning so if you look any better.........good for you. This was pre-coffee and I know I could have used a shave after I saw this pic but was running late for work.....can always do it later.

Good news is I will pick up my spare glue gun tonight and get back to my armor tomorrow. Tonight I will devote some time to my M247H.....something I have been neglecting......

There are certain spots of the armor that didn't translate so well to foam so I will have a lot of touch-ups and fill-ins to do. Obviously the tape covers the seams but once I hot glue everything, I hope my lines will be as straight as I think/hope they are. Overall the size is perfect. I still have to add a bit more to the shoulders, abs, back and the jet packs have yet to be done, but once I have those attached, I have to split it somewhere to allow me to put it back on. Not sure if I'll be able to wiggle my frame into it like a pullover shirt.

Overall it fits good and I have some wiggle room time-wise and size-wise to correct anything wrong.......crossing the fingers now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back