CEREAL'S - Making Master Chief - ** A Step By Step Tutorial (My Way) **

Status
Not open for further replies.
Another excellent video! I was excited to see that you are building your connection points very similar to the way I had planned on building mine. Gives me a little confidence in my plans! I'm anxious to see how you create your battle damage. I doubt I'll actually utilze that in my MkVI build, but it'd be nice to know for future projects, and the battle damage you have on your helmet looks sharp!

What would your thoughts be about creating a harness for the torso? I'm planning on attaching a shoulder mounted harness to my backplate so the whole torso would be securely attached, then the breastplate would attach pretty much the same way you've shown here. So, essentially, you'd put the backplate on like a hiking backpack (shoulder straps and a strap across the chest for stability), then attach the breastplate. I figure that would be better than letting the sides of the torso rest completely on your shoulders (I imagine that would get uncomfortable after a while).

Awesome work! I'm looking forward to the next video!

Another excellent video! I was excited to see that you are building your connection points very similar to the way I had planned on building mine. Gives me a little confidence in my plans! I'm anxious to see how you create your battle damage. I doubt I'll actually utilze that in my MkVI build, but it'd be nice to know for future projects, and the battle damage you have on your helmet looks sharp!

What would your thoughts be about creating a harness for the torso? I'm planning on attaching a shoulder mounted harness to my backplate so the whole torso would be securely attached, then the breastplate would attach pretty much the same way you've shown here. So, essentially, you'd put the backplate on like a hiking backpack (shoulder straps and a strap across the chest for stability), then attach the breastplate. I figure that would be better than letting the sides of the torso rest completely on your shoulders (I imagine that would get uncomfortable after a while).

Awesome work! I'm looking forward to the next video!

Thank you!
Yes, I ended up tossing around different ideas on how to re-connect the torso. After trying the piece on, it quickly came to my attention that there would be "No Way In Hell" that I would be able to fit my hand and arm into the torso to release any type of clipping system. The room just isn't there! So magnets it was! However, in my opinion the clips and straps functioning as a "back up" are a must!

Yes, I agree. I enjoy doing battle damage. It gives that personal touch and added realism. But at the same time, you have to be careful because it can get to be too much very quickly!

As far as a Harness for the torso, I'm way ahead of you with pretty well the same thought. After wearing the torso piece, I've decided that I don't want it resting on my shoulders. "Not that comfy!!" I will be affixing a harness to the inside of the back piece and straps will criss cross my chest (top right meeting lower left... and so on) and connect in the center. With proper adjustment the back piece will never touch my shoulders and make for a comfortalbe wearing experience. As an added bonus, this will also increase range of motion because the piece will essentially be 'floating' in place.

Dave/Cereal.

So, now that I'm re-watching all your videos, I realized you don't use what I thought you did for an applicator. I originally thought you had cut up one of the Bondo brand applicators, but it doesn't look like that now that I look at it carefully, so what DO you use?

So, now that I'm re-watching all your videos, I realized you don't use what I thought you did for an applicator. I originally thought you had cut up one of the Bondo brand applicators, but it doesn't look like that now that I look at it carefully, so what DO you use?

You're right! Very observent ;)
I do not use cut up bondo brand applicators to apply bondo.

... I use non bondo brand bondo applicators that have been cut up! :p

And the answer is YES,
I am fully aware that I am an ass! ;)

Just a quick update,
A new video should be up by Saturday night.
Have to move quick if I want to get any work done this weekend, if I try to work on Sunday (fathers day) my wife will be less than impressed!

Till then,
Dave/Cereal

I just wanted to take a moment and say:

HAPPY FATHER'S DAY!

I hope all you fathers out there have a great day with the people that matter most!

(That would be you're family outside of the 405th! ;) )

Warm Regards,
Dave/Cereal.

Last edited by a moderator:
Another great video! I just keep learning new tips that I can incorporate into my own build.

You mentioned that if anyone would like anything covered to speak up. I requested this on your build thread, but I'll go ahead and ask here as well. You showed the trenches (detail lines) you had carved into the side of your backplate, which look great. I was wondering if you could cover your method for creating those trench lines. Detail lines and panel lines are something I have a lot of trouble getting to look right. Mine have a tendency to look like I carved them out rather than looking like the armor was manufacured that way. Thanks.

Awesome work. :D

Thanks thorn!

Another great video! I just keep learning new tips that I can incorporate into my own build.

You mentioned that if anyone would like anything covered to speak up. I requested this on your build thread, but I'll go ahead and ask here as well. You showed the trenches (detail lines) you had carved into the side of your backplate, which look great. I was wondering if you could cover your method for creating those trench lines. Detail lines and panel lines are something I have a lot of trouble getting to look right. Mine have a tendency to look like I carved them out rather than looking like the armor was manufacured that way. Thanks.

