Props Dreadmullets Ma5K

Status
Not open for further replies.
hey thanks Dvine, im really happy with the way it turned out. And dave also seems to be really happy with his mold work on it.

thanks for the kind words, and i look forward to seeing updates on your Mrk6 project... read through your thread earlier today, and everything is looking great.

Excellent build Dreadmullet! And excellent work on the mold Ithica/Lovebug/Null. :D

I really love the MA5K, so much so that earlier in the year when I was working on plans for a shorter version of the M90A (the Bulldog -which I will return to when I get a couple of other things out of the way) by toying with Wizard of Flights blueprints, I also mucked around with ideas for the MA5K by cutting and pasting bits of the AR and the BR together (Original drawings by Wizard of Flight)-

MA5KV12FINAL.gif

That's as far as I got, but I fully intended to revisit it at some point in the future now that I'm doing up my own CAD drawings. My design was a lot squatter, but pretty much the same. I also toyed with the idea of giving it the BR's grip, but I never thought it looked right.

Once again, excellent work Dreadmullet. Came out even better looking then I pictured one would.
wink.gif

xalener said:
Man, I know it's not cannon, but I WANT one of these in Reach.

Great gun. Freaking incredible.

Actually the MA5K is cannon. If you look on the cover of Ghosts of Onyx Fred (I think) is holding the MA5K. Nice job! The top rail is a bit too much curved and is a bit short but great job! I wish I could make stuff like that :p.

Last edited by a moderator:
Great minds?

Ma5kblue-web-2.jpg

i had the same thought about putting the Br grip on it and i had done a quick cut and paste job. i never cared for it either so i never tried to improve on it.

but your cut and paste job looks really good. reminds me of my first try at the ma5k (the shape and detail, my quality sucked on the first one). i like how you stuck with little detail, only that witch is visible in the picture.

I originally had done the same, but when i started the build it felt too empty. So i started messing around on photoshop, made up some of my own detail and that just turned into more detail

the original purpose of me building this gun was to test out a method im going to use to make my AR. so she started to turn a little more AR there at the end...

DreadMullet said:
Great minds?

The same thought came to me. It was a bit uncanny when I first saw the picture of your prop and Ithica's cast of it.

i had the same thought about putting the Br grip on it and i had done a quick cut and paste job. i never cared for it either so i never tried to improve on it.

but your cut and paste job looks really good. reminds me of my first try at the ma5k (the shape and detail, my quality sucked on the first one). i like how you stuck with little detail, only that witch is visible in the picture.

I originally had done the same, but when i started the build it felt too empty. So i started messing around on photoshop, made up some of my own detail and that just turned into more detail

the original purpose of me building this gun was to test out a method im going to use to make my AR. so she started to turn a little more AR there at the end...

I think the build turned out great. I definitely agree with leaning more towards the AR for reference. I don't know about you but the only reason I even considered putting the BR grip on it was because both the Spartans holding them on the cover of Ghosts of Onyx have their damn hands in the way so you can't see what the grip looks like at all. Not only that the guy crouched's MA5K looks to have a forward grip more like the BR's, while the guy standing and pointing's looks more closely related to the AR's. *Sigh*, The more research I do on weapons for props the more I come to believe that concept artists have no idea when it comes to designing weapons lol. :lol

A standard MA5K has about 32 rounds, the same as a standerd MA5C (MA5B's are totally unbelieveable because of the ammount of ammunition). Remember, the MA5K is only a cut down version of the MA5B or MA5C, so there would be the same ammount of ammunition.

about the video, you hold the carbine wrongly, first of all the front grip is for a purpose..... USE IT!, if you would fire a fully atomatic burst you would feel a thing in your arm (or your shoulder for a week, trust my i've been there) any ways on topic, this MA5K is awesome, i wish that i could sculpt that wellor build or anyhow u build it

(and belive me i talk with a voice of experience about the front handle and, after 4 years with the french foriegn legion it is not wise to hold a carbine this way, and the mag is undersized in odst it can hold 32. 7, 62x 68mm rounds, it couln't even hold 15 if my math is correct)

and the carbine is undersized, it should be around 10% longer, but your height is correct.

petty officer john-117 said:
about the video, you hold the carbine wrongly, first of all the front grip is for a purpose..... USE IT!, if you would fire a fully atomatic burst you would feel a thing in your arm (or your shoulder for a week, trust my i've been there) any ways on topic, this MA5K is awesome, i wish that i could sculpt that wellor build or anyhow u build it

(and belive me i talk with a voice of experience about the front handle and, after 4 years with the french foriegn legion it is not wise to hold a carbine this way, and the mag is undersized in odst it can hold 32. 7, 62x 68mm rounds, it couln't even hold 15 if my math is correct)

and the carbine is undersized, it should be around 10% longer, but your height is correct.

dont you worry about Dave holding it wrong, he does shoot real weapons for his job...he is in the army.

and how do you know the mag is undersized? this gun appeared on the cover of one of the books, and there is little description about it. And how is it undersized? its a fictional gun, much of its detail and size is left out of the book... The overall length that i came up with i believe is correct, i used some crazy math to figure it out.

before you try and completely pick my work apart, and put it down, how about you try and find info on the gun and actually have some evidence behind your argument? Or make one better than mine, then i will accept your criticism, and consider fixing the issues you "think are wrong"...

its kind of funny. all of the MA guns are suppose to shear the same mags. and the halo 1 AR holds 60 rounds... can you explain that little mag holding 60 rounds then magically changing to 37?? its suppose to be the same mag. like a M16, M4 and a AR15 or a M1A and M14 using the same mags.

just remember its a game.

Savvy

Like Spase says in his sig: "If you want to criticize someone's creation, that someone you are criticizing better be yourself."

Seriously, your harshly-worded criticism was uncalled for, Petty Officer.

Like DM explained in his post above, this prop was designed and built based on very limited information (the most anyone has ever seen of it was on the front cover of "Ghosts of Onyx"). He designed the rear portion of the MA5K on a schematic of the MA5B someone else had done, and very accurately too.

So, the magazine he made is the same size as what we've seen before.

Not only that, but as it's not a real-world weapon, it doesn't need to be entirely faithful or accurate to an actual firing weapon.

As such, a person is entitled to some creative liberties when building something with such little reference material available. Self-interpretation is just part of the hobby, especially in a case such as this.

Also, it's kind of a moot point in how Dave handles the piece, as it's a make-believe prop, and so won't harm anyone regardless of how it's held.

There was no need to be so aggressive in your response to both Dave and DM. There's having a keen eye for detail and accuracy and keeping it "realistic", and then there's just being nit-picky.

DreadMullet, don't take his words to heart. I for one still think you made one helluva prop, considering how little you had to go on. A very faithful representation of what we've seen of the MA5K. Damn impressive, buddy :cool

petty officer john-117 said:

You are way to dramatci over a prop. I do beleive as stated my 15 years and hoing Military experience along with 3 tours to Iraq and 1 to kosovo has taught me how to handle a weapon. This weapon was designed from a book cover with no information on stats so I do believe that Joel has done a remarkable job on this weapon. It's it and that's that.

Ithica

Wow dudes!!! This is amazing, I just found this site a few days ago and I find stuff like this. I mean this gun was just a 2D picture on the frount of a Book and you have made it real. Its like you invented the gun in the first place. Keep up this awesome work!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back