CEREAL'S - Making Master Chief - ** A Step By Step Tutorial (My Way) **

Status
Not open for further replies.
Awesome! Thanks for the reply.
I started working on a Marine helmet from H3 as a starter to get acquainted with the different techniques. I did the outer resin layer with very few problems ( except when the resin turned to jelly and I got a few lumps stuck on there). I got to the first layer of fiberglass on the interior, and needless to say, it was not very pretty. I plan on doing a rondo layer to see how it turns out.

hello
i have a problem
when i use bondo it seems smooth but instead when i paint the surface it have a lot of cracks
how to fix?
sorry for bad english i'm italian

Awesome! Thanks for the reply.
I started working on a Marine helmet from H3 as a starter to get acquainted with the different techniques. I did the outer resin layer with very few problems ( except when the resin turned to jelly and I got a few lumps stuck on there). I got to the first layer of fiberglass on the interior, and needless to say, it was not very pretty. I plan on doing a rondo layer to see how it turns out.

Yeah, unless you're a 'pro glasser' you're not going to get a smooth surface on the inside, this is why I say to rondo a thin layer over top of the fiberglass.
Cheers, Good luck on the Marine helmet!

hello
i have a problem
when i use bondo it seems smooth but instead when i paint the surface it have a lot of cracks
how to fix?
sorry for bad english i'm italian

Could you show me some pictures of the cracking?
It would be much easier if I could see what it looks like.

Ok, now in Italian!

Si potrebbero mostrare alcune immagini di... "cracking?" <--(è corretto?)
Sarebbe molto più facile se potessi vedere quello che sembra.

Grazie,
Dave/Cereal.

thanks for the italian translation but i understand english XD
as quick as i can i will show u the photos
thanks

ps crack in italian is "crepa"
cracks is "crepe"

awesome an usual. What do you figure was the total cost of all your materials for making the mold?

All in all...
I would say that it cost about $200. give or take.
That would be just for the material for the mold, obviously not including the cost of plastic or pigment and time.

Dave.

I Just want to say thank you for making such in depth videos for this suit, they are really great and they are really helping me understand parts of the build i wasn't before! and i cant wait to see how the whole suit comes out.

Seeing your mold made me think of it, but the MK VI helmet would actually look pretty baller with a studded mohawk (similar to how it looks with your registration keys up top). You could start your own line of punk-rock Master Chief suits :D.

Just watched the vid, i must say it made me smile. I totally feel your pain on the length it took. The rubber is an all day thing if you want to do it right. There are ways to cut time, but I don't feel it works nearly as well. I hate to admit it, but your look of exhaustion was awesome. It's the mark of a true artist :) welcome to the molding and casting club big guy.

I Just want to say thank you for making such in depth videos for this suit, they are really great and they are really helping me understand parts of the build i wasn't before! and i cant wait to see how the whole suit comes out.

I'm happy to make the videos! As long as they continue to help others, I'll continue to make them!
Glad to have helped you out!

Seeing your mold made me think of it, but the MK VI helmet would actually look pretty baller with a studded mohawk (similar to how it looks with your registration keys up top). You could start your own line of punk-rock Master Chief suits :D.

Lol, yeah that would be kinda cool to see!

Just watched the vid, i must say it made me smile. I totally feel your pain on the length it took. The rubber is an all day thing if you want to do it right. There are ways to cut time, but I don't feel it works nearly as well. I hate to admit it, but your look of exhaustion was awesome. It's the mark of a true artist :) welcome to the molding and casting club big guy.

Lmao, thanks!
It just goes to prove that what something looks like 'on paper is completely different than how it actually goes!
Haha, yes.,, I was indeed tired! Its a good indication you're spent when you're saying good night to the camera when it's 10:00am!!!
I agree with you completely with regards to taking your time, yes it takes longer... but I could not be happier with the way the mold came out!

Cheers,
Dave.

Dude your videos are inspiring! When ever I see questions on glassed armour building I just refer to this thread cause in my opinion there is no where better to learn how it's done. You are a true master of your craft and have really stepped the bar up as far as it can be taken.

Love watching and learning from you,
Tom.

P.S. maybe I will attempt moving away from foam at some point, maybe :)

Thanks Tom,
Makes me happy to hear that you're sending people with questions to my video thread, keeps me inspired to make more and lets me know that the effort it takes (as you've figured out by now I'm sure) is worth it! :)

Next videos on the menu are:
1. How to properly size up and scale you're pepakura files.
- This one will hopefully put an end to all of the scaling questions out there!
- For all the "visual" people out there! (like I am) I always understand things much better when I can see it!

2. Finishing off the torso! (can't wait for this one!)
- Nuff said!

Stay tuned,
More to come soon!
Dave/Cereal.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would like to point a scaling thread out as Halogodesses gets the most coverage and I have used this one HERE and have never made a piece to big or too small. I think this thread should be made a major sticky. It's sweet and to the point and does exactly what it says on the tin.

Still it will be interesting to see how you explain it with video.
Tom.

Lol, I've actually spoken with HaloGoddess about this specific video installment and I agree with you 100%. I will be bringing up some of her wonderful techniques within the video. (credits to her, of course!! :) ) Some people seem to read and read... and still not get it just right. I'm hoping that if someone "shows" visually how it's done, a light bulb just might turn on! ;)

Cheers.

Ah, actually what I meant was I think Halogodessess tutorial gets all the glory and the link I posted is over looked and by far the best scaling guide out there. Not discrediting her ofc :)

Stop making videos and just finish your armor!

Only half kidding about that...

The videos are awesome, and I love to see how much more comfortable you've gotten in front of the camera progressively. Like the little script in your hand in the first video that you keep glancing at, and later on you're just talking totally naturally. Nice work. As long as you keep making 'em, I'll keep watching 'em.

Lol thanks!
Glad you're enjoying the videos. Yeah,doing the videos takes some getting used to, every time I see that first video I shake my head! Lol
Work on the suite has been at a stand still for the last little while. I'm actually in a different province as I type this, my wife and I are out house shopping and will be back hone Sunday afternoon. I will be starting back up with videos and working on the suite this week!

Everyone,thank you for your patience!
Keep you're pa TS on all!
More coming soon.

Cheers all,
Dave.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back