Soft Parts Creating the PERFECT undersuit: A discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

tsuyosa

I see a huge amount of work that people are doing going towards the armour...

But I'm very curious as to why it *seems* NO-ONE has made any kind of attempt at an accurate body-suit? Is it because of lack of reference? Or because too much of the "would be" undersuit material is hidden by the armour. (Even then, no-one seems to try and get the stuff that is visible).

Just venting my frustration, and showcasing the beginning of my own remedy.

I'm starting with the neckseal. Easy enough... It's made from a fabric-backed rubber that i found at a materials surplus store. The exact title of the material or manufacturer was un-marked.

The rest of the suit I will be making with a black pleather that resembles the in-game texture... using a variety of techniques. I will be incorporating the armour straps directly into the bodysuit. Once the armour is completed I should be able to simply clip it on and off with backpack clips.

I am doing the bodysuit First.... so that when I make my armour I will be able to "hone" the two in to create a seamless look. The armour should also match the look and texture of the Legendary helmet (as seen) when it's done.

I will not be using pepakura, I will not be sculpting it or molding it. I will be making my base from a mixture of foamies and ABS plastic. I'm confident when the whole thing is done it will look completely accurate. (Comperable (but not equal to) to Blue-realm and the work he has done *props to him for his work on that suit*)
This is assuming that my funds continue to come in and I am blessed with enough free time to devote to it

Here is a pic of the neckseal.... the first foray into an accurate undersuit.
IMG_2402.jpg

my undersuit is pretty good looking. my pants have small padded armor spots in locations between the main armor areas, and my jacket has the spine piece on the back and the abdominal piece on the front. my neckseal is just a stormtrooper one though, yours looks better.

If you start to build an interest list for neckseals like these, I'd like to be first on the list ;) :p

Looking good though, keep up the good work!

Peace

Fitz

I'm working on an undersuit pattern myself... Given the amount of detail and how it brings the armor together, it's almost a crime not to do at least some attempt other than spandex... At the very minimum, I'd do a simple quilted undersuit like the clonetroopers & vader, but even that is incredibly basic. The suit I'm working on is predominantly pleather, in different shades & textures. The armor should actualy attach to the bodysuit, not to the other armor pieces by straps... The whole thing should look like a 'one-piece' space-suit, which it actualy is...

I'll post pics as I progress, I just finished up the basic bodyform today....

Wolf

We'll see.... a LARGE part of what will determine if i can make more of these is the availability of materials.

For much of the stuff i've gotten for this... I found it at a surprlus store so i'm unsure if i'll ever be able to get more of it.

Once I'm done though I'll certainly think about making the patterns available at least ;)

isnt a pleather bodysuit going to be EXTREMELY hot along with the armor?

I plan on using a pressuresuit for motocross for the upper half, and some fatigues or something for the lower half.

Looks very good. If you haven't already get the art of Halo book. It has proven a wise investment, the wealth of pictures will help you on your body suit. On page 103, 115 you can see where the neckseal disappears into a horizontal ring made of the same material. I wouldn't see any problem sewing this into the main suit, so you can tuck it in making it look just like the game model.

I am attaching my neck seal permanently to my helmet. leaving 2 seams open with Velcro closures to seal it all up nice when its on my head like a Nolan helmet closure for motorcycle helmets.

I have an idea for the overheating problem to. Just don't want to say at this time I need to research it more. If it turns out to work I will post it on the board.

You have inspired me to work just as hard on my body suit as my armor, thank you for sharing.

I know there are a few guys out there who are into batman costuming that have considered using a watercooled undersuit.

That is a bit too extensive for me.

At critical areas where heat will need to escape I'm going to add some lighter more breathable materails. Again, seamlessly incorporated into the suit where you won't be able to tell.

defektedtoy.

No offense but that's exactly what I'm talking about that is frustrating me. the attitude of... "oh well, i'll just buy this and use it"

As a perfectionist... if I had great armour, but an undersuit that basically just looks like i'm wearing a wetsuit with some motocross or skateboard padding, i KNOW that it will never look right... or truly real.

It's not that a wetsuit or "pressure suit" can't look good to. But it's definetly not "all it can be". Ya know?

