Easy hex pattern neck seal based on Blue Realm pattern

Discussion in 'Halo Soft Parts' started by gmflex, May 3, 2015.

1. Sabre15

Sabre15 New Member

You did an AWESOME job with this! I would like to see more of this in the future.

2. sangheili101

sangheili101 New Member

Hey man, thank you so much! That looks amazing!

3. Edf0042

Edf0042 New Member

This looks awesome! Has anyone tried to sew this to clothe?

4. AI Blue Fox

AI Blue Fox

Thank you for sharing this with us. I look forward to using this to give my build the best accuracy I can!

5. gmflex

gmflex Member

The original Blue Realm one was pleather I think. That would certainly be more durable. The downside of foam or this hex material is that it wears quickly.

AI Blue Fox likes this.
  6. AI Blue Fox

AI Blue Fox

True, however if you try to avoid turning your head or moving needlessly then it can last a while.

7. Shadowind

Shadowind Member

Why has it taken me this long to see this? This looks like it'll be very helpful for me to actually complete my undersuit.

8. Evolver79

Evolver79

I've bought the hex material and I've been tryin to print the patterns. Every time I try to print,it only prints the center piece. I've read others post about having the same issue. Can someone explain how to make it print correctly? I'm using a Mac and also have photoshop. I'd really appreciate the advice, thank you.

9. AcroAnomaly

AcroAnomaly New Member

can anybody tell me how good Hex70 would work for this part because it is a nice hex pattern to go above

10. gmflex

gmflex Member

I've never seen that stuff before, it's pretty cool.

It would probably work fine but you would have to heat seal the edges to prevent fraying of the nylon. It also might be a bit uncomfortable so you might want to back it with something softer.

11. Evolver79

Evolver79

So, can anyone help with the printing of the patterns?

12. jseraph

jseraph New Member

Oooooh, definitely gonna try this. Not having a neck seal is one of the biggest requirements for my suit, but I had no idea how to go about it. Saving for later!

13. locostorm

locostorm

I just wear a turtleneck.

14. jseraph

jseraph New Member

Do you mean in addition to, or instead of this? Because if it's instead of... No sir. One must become a proper Spartan. :p

15. Sierra 165

Sierra 165

That looks real cool and I wouldn't mind trying it but are you able to move properly with it on eg. Looking up and down, and what not

16. gmflex

gmflex Member

It's not great for mobility, but good enough. The one I made out of foam instead of the hex material works better.

17. Sierra 165

Sierra 165

Either way It's still really cool

18. gmflex

gmflex Member

Thanks! It's easy to make so you could experiment with different materials.

19. Spartan55

Spartan55

That looks a lot more comfy than the silicon ones that I've seen. Is it? Just wounded so I know if I want to get a silicon one or make one like this.

20. serenko3

serenko3 405th Regiment Officer

I may have to try this how well has it held up?

21. gmflex

gmflex Member

It's a little beat up. Definitely not as durable as the foam one I made for Mark VI armor.
    There's a new hex pattern fabric coming from cosplayfabrics.com that would probably work a lot better.

22. CommanderPalmer

CommanderPalmer Membership Officer

As cool as it might look, the pattern is VERY tiny, but the problem is with the material - it's leather-like.
    From some people's experience, you will dehydrate very faster.

23. Evolver79

Evolver79

Just finished painting the neck seal wth Plastidip. I'll let it dry over night and see how it feels. Thank you for thread, it really helped!.
    image.jpg image.jpg

24. tomboy

tomboy

How breathable is your Aero-mat neck seal? It looks like there's some open spaces between the hexes, but that Plastidip on top has got to make it hot.

25. Evolver79

Evolver79

I used an old under armor shirt as an inner liner. I'm hoping that will help the durability and make it more breathable. DragonCon will be the test as far as heat goes.