Cosmo's First Build - MkVb

Thanks! Yeah, I'm not 100% sure yet if going all-plastic will work long term. The good news is the scaling is just about perfect, but without a harnessing solution I still had to "flex" my leg muscles to keep them from falling over my knees so it was hard to get a read on how difficult walking will be. I might end up a little bit cowboy, but it also may just be something where they rub and I just deal with it. I'll have to see if I can duct tape them in place once I get the calves done and see how it feels to stand up straight. Are you doing foamcrafted inserts for the thigh gaskets? I've just never done foam ANYthing so I was hesitant.

And yes, even though Lopez stays in my office here at the house he's already caused one or two yelps :lol: No attacks yet though!
Yes, I'm doing foam for the thigh gasket with PLA armor.

Yeah, I have a feeling that yours will be more comfortable overall. I just took a peek at what you've done over on your thread since I last looked, you're making great progress! I'll definitely be referencing your build when I start rigging up my harness.

Both legs done now! Checked one leg for proportions and it all feels good, except of course that it won't stay up without harness and such. I tried to get both legs on for a picture but couldn't keep both legs flexed long enough! So here's one leg and just pretend it's both.

cropped leg.JPG

It also looks like I'll be getting a second printer, a friend is donating an Ender 3 S1-- he uses a printer for his work, so it was free for him, and they just upgraded him to a Bambu so he figured I might want it to help print smaller parts. He has already done several big upgrades to it, and I know he was getting very good quality prints from it, so I'm hopeful that I'll be able to recalibrate after the short drive from his house to mine and get it started working on some of the smaller bits I haven't gotten to yet. I'll likely pick it up early next week! We'll see how much it speeds me up (or weighs me down with troubleshooting haha!).

So initially I had been browsing through here, saving ideas that I saw, similarly saving things I'd see said on the discord. Recently I also saw this video and it sort of builds on the concepts I'd been considering. Basically, I'm thinking for much of the suit I'm going to use "nylon webbing strap" or however you call it, basically like the adjustable part of a bookbag strap, with black belt clips. The video also uses suspenders/bracers for the chest, which I think might be an interesting addition too.

I also had thought that, since the undersuit pants and shirt I got were quite inexpensive, that I might try building in little holes (It's been a minute since I've sewed something by hand but I remember the concepts to get a hole serged so it doesn't fray) so that I can hide most of the straps and only have it peeking out where it needs to. I'm not sure if this makes sense without a picture but I'm a terrible artist anyway :lol: Basically it'd be most beneficial so that there aren't straps showing in the midsection, from chest to waist and from waist to thigh. We'll see if it works as well in practice as it does in my brain!

I'm still undecided on just how much magnet-attaching I'll be doing. I'm using the NerdForge Designs MkVb files, which specifically have holes for magnets built in, so it is definitely something I thought would be a good idea. I'm just not sure how heavily I want to rely on them? I know the neodymium magnets are super strong, so maybe I'll pick up some and see how well they work too.

Calves may be able to rest on my boots as they do in the above video, but I'm going to have to test fit those with the ones I was currently thinking of using, which are just some standard issue combat boots I was issued that I no longer use. They may be just a tad too bulky to hide under Mjolnir, however I can always save them for if/when I do an ODST.

ANYWHO that's a super long-winded answer for what is all just theoretical right now! If you have any preferences or suggestions I'm always interested to hear other people's methods!

So initially I had been browsing through here, saving ideas that I saw, similarly saving things I'd see said on the discord. Recently I also saw this video and it sort of builds on the concepts I'd been considering. Basically, I'm thinking for much of the suit I'm going to use "nylon webbing strap" or however you call it, basically like the adjustable part of a bookbag strap, with black belt clips. The video also uses suspenders/bracers for the chest, which I think might be an interesting addition too.

