Foam Combat Evolved Anniversary Mk.V Foam armor build (with pepakura files!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ODCA

RMO
405th Regiment Officer
Stream Team
I recently sold my halo 2 MK VI armor, and I've been planning to build a new one
now, I'm totally in love with infinite's armor (both Chief's and the multiplayer's Mark VII), but I'd rather wait for more accurate files and reference material once the game is released
so, instead of building a new mark 6, I'd rather go into a more classic direction
I have built an "original" mark V as a commission before
vn66xfl4xty31.jpg

but now I've got my eye on the anniversary version of the armor

First of all, a huge kudos to MoeSizzlac for modeling such an amazing version of the anniversary armor!
His original files can be found here
Screenshot (187).png

what I've started doing, is slightly reduce the model's polygons on 3D builder (they're too HD for pepakura to handle them) and then convert the files to PDO files
And after that, the most fun (and by "fun" I mean painfully time-consuming) step of building pepakura armor, unfolding pep files
Screenshot (184).png

Screenshot (183).png

Screenshot (189).png

so far, I've only unfolded a couple of pieces, and thankfully only ran into one issue, reducing the polygons makes the unfold process easier, but, the polygons don't get reduced symmetrically, which means cutting pieces in half is a bit... difficult, the most notable example is this:
Screenshot (188).png

the unfold of the top/back of the helmet is (in scientific terms) all over the place
what I think would end up being the best course of action is printing the piece, measure it, and draw by hand how the unfold should be, I'll post a pic or even scan the template whenever I build it
I'm gonna unfold the rest of the armor pieces before I start with the build
hopefully, some of you will find the pep files useful in the meantime

thanks again to MoeSizzlac for being a 3D model hero

Attachments

• Halo CE Aniversary HD Belt Back Foam.pdo
    10.7 MB · Views: 402
  • Halo CE Aniversary HD Helmet Back Foam.pdo
    4.1 MB · Views: 648
  • Halo CE Aniversary HD Helmet Main Foam.pdo
    12.6 MB · Views: 502
I recently sold my halo 2 MK VI armor, and I've been planning to build a new one
now, I'm totally in love with infinite's armor (both Chief's and the multiplayer's Mark VII), but I'd rather wait for more accurate files and reference material once the game is released
so, instead of building a new mark 6, I'd rather go into a more classic direction
I have built an "original" mark V as a commission before
View attachment 296208
but now I've got my eye on the anniversary version of the armor

First of all, a huge kudos to MoeSizzlac for modeling such an amazing version of the anniversary armor!
His original files can be found here
View attachment 296207

what I've started doing, is slightly reduce the model's polygons on 3D builder (they're too HD for pepakura to handle them) and then convert the files to PDO files
And after that, the most fun (and by "fun" I mean painfully time-consuming) step of building pepakura armor, unfolding pep files
View attachment 296213
View attachment 296212
View attachment 296215
so far, I've only unfolded a couple of pieces, and thankfully only ran into one issue, reducing the polygons makes the unfold process easier, but, the polygons don't get reduced symmetrically, which means cutting pieces in half is a bit... difficult, the most notable example is this:
View attachment 296214
the unfold of the top/back of the helmet is (in scientific terms) all over the place
what I think would end up being the best course of action is printing the piece, measure it, and draw by hand how the unfold should be, I'll post a pic or even scan the template whenever I build it
I'm gonna unfold the rest of the armor pieces before I start with the build
hopefully, some of you will find the pep files useful in the meantime

thanks again to MoeSizzlac for being a 3D model hero

Looking Nice, but would you like the low poly version? They'd be much better for making PDO files than starting with the High Def versions.
They just need proper unfolding.

Attachments

• MoeSizzlac - Halo CE - Anniversary Low Poly Full Armor.zip
    600.5 KB · Views: 396
Could you split the model cleanly in half (with a knife tool if required), simplify it then mirror it?
Looking Nice, but would you like the low poly version? They'd be much better for making PDO files than starting with the High Def versions.
They just need proper unfolding.
I'll give both methods a shot! Thanks!!

