Companion Cube Wip

Status
Not open for further replies.
DarkBebi said:
You know the first time I played that level, I went in there with the companion cube. I figured if it could hold up my own weight and everything else, it should be able to withstand some fire.

It can, but the incinerator well, incinerates it.

Last edited by a moderator:
If u drop it the right moment then a glitch happens where the door thing to the incinerator catches it and holds it so it wont be incinerated! Oh and on topic to the actual project. What are your plans after the pep stage is done

Roadwarrior said:
Looking good, just don't make the mistake I did and incinerate yours, *Sobs*"WHHHYYYY!??!?".

TBH, I really did cry somewhat after that level lol.

So what you're actually saying is that I have to build an incinerator too? Damnit, more work...

When I incinerated it the first time, I truly believed Glados telling me I was the fastest one ever. I was like "oooh firefirefirefirefirefirefirebyyyye cuuubieee!" and amazingly happy to see him go.

DarkBebi said:
You know the first time I played that level, I went in there with the companion cube. I figured if it could hold up my own weight and everything else, it should be able to withstand some fire.

An incinerator is more than "some fire". It's way more fun than that!

Squirtle117 said:
If u drop it the right moment then a glitch happens where the door thing to the incinerator catches it and holds it so it wont be incinerated! Oh and on topic to the actual project. What are your plans after the pep stage is done

I haven't got the entire project planned out actually. I'm going to be building the pep first, to see how well it comes out. If it comes out as well as I like it, I might just go ahead and resin and slushcast it with smoothcast, then finding some way to give it some weight. If it comes out slightly warped, I need to think about reinforcing the big flat surfaces first, and then I might just use that reinforcement to give the cube stability and such... We'll see...

Hey AceHigh, Do you have any updated pictures of it for us? So... some bad news here. I was trying to fold some pieces and got thirsty So I went to the gas station and got myself a Dr. Pepper... Well you get the rest :( Sooooo I reprinted it all out and now re cutting it.

DarkBebi said:
Hey AceHigh, Do you have any updated pictures of it for us? So... some bad news here. I was trying to fold some pieces and got thirsty So I went to the gas station and got myself a Dr. Pepper... Well you get the rest :( Sooooo I reprinted it all out and now re cutting it.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kmhBb7gJkc0[/media]

im going to build a companionn cube at some point also

adventSpartanMatrix said:
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kmhBb7gJkc0[/media]

im going to build a companionn cube at some point also

That is so sad :(. But I still love Dr. Pepper as it doesn't corrode your teeth as bad as Mt. Dew. I wish the best of luck on your companion cube. You better post updates now and then ^^.

DarkBebi said:
That is so sad :( . But I still love Dr. Pepper as it doesn't corrode your teeth as bad as Mt. Dew. I wish the best of luck on your companion cube. You better post updates now and then ^^.

I like Dr.pepper, but I like Mtdew more, if it's corroding you're teeth, you're drinking it wrong. :D

"""You better post updates now and then ^^."""

Agreed.

Lol, I'm really glad you guys like the project, but don't push me! :pAfter all, this is only a side project, most of my time go into Jorge.

I have made some progress though. The large, flat pieces of the cube are a very welcome break from pepping the barrel of Jorge's chaingun. This is what I have so far:

CCprogress3.jpg

It's really starting to hold itself together, and I think once I can add two more corners to have a completed side, it's going to hold up much better. Right now it can't really hold up its own weight, so a few places are a bit warped, although it might not be so easy to see in the picture. I am beginning to nurture the idea of getting myself a Craft Robo, it would make things sooo much easier, and I don't really like cutting paper (no, I really don't). We'll see...

AceHigh said:
Lol, I'm really glad you guys like the project, but don't push me! :pAfter all, this is only a side project, most of my time go into Jorge.

I have made some progress though. The large, flat pieces of the cube are a very welcome break from pepping the barrel of Jorge's chaingun. This is what I have so far:

CCprogress3.jpg

It's really starting to hold itself together, and I think once I can add two more corners to have a completed side, it's going to hold up much better. Right now it can't really hold up its own weight, so a few places are a bit warped, although it might not be so easy to see in the picture. I am beginning to nurture the idea of getting myself a Craft Robo, it would make things sooo much easier, and I don't really like cutting paper (no, I really don't). We'll see...

whaaaaaaaaaaaat... How come I have never heard of this Craft Robo? This would make everyones life so much easier... What model do you recommend?

EDIT: BTW, awesome job on the companion cube, it is looking so nice. I honestly don't see any warping, but why not making the um... struts? the pieces to hold them in place? Or will that not work?

just a question... are you going to mould it (as expensive as it would be). because honestly... i would pay big time for a companion of my own (i have no friends :p...jk )

DarkBebi said:
whaaaaaaaaaaaat... How come I have never heard of this Craft Robo? This would make everyones life so much easier... What model do you recommend?