I also had thought that, since the undersuit pants and shirt I got were quite inexpensive, that I might try building in little holes (It's been a minute since I've sewed something by hand but I remember the concepts to get a hole serged so it doesn't fray) so that I can hide most of the straps and only have it peeking out where it needs to. I'm not sure if this makes sense without a picture but I'm a terrible artist anyway :lol: Basically it'd be most beneficial so that there aren't straps showing in the midsection, from chest to waist and from waist to thigh. We'll see if it works as well in practice as it does in my brain!

I'm still undecided on just how much magnet-attaching I'll be doing. I'm using the NerdForge Designs MkVb files, which specifically have holes for magnets built in, so it is definitely something I thought would be a good idea. I'm just not sure how heavily I want to rely on them? I know the neodymium magnets are super strong, so maybe I'll pick up some and see how well they work too.

Calves may be able to rest on my boots as they do in the above video, but I'm going to have to test fit those with the ones I was currently thinking of using, which are just some standard issue combat boots I was issued that I no longer use. They may be just a tad too bulky to hide under Mjolnir, however I can always save them for if/when I do an ODST.

ANYWHO that's a super long-winded answer for what is all just theoretical right now! If you have any preferences or suggestions I'm always interested to hear other people's methods!
As I've been putting my harness together, I have learned the value of adding some elastic to the straps. Keeps the harness taut and allows for a little give.

Brief update-- We have BOOTS!

I'm working on a new Helmet, trying a smaller size that I've determined should fit better and not need such a large amount of padding. I have a new shipment of filament that just came in, so another 10kg which should get me through the rest of the things I need to print.
IMG_1062.jpg

IMG_1019.jpg

I also took a detour to make the Reach MA37, which I'm really excited to sand and assemble.
IMG_0982.jpg

I'm going to start working on that prep as soon as I have time... which unfortunately might be a little while. I'll be out of town on tour for most of March, so April is probably the earliest I'll get to the sanding work. I had originally wanted to have all the pieces printed before I left, but it seems I'll have to finish up with the chest prints once I return.

Good news is, the chest and a few waist pieces are all I have left to print! I still would love to have this done by the fall (I arbitrarily set Halloween as a deadline even though it's not like I usually go out to parties or anything), and I think I can still hit that goal. I have to manage my expectations, since I have work and family stuff too, so I try to be realistic!

Coming along very well! I'll be following this, as I'm also doing a Reach Spartan. You mentioned you're adding shoulders to the base armor, how are you planning to do that? I'm planning on CQC shoulders for mine, but don't know how I'll attach them.

Coming along very well! I'll be following this, as I'm also doing a Reach Spartan. You mentioned you're adding shoulders to the base armor, how are you planning to do that? I'm planning on CQC shoulders for mine, but don't know how I'll attach them.
Great question! The files I am using from NerdForge have attachment points from the bicep armor for the shoulders. I am going to try to use neodymium magnets, some others had suggested that. However failing that I may just epoxy them together and accept the fact that I'm going to have to print new biceps if I want to change shoulders :lol: I will say though, the tolerances on the files is so good that the Security shoulder friction fits! So it hopefully won't need much coaxing.

Great question! The files I am using from NerdForge have attachment points from the bicep armor for the shoulders. I am going to try to use neodymium magnets, some others had suggested that. However failing that I may just epoxy them together and accept the fact that I'm going to have to print new biceps if I want to change shoulders :lol: I will say though, the tolerances on the files is so good that the Security shoulder friction fits! So it hopefully won't need much coaxing.
Alright! I'm using Moe Sizzlac's Thingiverse files for the main build, plus an .obj file I found here for the CQC shoulders, so I'll figure that out some other way. Thank you though!

Alright! I'm using Moe Sizzlac's Thingiverse files for the main build, plus an .obj file I found here for the CQC shoulders, so I'll figure that out some other way. Thank you though!
Totally! You could also pop into the Discord, I think Moe frequents there, and ask what they suggest. Can't wait to see your build!

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back