Cujo's ODST Armor Begins!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jesn223 & SquishyShoes:

Thanks guys... I appreciate the feedback! Taking a little break this weekend to get my
Christmas shopping done... The 9 year old has been screaming for Legos.... Really?
I make him a perfectly nice Smooth Recon helmet and he wants Legos and would rather
play Black Ops.... anyone want a 9 yr old? hahahahaha

Cujo3131

Hey Kamaro...

I think it is just a new material that a lot of people have access to and it is fairly easy to work with.... BUT... I have to thank all of the modellers and Pep gurus out there for their work... their great work is foundation for what I do in foam... without them, I would be clueless in this whole process...

The paper pep files work as awesome templates and patterns... and Pep viewer allows me to see where I am going with the foam....

So I have to thank all of those guys and gals work :)

I really do appreciate all the kind comments... but you guys see the good stuff... you don't see the 2 sheets of foam I obliterated in mistakes trying to figure out angles... :p
but the kind words certainly make it easy to go back into the shop and keep playing and building :)

Thanks all!

Cujo3131

BTW Kamaro: Your ODST build rocks dude! I hope mine looks that tight when I get it finished... very nice work!

Whooohoo!

Nightly update time :p

hopefully you guys are not getting bored with the slow progress of this build... I work after school when I can fit in the time.... so we get done what we can....

shin05.jpg

so I only had a little time this evening... but I managed to finish the toe area of the front shin... and the two side edge pieces.... Now all I have left is the back of the shin pad. Will probably put the two pieces together with straps and buckles to make them easier to put on and take off....

Whatya think?

Cujo3131

Ok well I finished up the front part of my shins tonight and the pic below shows the results:

shin06.jpg

Both are symetrical and same length and width (thank goodness). So that part is finished, still need to build the back of the shins and then will have this knocked out....

Must say that this has been a bit challenging.... and after looking at foam armor and comparing it to Halo_1's finished ODST, I am kinda embarassed by the look... mine looking like the "poor cousin" version.... *sigh*

I am using the materials at hand and doing the best I can with it my friends....

Maybe it was just too long of a stressful day teaching today....

I'll continue and keep you posted!

Cujo3131

I think poor cousin is a little harsh man. The work looks great and i mean you will only get better with time. I love the way you smoothed the edges on the knees, it looks great. Don't be too hard on yourself, its coming along really well and when i finally start my my foam build i hope i can make it look as good as yours. Keep it up man!!

.... and after looking at foam armor and comparing it to Halo_1's finished ODST, I am kinda embarassed by the look... mine looking like the "poor cousin" version.... *sigh*
Apples and oranges, man. He bought his costume kit from Sean Bradley and they're molded resin, whereas yours is scratch-built. Had you decided you decided to go along the same route, then your costume is also going to look similar. For what it's worth, yours is a pretty darn good-looking build. There's no way I'd even attempt that.

Cujo, I've got to agree with Thebearman and Ral, your suits looking good so far, I'm well impressed with the shin pic up there too, don't think I could manage that!

Thanks Sutekhian, Ral Partha, and BearMan,

I appreciate the kind words and the pep talk...

I think part of it is being tired (being a teacher), the stress of the holidays...
and to some point, just being overwhelmed... There are SO many unbelieveable
armor builds out there...Halo_1 and his crew being a example... sometimes
it makes you take a step back.... Granted I am not jealous, he has some fine stuff...
ands yeah it's apples and oranges... but we have to keep working and
WANTING to get better.... Guess I just want to be BETTER :p :D

I'll keep working... keep pushing the foam... and see where it gets us :p

Thanks guys... I really appreciate it!

Cujo3131

Ok....with the encouragement from everyone and some much needed rest,
I decided to go back out to the shop this evening and work some....

Now... I am a big boy... in case I didn't divulge that... so no laughing at the next few
pics :p

I have had a nice comfortable pair of Crocs laying around the house forever... I own several
pair as they are extremely comfortable for me and my feet. So I was thinking... could a pair of
these be reappropriated for boots for my ODST? So I took Hugh's ODST boot cover pep and
headed off to my shop... I cut off the heal strap so that would be out of the way... and started into
the foam....

Here is what I came up with:

boot02.jpg

I wasn't sure how they would look, and worried they would be too much like clown shoes (way too wide perhaps because of the foam). Below is a image of them with my shin plates so far:

boot01.jpg

I think with the foam, it makes it a tad too wide... but then again, the Crocs were wide size to begin with :) Anyway... I think they will functon for now... perhaps if I find a nice comfortable pair of boots down the way, I'll go back pep then and resin a set instead... but for now I am open to opinions :p ;) :cool

Thanks everyone for looking!

Merry Christmas to you all!

Cujo3131

Looks great Sir Cujo!

I don't think the boot cover looks that wide. When you get the rest of the shins made the wide pointed areas will overlap the shoe and they won't look so big.

Keep up the awesome work friend, and Merry Christmas!

-Hugh

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back