I'm going to be building a couple of these and prop stands for some of my better display things, not looking forward to having an array of well armed creeps hanging around the house. As long as there's none of your hair or skin trapped in the form I think you're safe with regards to these things coming to life by voodoo rules, it becoming a golem however is a different story.
Well no questions at the moment, but I'm sure I'll have some when I get to the detailing stages of my MK VI again (starting from scratch on everything). I liked your popsicle stick method to keep peps from warping. Also downloaded the armorsmith program to help with my biggest challenge of all- anatomically fitting armor pieces onto my 6 foot noodle of a body. I also took some more liberties of your build with the chosen undersuit (already had the same upperbody MTB plating); hopefully that will solve my issue of padding.
As far as being a member since 2010 with little to show and just now coming back from an 8 year long hiatus, your finished suit gave me some motivation to pick my project back up.
It's an armor ability module, specific to Reach. They are what allow you to sprint, drop shield, hologram, etc.
I decided yellow for Hologram, though the lights ended up looking orange which I think is bubble sheild.
First I acquired this 3d print. Many thanks to those parties involved.
With my suit, securing pieces can be a challenge. This print is two pieces. First I had to secure the backplate. I chose acorn nuts. The LEDs will shine on them and the round nut will help with the light.
To put the front on I didn't want to chance it with magnets. The only spot for a bolt that worked for me was the center. I drilled all the way through and put a nut on the other side.
Smoothing was in order. I applied one layer of spot putty using my fingers. I then used knives and tooth picks to immediately pick out the putty from the narrow grooves.
Next up, one coat of primer. Followed by bright silver on the inside to help illuminate the lights.
Here is my reference screen grab for painting. I found dull silver, dark grey, black and yellowish orange. There are also many decals and it is heavily weathered.
I was able to get the brand new colors done. One coat of base color and 3-4 coats of the secondary colors. I won't be able to weather until I put the decals on.
The lights are just a simple circuit. Four 5mm LEDs each with 100 ohm resistor, a switch and a 9volt battery connector.
Well, last weekend I trooped with Thom A293 at the Toy and Geek Festival, Western Washington Fairgrounds.
It was a great little con. They had lots of room for big stuff: 501st sets, 3-4 actual transformer vehicles, lots of military equipment.
We lasted 6 hours and I was spent!! Got a good size chip in my boot walking back to the car. I also somehow cracked my waist armor clean through, fiberglass is holding it together now. Another disappointing thing was the compression sleeves I bought to give me extra protection on my arms... they gave me water blisters because they were so tight and my sweat had no where to go! Back to the drawing board with that one.
Here are some fun edits I did using the phone ap Prisma.