CEREAL'S - Making Master Chief - ** A Step By Step Tutorial (My Way) **

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just found this thread and watched the first video...

I loved it. I have read many tutorials here and elsewhere on the web, but this has been my favourite of all of them. Your pace is great, you aren't lingering on topics or rushing through them. You are also covering the "Why" aspect of the proceedure instead of simply just giving us a how-to guide. I never knew why resin didn't cure properly in cool temperatures, now I do.

Thanks for all the work that you put into these videos, they are well appreciated.

Now I'm off to go watch the rest of them.

Cereal:

What about doing a "live stream" of building a single piece, something small probably, like a handplate? I'm thinking something like when webcomic artists put up time lapse videos of them making their comic. Even though you "know" how they do it: Open Photoshop, Draw Comic. You don't really "know" what all is going on in there (use templates, side screen with palette, different layers, etc...). I think a lot of us could learn a lot from you just from little things that you take advantage of that seem miniscule to you, but would make a big difference to someone that doesn't know to do that.

Just a thought that I had :)

Where y'all looking to move? Not to saskatchabush I hope...

Nope, New Brunswick!
Time for some land and space to build my workshop!

I just found this thread and watched the first video...

I loved it. I have read many tutorials here and elsewhere on the web, but this has been my favourite of all of them. Your pace is great, you aren't lingering on topics or rushing through them. You are also covering the "Why" aspect of the proceedure instead of simply just giving us a how-to guide. I never knew why resin didn't cure properly in cool temperatures, now I do.

Thanks for all the work that you put into these videos, they are well appreciated.

Now I'm off to go watch the rest of them.

Glad the videos helped out!
Keeps me motivated to do them!

Cereal:

What about doing a "live stream" of building a single piece, something small probably, like a handplate? I'm thinking something like when webcomic artists put up time lapse videos of them making their comic. Even though you "know" how they do it: Open Photoshop, Draw Comic. You don't really "know" what all is going on in there (use templates, side screen with palette, different layers, etc...). I think a lot of us could learn a lot from you just from little things that you take advantage of that seem miniscule to you, but would make a big difference to someone that doesn't know to do that.

Just a thought that I had :)

Sorry, I've never heard of making a live comic with PS...
Will try to get into a bit more detail with the ''little things'' in future.

Wow good job, this is a very informative thread for those who wanna make halo 3 armor.

Glad you like!

Sorry, I've never heard of making a live comic with PS...
Will try to get into a bit more detail with the ''little things'' in future.

Maybe I didn't explain it right, I meant something like this:
http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/2112457
This is Tim Buckley, author and artist for Ctrl-Alt-Delete. You can see how he starts out with a rough sketch, draws in the darker lines, and proceeds from there to color and finalize. This isn't the best example because it doesn't have audio, and shows only a small portion of his screen, but I couldn't find a better stream on short notice.

So what I imagine is starting with a screen grab of Pepakura, and your voice over explaining how you scaled the model, laid out the pieces, and then hit print. Then we jump to you having the cardstock and doing whatever prep work you do (scoring, penning, whatever). Then you cutting out the pieces, assembling, and commenting along the way.

The general idea being that we get to see your actual work flow. You produce some of the cleanest pep pieces I've ever seen, and from there things only get better. I think it would be excellent for people to be able to see the "whole" process!

Hopefully I was more clear this time, let me know if it still doesn't make sense and I'll see if I can come up with a better example. (Just thought of something, think "This Old House" but instead of remodeling step by step we're building from the ground up, almost documentary style, but very informative.)

Dude, I am absolutely loving your tutorials! I've just watched one of them and now I want to watch the rest of them. Very informative and not rushed.

THANK YOU!!!

(and good choice of music in the background) :)

Just gonna say that these are brilliantly informative. I was referred to these videos ages ago but i've been going through stage by stage as I go through my build and its made things sooo much easier to understand. :)

UPDATE!

Hey everybody, just wanted to post an update so those who are interested will know what's up.

No, the thread/build isn't dead! Lol
I have been busy for the last month and a half finalizing a real estate deal and preparing to move. (Fun, fun!) The last week has been frantic as all of our things needed packing for the arrival of the movers, yesterday. Quite the expensive move as all our things are being moved 1350kms / 839Mi across from Ontario to New Brunswick.

However...
I just wanted everyone to know how difficult it has been to not be able to work on the build
And that the build as well as the videos will be back in to full swing in a couple of weeks or so, once everything is settled in at the new place!

Until then...
Happy building all!

Cheers,
Dave/Cereal.

Best of luck with the move! I hope that your new place has an awesome garage for armour building! I shall wait here eagerly awaiting your next video update! (I can be fairly patient, so take a bit of time to settle in and turn the new place into a home first)

Question cereal: so I see in your vids that once uve cleaned and finished a side you put a coat of primer on it. Now the area that you work on and finish u also put a coat of primer on it but I guess Im asking do u sand off the old primer before the new coat goes on or do u spray around the completed area? Thanks love these vids cuz I'm just starting the bondo process on my h3/mixed recon helm and i just messed with bondo on a mach up piece to practice on. So thank you for all this info much appreciated happy building

UPDATE TIME!!!
Hey everybody!
Long time.... yes... I know :(

However... I'm just about back! I will be back into the swing of things by next week. I've been trying to get things set up in the house first. (have to prioritize, or the wife will anger :angry )

Anyways, things will resume as per normal shortly. I have 4-5 more videos that I plan to make in the short term, so everyone keep their panties on... I'm on my way :)

In my unpacking adventure, I have located my leftover casts from the last MK VI helmet run. They are available for sale on a "first come, first serve basis". These will be the last of the helmet casts for quite some time. So when they're gone... they're gone. Anyone interested, fire me a PM.

Once again... great to be typing this! As it means my time has started to loosen up. More to come soon!

Cheers all!
Dave/Cereal

Last edited by a moderator:
FINALLY!!!!!! HE'S BACK FROM THE DEAD!!! Lol, nice to see you back in the swing of things :)!

Enjoy All! I'm one of them. I need all the help I can get with this aspect of pepakura thanks so much Ceriel!

-Seth

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back