Dutch A How To Mold Series

Status
Not open for further replies.
BenStreeper said:
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I9JKmSd_GCg[/media]

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CCiieePqHI[/media]

Fin

Coming Soon to a forum near you:

How to Scale your pep file (A video tutorial)

How to Latex Mold

How to Pour a casting with Rondo

How to pour a casting with Flex-It Foam

How to Apply Battle Damage

And much much more

Act now and we may even through in some behind the scenes footage

Until next time folks remember:

Same "BAT"-Time...... Same "BAT"-Channel

Wait that's not it

Oh Yeah

If we can do it.......So can you

question if you just use the pink stuff why put on the plaster and rondo?

Last edited by a moderator:
wombat said:
hi how much are the halmets?

trade discussions are to be between you and the creator. Use private messages

wombat said:
question if you just use the pink stuff why put on the plaster and rondo?

to create a solid jacket to keep the silicone in shape

i am haji said:

Thank you sir glad to see someone was paying attention in class. A mother Mold helps to keep the original mold in the correct shape. As the mold is made from a rubber, it will bend and distort if not properly supported. If the rubber is thick enough to support itself and not need a mother mold, then you would never be able to get it off the original in a glove type motion

What do you use to apply your bondo and where do you get them? I currently use some pan scraper things I found,but they're too rigid and they don't work or clean well.

Kaya Tetsu said:
What do you use to apply your bondo and where do you get them? I currently use some pan scraper things I found,but they're too rigid and they don't work or clean well.

plastic spreaders, they clean well and are really cheap

318KS23KJPL._SL500_AA244_.jpg

hey ben i just watched all your video's and i am now ready for the moulding process i would just like to thank you for all these video's and i would also like to say what great information you have provided in the video tutorials and now i will use these videos and pass on the following information to any one else getting in to moulding and again i would like to say thanks and nice helmets to :p

These videos help out those of us who doesn't know where to begin on the molding/casting process. This is really great Ben! I'd like to see this thread as a Sticky as well. Great job! :)

What is the downside of cutting the silicone mold to get the cast out ? Just incase enough silicone wasnt used or if it was too thick

i am haji said:
What is the downside of cutting the silicone mold to get the cast out ? Just incase enough silicone wasnt used or if it was too thick

the down side is that when you cut a mold or do a two part mold then you have a "flash" line. Flashing is when plastic drips out through the seam and must be sanded off. Another downside is that the cut line will continuously stress the silicon at the point where the line ends. Ever time you de-mold you run the risk of ripping or tearing your silicon mold. This is true of any molding material not just silicone. And lastly but most importantly when you do a two part mold, or a "cut" mold you run a greater risk of the seam not lining up in your mother mold every cast. This can cause a visible seam in the final product, un-even seaming and worst of all a structural weakness at that point.

Conclusion:

Is it bad: NO, but it has it's risks. I prefer to do a "Glove" mold when ever possible as "Glove" molds produce the highest quality castings.

i am haji said:

thank you and sorry about that I am kinda new to the sight also which is cheaper using rondo or extra plaster bandages?

wombat said:
thank you and sorry about that I am kinda new to the sight also which is cheaper using rondo or extra plaster bandages?

For this project it was def. Rondo. That will not always be the case though as prices tend to converge at a point the more you use. For example I buy my plaster bandages in bulk. But for this project I was out so I just bought 4 rolls. When you buy them individually they are $4.09 ea. So hade I doubled up I would have been at the another 16.36, but I always have Several Gallons of bondo and resin laying around. So using 32oz of rondo is only about $7 of material. Had this been something bigger like a torso it would have probably been cheaper to use plaster bandages x2 cause I would have ordered them in bulk and got a price break. That and I would have used almost a full gallon of rondo for each side of a torso which would be about $70 worth of material. I hope that made sense.

BenStreeper said:
For this project it was def. Rondo. That will not always be the case though as prices tend to converge at a point the more you use. For example I buy my plaster bandages in bulk. But for this project I was out so I just bought 4 rolls. When you buy them individually they are $4.09 ea. So hade I doubled up I would have been at the another 16.36, but I always have Several Gallons of bondo and resin laying around. So using 32oz of rondo is only about $7 of material. Had this been something bigger like a torso it would have probably been cheaper to use plaster bandages x2 cause I would have ordered them in bulk and got a price break. That and I would have used almost a full gallon of rondo for each side of a torso which would be about $70 worth of material. I hope that made sense.

thanks that helped a lot

Hey Ben, I don't mean to necro but looked like your PM box was full. Lol Plus I think this question is very relevant to the topic here and other members would benefit from the answer.

I am working on an ODST Helmet perm and I was thinking about molding and casting for friends possibly for members but using latex instead of silicon rubber. I know you mentioned it in one of your vids. But I had a few question about it.

When making a helmet mold out of latex would you use the same technique for the mother mold as you used in your vids?

Also should I make a glove mold?

And would a half gallon or full gallon be needed when using latex for molding a helmet?

Any advice would be very appreciated.

Oh and thanks again for these awesome vids Ben.

Kirrou said:
When making a helmet mold out of latex would you use the same technique for the mother mold as you used in your vids?

Yes, the mother molding technique would be the same for almost any mold you make. Do keep in mind that making a mold from latex for a helmet will require at least 20 layers of latex (about 1/2 a gallon). You will also need to layer in some cheese clothe to help keep the latex from ripping.

Kirrou said:
Also should I make a glove mold?

Yes. Unless it is physically impossible to make a "glove" mold. then you should make a 1 piece "Glove" mold of anything you are molding. This prevents loss of casting materials, flashing, improper lining up of seams, and many other future problems.

Thanks a lot for answering my questions Ben. Your advice is very helpful, and I really appreciate you sharing your knowledge.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back