You hit the nail on the head, water cooling. A buddy of mine in the service was a tanker and he was telling me how in desert storm they used a water cooled vest in the Abrams tanks.

Had no idea someone had made one for costuming. As for Extensive well I think I stumbled on a way to do it easy and cheap, under $50. Just have to try it out when I get to the full armor stage and see if it is worth the trouble.

As for Lighter breathable materials. I was thinking on using a small mesh area at the armpits to let excess heat escape, it would only show if I put my arms up. But hey is the water cooling works I might not need that.

I agree 100% on what you are saying on here Tsuyosa. If we go to the trouble of making great armor the under suit should be as detailed as possible. Mind if I add you as a buddy Tsuyosa? I would love to stay up to date on your under suit progress.

Spartan 161 said:
You hit the nail on the head, water cooling. A buddy of mine in the service was a tanker and he was telling me how in desert storm they used a water cooled vest in the Abrams tanks.

Had no idea someone had made one for costuming. As for Extensive well I think I stumbled on a way to do it easy and cheap, under $50. Just have to try it out when I get to the full armor stage and see if it is worth the trouble.

As for Lighter breathable materials. I was thinking on using a small mesh area at the armpits to let excess heat escape, it would only show if I put my arms up. But hey is the water cooling works I might not need that.

I agree 100% on what you are saying on here Tsuyosa. If we go to the trouble of making great armor the under suit should be as detailed as possible. Mind if I add you as a buddy Tsuyosa? I would love to stay up to date on your under suit progress.

Go for it!..

Do i have to do anything also??

and actually, my solution for the under-arms (as well as a space hidden underneath the chest and back pieces), is to use Lycra. I have a material in particular that is very similar to the under-armor products, so it should blend in quite nicely... has a great range of stretch (which is perfect because the chest, back, underarms, elbows, and knees, are all critical points to have heightened flexibility), and will allow plenty of cooling air in to boot. :)

P.S. Started the muslin bodysuit that i will cannibalize and use to create my pattern for the pleather undersuit. I'll also be making temporary cardboard "placeholders" to know where the armor is going to be resting on the body.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey thanks for adding me I did the same for you, lets keep in touch.

Lycra, Good Idea! I would like to see some pics of the construction. I am thinking on using a black mechanics set of cover all's for my under suit and cutting modifying and sewing it to fit the bill. Adding here taking there all to make it work and look authentic. will post some pics when I have some.

Spartan 161 said:
Hey thanks for adding me I did the same for you, lets keep in touch.

Lycra, Good Idea! I would like to see some pics of the construction. I am thinking on using a black mechanics set of cover all's for my under suit and cutting modifying and sewing it to fit the bill. Adding here taking there all to make it work and look authentic. will post some pics when I have some.

Hmm... honestly? here's my suggestion. Also, i can't believe i didn't think of this before (As i have on that would work perfectly.)

Find an OLD wet-suit that fits...

I'm talkin like something from the seventies (Go to a thrift store even)

The whole look of the MC's undersuit depends on it conforming to his body. So if you're forming a pattern like that... Use what is best suited. A wetsuit! And go from there. You can find old ones for CHEAP!

Not to mention, if you indeed, DO use pleather... remember that it's elastic properties are actually very similar to a wetsuits'. So when you form your pattern you should actually come quite close :) (heck, even the zipper placement is just about perfect!)

I've been putting a LOT of thought into the construction of this. Once I draw up a final design i'll post it here.

I get emails every day asking where I got my vest... They all get disappointed when I tell them I made the whole thing.
I like the neck piece you started but remember that if it is attached to the vest, and it goes up to your chin, it won't allow you to turn your head very well.

CPU64 said:
I get emails every day asking where I got my vest... They all get disappointed when I tell them I made the whole thing.
I like the neck piece you started but remember that if it is attached to the vest, and it goes up to your chin, it won't allow you to turn your head very well.

Thanks, my head can actually turn quite well, despite if the lower portion is held stationary :)

What does your vest look like?

many of us have tried without success do to the lack of referances, I am still trying to perfect my undersuit pattern but this is what I have so far for a custom spartan undersuit.

not sure if it helps but this is also available im my Scale Drawings thread

underarmor3.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back