I'm very happy that you are incorporating new ideas into your own build! Glad to help out :)
I did see you're request for the trenches "how to" in my build thread... thought I answered it? ... hrmm...
The trenches will be covered in the next video when the back piece is completed, sit tight they are on the way! :)

Dave/Cereal.

I did see you're request for the trenches "how to" in my build thread... thought I answered it? ... hrmm...

Uh, oops, you did respond to that, but I didn't see it until just now, sorry. Cool, I'll be waiting patiently. Thanks for everything you're doing here!

I just watched episode 7, and look forward to watching 1-6. However, I have a question: I've heard before about the need of a respirator, but I didn't see you using one. Now, I've leaned towards the side of foam because of these toxins, but are you using less toxic materials or certain methods to reduce toxin intake? Forgive me if it's been answered before, I'm just curious because making a foam helmet doesn't sound appealing.

Uh, oops, you did respond to that, but I didn't see it until just now, sorry. Cool, I'll be waiting patiently. Thanks for everything you're doing here!

Haha, No problem!
Glad to help out :)

I just watched episode 7, and look forward to watching 1-6. However, I have a question: I've heard before about the need of a respirator, but I didn't see you using one. Now, I've leaned towards the side of foam because of these toxins, but are you using less toxic materials or certain methods to reduce toxin intake? Forgive me if it's been answered before, I'm just curious because making a foam helmet doesn't sound appealing.

Thanks for the question, here is my answer:

Working with Poly resin does require the use of a respirator. (As clearly stated in the directions as well as warnings on the product itself)
For all intensive purposes, yes I use a respirator when using Glass/Resin. However, when using Bondo/Rondo if I'm in an area that is well ventilated (garage having both bay doors as well as the back door open) I don't kick up a fuss. Plus, I wanted to be clearly understood in the videos. As far as when I am sanding, you can't see it in the videos due to the tight angle that I shoot them in, (so you can actually see what's going on) but much more often than not, I am indeed wearing a 3M paper mask to keep from inhaling the sanding debris.

(This is the way 'I' work, and have done so for years. I am a firm believer that respratory protection should be warn at all times when dealing with chemicals such as fillers/resins/paints)

That being said, Glad to answer :) and happy to hear that you are enjoying the videos!

Cheers,
Dave/Cereal.

Last edited by a moderator:
You are a Godsend. I've recently started trying to get my foot in the door with this, and watching your videos has given me much needed insight.
I do have a few questions, though, and I apologize if they've already been answered in the thread.
1. In one of your videos, you said that fiberglass would be better for suits meant to be worn for a prolonged period of time. Is this mostly because of weight, or is Rondo not quite as durable? Would your advice on a 50/50 rondo coat, a fiberglass coat, and then a 75/25 Rondo coat stand up to extensive wear?
Also, will you always be able to smell the resin after it has dried, or will it dissipate entirely after a bit?
If you get the time, I'd appreciate a response, and I hope you are able to keep making these amazing pieces of work!

You are a Godsend. I've recently started trying to get my foot in the door with this, and watching your videos has given me much needed insight.
I do have a few questions, though, and I apologize if they've already been answered in the thread.
1. In one of your videos, you said that fiberglass would be better for suits meant to be worn for a prolonged period of time. Is this mostly because of weight, or is Rondo not quite as durable? Would your advice on a 50/50 rondo coat, a fiberglass coat, and then a 75/25 Rondo coat stand up to extensive wear?
Also, will you always be able to smell the resin after it has dried, or will it dissipate entirely after a bit?
If you get the time, I'd appreciate a response, and I hope you are able to keep making these amazing pieces of work!

Glad I could provide some info for you to use :)
To answer you're questions:
  • Yes and Yes! Bondo can get quite heavy, quite quickly. That aside, while bondo/rondo offers quick and total coverage, the strength you gain from using just 2 layers of fiberglass is unmatched! When I build things to be durable and wearable; I use 1 thin layer of rondo (just to fill in all the fine spots) then 2 layers of fiberglass for strength. Then, if it suits you, another thin coat of rondo to smooth things out. (just in case you're a messy glasser! ;) )
  • There seems to be a bit of confusion when it comes to "rondo mixtures". Let me try and clarify: When 'I' use rondo, the ratio of the mixture is based on need. If I am looking to do a thin coat or be sure to get into very tight areas, I use a 50/50 mix. If I'm trying to build thickness, I'll use just a bit of resin to give the consistancy of honey say 80/20. As far as durability with different ratios goes, the differency is slight.
  • With regars to the "smell" of resing/bondo, it does go away. If the smell remains quite strong for more than a handfull of days, there is the possibility that it did not cure correctly, due to ambient temp or a hardener mis-measure.

Hope the info helps you out!
If you have anymore questions, feel free in asking! (what this thread is for ;) )

Dave/Cereal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back