Centurion Build

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dude. I haven't looked in on your posts in a while. Love the way its turning out.
Now is using a 2mm craft foam to cover gaps and seams a common technique? Or is the main reason to do it, is to give the effect that its one single piece. I have seen a few other people do the same thing.
Is it easier to do it this than say using some sort of filler and then sand?

I don't know if it is a "New technique" but I too have seen others doing that same and tried it on a smaller scale until I used it on the chest piece. It covers all of the "poor" seams and mistakes of the build but there will always be a seam somewhere. And again yes, craft foam is fine enough that there are no pot-holes that need filling like the mat-EVAs do so that is one less thing to worry about. Now to be fair, I started using hot glue to attach the craft foam.....and because the glue has depth to it, it left glue lines visible in the CF (Craft Foam....tired of writing that out), so I went with contact cement. You do have to make sure to allow some time between painting on the glue to attaching the pieces together. It gives a more permanent adhesion rather than glue and paste right away.....read the directions......Any who.....here is a quick update:

Base undercoat of a few of the pieces. This is an antique pewter color that closely matches the color of the undercoat in Fred's suit....
Regular chrome or a silver is too bright of a color. I already have my outer coat color so I'm going to give this a day or so to dry and then start painting again.......one small set towards finishing.

And I found a perfect fit of a tube to make a muzzle for my DMR. Sorry the pic is a bit dark, I finished late yesterday and a pic taken outside would be even worse. A nice coat of black to start with. While the foamboard portion shows as a high gloss shine, the CF gives off a matte black look that I like. Next will be to accent the details w/ some gun metal gray and .....something else.....don't know what yet....and then top it off w/ a clear coat to seal the paint. Speaking of paint....I have to redo the ammo clip. Even w/ this one coat of paint, the sleeve is too tight to receive the mag now......so I have to redo and build w/ 1 less slice or take off some of the paper coatings from the FB. Just enough for the clip to fit.

That's it for now.........

Thanks......it looks like everything is falling in to place. God willing I'll get it all done.

So here is a better pic of the DMR....and started w/ some detail painting.....Some gunmetal grey:

So my 2nd detail color will be lighter grey....and I still have to orange tip the muzzle to be in Con compliance. And yes behind the DMR is the templates for an AR for my daughter.....separate thread for later.

DMR looks great.
Question, even though we are in different countries, how did you get a hold of gunmetal coloured paint? I haven't had any luck at my local craft/art stores or even hardware places.

Before I got into cosplay....I did 28mm fantasy figures......I used gunmetal grey to paint some of the armor and weapons.......so I've had this paint for a while.....water based so if it dries up just add a bit of water and stir.....refreshed paint.......look for those locations that sell miniatures......they should have the paint color near enough.....you could also look for the color "Chain-mail" and add a little black to it to darken it up a bit. When I get home I'll get you the name brand.

Ooooooh getting to that painting, I like it. I'm painting mine as well but you will probably finish first :D. I paint slow:whistle:.

Can't wait to see how it turns out!

[quote = "Dirtdives, post: 734844, miembros: 19476"] No Es Problema de la ONU. Dispáñeme PM ONU de la estafa su Correo electrónico y puedo enviarle el archivo.

Sólo sepas Para Que, estoy Usando Google Translate .... Yo no hablo español bronceado busque, dispite Mi esposa Siendo Mexicana ... simplemente Nunca lo recogió. [/ Quote]

Dirtdives mira mi correo glassesjack@gmail.com gracias (tanque que mi correo electrónico glassesjack@gmail.com )

No es un problema. Dispáñeme un PM con su correo electrónico y puedo enviarle el archivo.

Sólo para que sepas, estoy usando Google Translate .... Yo no hablo español tan bien, dispite mi esposa siendo Mexicana ... simplemente nunca lo recogió.
Wait drit knows spanis!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
But aroum looks great

Oh for the love of Pete...........it has been so long since my last update on my own suit......I had forgotten what the title was and passed over it twice while looking for it......

Anyway, just a small update but a huge issue worked out. Quick synopsis: redid the collar section and increased the width of the chest piece so everything is a bit bulkier...which left the lights of the booster pack facing too low and ineffectual. I did some foam surgery and re-positioned them about 2-3 inches higher.......now I need to do so foam plastic surgery on the back piece to cover up the scarring.

Still haven't touched my helmet.......still have 1 thigh to finish.....nothing is strapped and no undersuit as of yet......as well as seal them and the chest up w/ some 50/50.....then paint. I'm going to go w/ fresh off the line, right out of the box look this time round.....and weather it out for the next con. 11 days till SciFi Valley........Holy crow.......worst part is....I have a lot of family/friend events coming this week........I'm going to be loosing a lot of sleep if I plan of finishing either of our suits.....This one and my daughter's ODSK.

Damn, I've missed quite a lot of progress on your build! O_O

It looks amazing! O_O
I love how much those small details do. It looks VERY impressive, Dirtdives! O_O

Thanks CommanderPalmer. Once I started adding details....I couldn't stop. I needed to get more and more in and on to the suit. I may have shot myself in the foot though and wasted too much time on those little details,w/o getting the whole suit done first.......I have a few days left......lets see what happens.

Oh damn, so you gonna rush it or rather wanna pass?
I don't want to impose or anything, but please don't rush! It's all those small great details that make it look so great! :D

Personally I regret rushing on mine. Sure there are many things I have learned during the process too, but I regret rushing so I could make it in time for a con, because there were already things I wasn't happy with and which bothered me the whole time.
Sure, making it to an event is great but you have to ask yourself if you rather rush to make it in time and possibly not be fully happy due rushing, or rather pass and take your time and go 'civil'.
It's of course your decision. :)

I just wanted to say you're doing an amazing job and I love all those details. <3

Not rushing really.....I've already started to paint the base coat.....its just these last 2 pieces that need the final assembly that is delaying the whole process........including my daughters build ......... I'm very happy w/ the results thus far. This event would be the soft showing as it were......NYC CC is where I will put the finishing touches and weathering to it. That will be in early October so I have time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back