EDIT: BTW, awesome job on the companion cube, it is looking so nice. I honestly don't see any warping, but why not making the um... struts? the pieces to hold them in place? Or will that not work?

Thanks, I'm hoping it will keep going smoothly. I have built the entire side, except for the two missing corners now. Not much to see more than my last photo.

I had never heard of Craft Robo until I visited this site either, so I'm noone to give advice. I think it was Awesomeness who first mentioned it (that I saw at least). Seems like an awesome machine, and Dystorted Inc has promised that it is. :lol

MW Immortalking said:
Looks Awesome I just hope it doesn't warp from the resin.

Roadwarrior said:
Looking good, back it with card-bored so it wont warp when resin-ing.

I will probably back it up with something before resining. It depends, I think once it really starts looking like a cube it will hold together quite nicely. We'll see...

sdhoigt said:
just a question... are you going to mould it (as expensive as it would be). because honestly... i would pay big time for a companion of my own...

You do realise that this will be a cube 75 cms across, right? The shipping cost alone for this bad boy will ruin you. But then again, I don't know anything about your economy. If "big time" is big enough, I'm always reasonable. :p

sdhoigt said:
... (i have no friends :p...jk )

Why do you think I'm building one? :lol

Spartan 051 said:
actually you could mold it in latex and use a fiberglass jacket would only cost like $60 to do the hole thing

Could probably work. If I'm gonna make a mold I would probably divide the cube though, and not cast it in one piece. Since it is so repetitive, I could make three smaller molds and cast several pieces of each. If I go that road, I would rather opt for silicone since it produces a far more accurate mold.

Aw geez I log in after how many weeks just to check in and I find this?! Ha ha ha pretty damn cool you're making a companion cube I have to say.Freakin love Portal and what do you know I was in the process of making another cube for a convention that's coming up in April. It's on a much smaller scale only a mere 12 inches but good for traveling. But the idea of having a full size cube and have sitting in the living room. Hmmm ha ha ha well still pretty cool man you're making this bad boy. And to show I really do have one here's a funny pic of when companion cube meets Master Chief and small child saving cube.

DSC01386-1.jpg

Also yes it's awesome to have a companion cube in the house and yes it makes an excellent conversation starter.

When I get a bigger, more prop-friendly place, I'm going to execute this idea I've had for a while. Cube coffee table! Probably two cubes (one companion, one regular) with a glass top over them. Not only pretty, but functional!

Greenghost said:
Aw geez I log in after how many weeks just to check in and I find this?! Ha ha ha pretty damn cool you're making a companion cube I have to say.Freakin love Portal and what do you know I was in the process of making another cube for a convention that's coming up in April. It's on a much smaller scale only a mere 12 inches but good for traveling. But the idea of having a full size cube and have sitting in the living room. Hmmm ha ha ha well still pretty cool man you're making this bad boy. And to show I really do have one here's a funny pic of when companion cube meets Master Chief and small child saving cube.

DSC01386-1.jpg

Also yes it's awesome to have a companion cube in the house and yes it makes an excellent conversation starter.

Yeah, I'm not gonna be travelling with my 30" cube. :lol I think...

That cube looks really good. Don't really like the way the Chief handles it though. :( You should be nice to Companion Cubes, they never threaten to stab you. Promise.

Nicktendo said:
When I get a bigger, more prop-friendly place, I'm going to execute this idea I've had for a while. Cube coffee table! Probably two cubes (one companion, one regular) with a glass top over them. Not only pretty, but functional!

The project has made my brain going havoc thinking of everything that can be Cubed. I've pondered a computer case mod, a nightstand, a minifridge, tables, pillows (probably not resin though) and many more things I've already forgotten lol.

Don't have any progress to show right now unfortunately. I'm a little to preoccupied with another side project that is close to my heart too. I started it when I was waiting for my CraftRobo, and now I kinda can't quit... I have remodelled the pep for the Cube a bit though, so I won't be building the cube in one piece (yay scrapping what I already built lol). Instead, I'm making just a smooth cube with the pink strips while everything else is made separate. Then I'll be bolting things to the cube and finishing it off by bondoing the screw holes in the round plates. All other screws will be hidden on the inside. It should give me a smooth Cube without any seams. It'll probably work. I think...ehh...

This is freaking awesome. I need to get back into things and this looks like a lot of fun to make. Can't wait to see more of it.

AceHigh said:
Yeah, I'm not gonna be travelling with my 30" cube. :lol I think...

That cube looks really good. Don't really like the way the Chief handles it though. :( You should be nice to Companion Cubes, they never threaten to stab you. Promise.

Ha ha ha thanks. It was a fun, easy build to do.

Also yeah the Chief didn't like it very much. I'm not exactly sure why but oh well. I got better reactions from an Imperial Officer who actually hugged it and looked like he was having a tendor moment. :lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back