I've got another update on the files I unfolded today
first off, the helmet, I ended up going with PlanetAlexander 's suggestion, but instead of just cutting the model in half, I cut everything off it except the back dome, which is the one piece I needed to have to get a nice curved template, so I could use the 3d model without simplifying it.
Screenshot (197).png

next on my list, the boots, these were almost the easiest piece to unfold, except for the front section, which was time-consuming, since I ended up using the HD 3d model for it (again, it works better for curved pieces) and it didn't give me too much trouble
Screenshot (190).png
Screenshot (191).png
Screenshot (193).png

easiest unfold, the hand plate
I might not use this one and go with the classic curved hand plate of the original MK V armor
I also remember the hand plate being much more detailed in-game, so this pep file but this might help as a base to draw on the details
Screenshot (194).png

second easiest unfold, the shoulder armor
NOTE: the way I unfolded this was with the way I intend to build the shoulder in mind, which is cut the piece of foam and bevel/sand the groove detail in the middle of the shoulder
otherwise, its a pretty easy re-edit on the file if you want to cut the groove as a separate piece
Screenshot (196).png

and finally, the front of the shin armor
on this one, i had my doubts on the result while unfolding it, but it ended u being really pleased with it
ideally, i would've only done half of the armor piece, since it seems symmetrical, but again, by reducing the polygons, i coundn split it exactly in half
either way, this is probably how i woul've traced it on foam anyway
Screenshot (195).png

I'm hopefully gonna be done soon with the files, when i have the full armor unfolded I'll submit them to the armory so they're easier to find

Also, the front boot and the helmet's dome are in zipped folders, seems they're too large to upload as pdo files

Attachments

• Halo CE Aniversary HD Boot Back Left.pdo
    2.3 MB · Views: 319
  • Halo CE Aniversary HD Boot Top Left.pdo
    1.9 MB · Views: 307
  • Halo CE Aniversary HD Handplate Left.pdo
    361.6 KB · Views: 260
  • Halo CE Aniversary HD Shin Left.pdo
    9.5 MB · Views: 436
  • Halo CE Aniversary HD Shoulder.pdo
    6.2 MB · Views: 309
  • MC CEA boot front.zip
    10.7 MB · Views: 252
  • MC CEA Helmet Back Dome.zip
    5 MB · Views: 337
small update, I haven't been able to do much since I'm catching up with some commissioned props, but I managed to squeeze some time to work on the files
the codpiece was a pretty easy one
Screenshot (199).png

Screenshot (203).png

the forearm, was more time consuming than I expected, took me a couple of days, but I'm pretty pleased with the file
Screenshot (202).png

I also imported the files in armorsmith to scale them, which made me realize, I really need to slim the f down, so, i'm adding that to the to-do list
Screenshot (205).png

And one last thing, this thread is not only gonna be the armor, it's also gonna be a build of an MA5B assault rifle to go with the armor

i'm making the halo wars version of the MA5B, since the anniversary is just the halo 3 AR model, and i also really like that updated desgin
here's a pdf template i made in a couple hours for anyone who wants it
MA5B assault rifle template.png

Attachments

• Halo CE Aniversary HD Forearm Left.pdo
    9.4 MB · Views: 344
  • Halo CE Aniversary HD COD Back.pdo
    3.7 MB · Views: 303
  • Halo CE Aniversary HD COD Front.pdo
    4.5 MB · Views: 309
  • MA5B assault rifle template.pdf
    12.2 KB · Views: 338
And one last thing, this thread is not only gonna be the armor, it's also gonna be a build of an MA5B assault rifle to go with the armor

i'm making the halo wars version of the MA5B, since the anniversary is just the halo 3 AR model, and i also really like that updated desgin
here's a pdf template i made in a couple hours for anyone who wants it
Don't think I seen a Halo Wars MA5B done before. Looking forward to seeing it. I like how they added this revolutionary thing called a trigger guard to it!

Don't think I seen a Halo Wars MA5B done before. Looking forward to seeing it. I like how they added this revolutionary thing called a trigger guard to it!
The technological advancements of 2552 are incredible!
Super soldier augmentations
Armor that makes the wearer a one man army
AI
And trigger guard

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back