Dual Layer Visor Mini-Tutorial

Status
Not open for further replies.
im pretty sure there are other ways instead of using 2 visors. because i plan to buy 1 gold one and the thought of a second one is getting pricey. so i thought why not use like a thin plastic sheet and color it in a way you can see through it.

thorssoli said:
I used the same technique using clear .015" styrene. I got a pack of 3 sheets of the clear styrene at my local hobby shop for less than $7. The cuts were made using an X-acto knife with a sharp new blade. I'm on my way to trying it with slightly thicker acrylic as well as PVC to see if I can do a better job with a different material. I'm also thinking about heating up the clear plastic overlay a little bit to see if I can stretch it to fit the HJC visor a bit better. Either way, the rough draft came out well:

Visortestingagain011.jpg

If anyone needs it, I've attached the template I used to get the look that I got using Flying Squirrel's pep helm built to a height of 31.9cm. Essentially it's a modified version of the same template Sean posted in the tutorial, but I've spherized it a bit to increase the convex look of the visor. Hopefully this will be useful.

[attachment=2855:visortemplate1.JPG]

Looks awesome! I'm going to try this method!

Last edited by a moderator:
HJC HJ - 05 #3
Gold iridium

Just got it today, cost me $99 in australia to get one but it looks sweeet

just gonna put a clear plastic over the top to give it the duel effect. no way i'm gonna buy another one :-(

I've found some visors at a motorcycle shop my dad cleans at for only about 20 bucks. Heck yeah. I'm changing your template around a bit, if you don't mind, Sean.

would it still give the same effect to have a clear visor over the gold one? our would the color distort. because the clear ones are cheaper, and i dont want to pay $70 for 2 gold visors.

While the clear visor overtop of the gold one looks good, I don't know that it has the same effect.

It's an expensive hobby. The sooner you come to terms with that, the sooner you can continue to move on with your costume instead of researching cheaper solutions.

This tutorial was made to show people how to create a double visor as shown in my first post. I cannot speak for the rest.

yea im realizing that now, and i have to get a job :( but its worth it.
i think i might just buy 2 gold visors.

thx for the link, but in your pics it looks very big - do you think i could bend the visor and use a hair dryer (or other mild heat source) to form a sharper curve?

I wouldn't advise heating to reshape the visor, you'd probably lose the iridium mirror coating.

The visor compresses significantly from left to right. I'd just squeeze it in a little. I did this for my helmets, and it works fine.

its going into my 360 legendary edition helmet, lol prolly should have mentioned that. i was thinking it could flex just enough, and if i dremel the lens good enough, i would think the coating shouldnt come off.

i had to use tinted celluloid on my clone trooper helmet - it was flimsy but good enough, but MC's visor is huge so i hadnt worked with a premade piece before

how does the visor turn gold. i thought it was clear because of the picture of you cutting the visor? what i mean is that how does it turn gold if the visor you bought was cyrstal clear? o_O

It's not crystal clear. The visor appears mirrored gold when installed because all light from behind the visor is blocked.. If you hold an irridium visor in front of a light you will notice that it is semi-transparent.

In my photos you're seeing the transparency because it's not installed.

Cheapest place is ebay. Search 'Gold HJC Visor'. Can be found for about $25.

I buy mine through a distributor because I usually need to get 6 or 8 at a time.. Distributors sell them for about $35.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back