Custom SHEET METAL ARMOR Build

Status
Not open for further replies.
wow! progress is coming along really quick! im loving how simple yet awesome the plated design is! reminds me of diablo :p

I cannot agree more than with what has already been said. Your build is the first metal build that has actually got progress out of it, I'm quite impressed. not that impressing me is a great feat with all the awesome work on here, but your WIP sir, is a FIRST. I have a question though: how do you plan on making the inside of the metal, especially in the layered parts of the shin, smooth? looks like it could easily rip the hair off your leg. lol

wow! progress is coming along really quick! im loving how simple yet awesome the plated design is! reminds me of diablo :p

Cheers man, im hoping to bump up the detail after the main plates are done, maybe a few more scales here and there

I cannot agree more than with what has already been said. Your build is the first metal build that has actually got progress out of it, I'm quite impressed. not that impressing me is a great feat with all the awesome work on here, but your WIP sir, is a FIRST. I have a question though: how do you plan on making the inside of the metal, especially in the layered parts of the shin, smooth? looks like it could easily rip the hair off your leg. lol

Haha thanks man. Answer to you're question, i lost a few hairs and some skin when taking that shin off, but surprisingly it was the blind rivets that did the damage and not the metal, so i opened it up as far as i could and hammered the rivets flat (gently) and it seems to have done the trick

WOW NZ,
This armor looks awesome! I am loving the progress. It reminds me of something that would look totally righteous at the renaissance festival i participate in. I cant wait to see the finished product. Keep up the great work!

I like what i've seen so far idk how many projects you've done but this looks like one of those one that isn't for the faint of heart, probally the custom armour was a smart choice, it woulda took alot more metal experiance and some MIG or TIGG weilding to get alot of the detail for say the halo armour, you could probally rent a weilder but from what i got outta shop class in HS its gonna be a **** load of money not just for the weilder but for the gas...... as far as not wanting to get cut by the armor you might wanna think about doing some trim around the sharp edges and just folding the metal ti the inside and lightly hammering the edge till it stays flat and probally putting a layer of some of that foam crap you see on the site here...... I've all ways wanted to do a custom build of some armor i designed for a game a few years ago, ya know justa show off... but like i said looking good

WOW NZ,
This armor looks awesome! I am loving the progress. It reminds me of something that would look totally righteous at the renaissance festival i participate in. I cant wait to see the finished product. Keep up the great work!

Thanks man, yeah i wish we got those kind of events in New Zealand!

I like what i've seen so far idk how many projects you've done but this looks like one of those one that isn't for the faint of heart, probally the custom armour was a smart choice, it woulda took alot more metal experiance and some MIG or TIGG weilding to get alot of the detail for say the halo armour, you could probally rent a weilder but from what i got outta shop class in HS its gonna be a **** load of money not just for the weilder but for the gas...... as far as not wanting to get cut by the armor you might wanna think about doing some trim around the sharp edges and just folding the metal ti the inside and lightly hammering the edge till it stays flat and probally putting a layer of some of that foam crap you see on the site here...... I've all ways wanted to do a custom build of some armor i designed for a game a few years ago, ya know justa show off... but like i said looking good

Ive made an odst helmet outta scratch and a full Reach suit free hand out of foam, but this is my first time with metal, i figured it wouldn't hurt to try and wing it haha. The rivets seem to be holding everything together at the moment, there an aluminium and steel based blind rivet and they seem quite strong, i wouldn't have a clue how to weld so i gotta go with what i know haha. Im not having any trouble at the moment with the sharpness of the metal as i tried to cut it as smooth as possible, but thanks heaps for the ideas :), i have some spare foam from my reach build that i could use for the edges. Go for it man, its fun, i bet your suit would look rad

Still looking awesome. Yes if you take a small hammer and a piece of wood you can smooth/flatten out you're bends. And if you just happen to be near a Auto store small trim works great to finish those edges as well.:cool

This is one of the up and coming builds to watch, the sheer awesomeness will make it work the trip.

i might have misunderstood but i'll say it any way, idk how thick the metal is but since its alumiuim DO NOT USE STEEL RIVETS they maybe stronger then the alumiuim but the steel will tear up and away at the alumiuim

Wow, that is fantastic, when I first saw the design, my intial thought was a it was Krogan-esque armour, but when I saw the actual progress builds (which are beautifully done by the way) The back/shoulder area is alot less pronounced which is really nice.

Seriously nice design, well done!

THAT LOOKS TOTALLY AWESOME! At first I thought it wasn't gong to look so good because you made up the design, and the fact that it's freehanded :p Looks Awesome from the picture and I really like all the layering on the chest! Good job and keep going!

Still looking awesome. Yes if you take a small hammer and a piece of wood you can smooth/flatten out you're bends. And if you just happen to be near a Auto store small trim works great to finish those edges as well.:cool

This is one of the up and coming builds to watch, the sheer awesomeness will make it work the trip.

Oh awesome, i usually only use the auto stores to get cheap spray paint haha. Thanks heaps for the compliments man

i might have misunderstood but i'll say it any way, idk how thick the metal is but since its alumiuim DO NOT USE STEEL RIVETS they maybe stronger then the alumiuim but the steel will tear up and away at the alumiuim

The rivets are Aluminium and steel mix, but judging on how cheap they are im guessing more aluminium then steel haha, but i havnt had any trouble with tearing or breaking problems so far, i will keep that in mind though, thanks heaps

Wow, that is fantastic, when I first saw the design, my intial thought was a it was Krogan-esque armour, but when I saw the actual progress builds (which are beautifully done by the way) The back/shoulder area is alot less pronounced which is really nice.

Seriously nice design, well done!

Yeah my mate said he thought the back of the chest piece reminded him of a mix of Krogan and The arbiter, damn subliminal influence haha

THAT LOOKS TOTALLY AWESOME! At first I thought it wasn't gong to look so good because you made up the design, and the fact that it's freehanded :p Looks Awesome from the picture and I really like all the layering on the chest! Good job and keep going!

Fair enough man, i poped out that sketch on a bus ride and didnt think much of refining it because i was too eager to build, i promise i can draw though haha. Free hand is the way to go man, i built my entire halo suit freehand, it takes so much less time then peping etc

Forearms are done :

422403_3305978245737_1156454192_5034599_2010268758_n.jpg

424385_3305978405741_1156454192_5034600_2071089470_n.jpg

422963_3305978005731_1156454192_5034598_314108328_n.jpg

419683_3305977765725_1156454192_5034597_1323178956_n.jpg

some motorcycle gloves i was supposed to use for my odst build that i never finished, i think they look quite cool

Haha thanks man. Answer to you're question, i lost a few hairs and some skin when taking that shin off, but surprisingly it was the blind rivets that did the damage and not the metal, so i opened it up as far as i could and hammered the rivets flat (gently) and it seems to have done the trick
so maybe a few patches of foam here and there should do the trick, right?

Cape in progress :
424614_3310517519216_1156454192_5036724_2138265177_n.jpg

I have not a clue about stitching or sewing so i got my mum involved at this stage haha

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back