Entry-Level Costumes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sigma-LS said:
Basically what we've discussed is that the armor needs to look good. We don't really give a damn how it's done. It just needs to look good. However that is accomplished is up to the maker. We've also discussed informal vs. formal events. For informal events like a con, nobody needs to be a costume Nazi. But if we're doing something for Microsoft or Bungie, would you let people show up with unsmoothed angular pep? EDIT: Just using that as an example because it's the most common example.

Exactly But like so many people have said its up to the maker on how angular their armor smooth or warped and I know that this is just a hobby but I built my 1st set of armor and didnt really read too many forums on bondo so when I did it I used a crap load on my 1st helm and too much hardener all at once and needless to say the detail was kinda poor It looked okay but could have looked so much better all I'm getting at is if I was to show up to an event in a low detail or some kind of crappy armor I odont think I should be able to get recognition as part of the 405th
We can see who strives to do a good job mabey what can be done is a honest rating systemwhen someone wants to become official they need to submit pics of their finished build in edetail to certain members who will judge their stuff accordingly.
We are all very un-truthful when we say nice things about some armor that dont look good and I understand we dont want to turn people off from here but if we want to be official we need to meet certain criteria

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't mean to burst bubbles, but I have a friend who's in the 501st, with a "Death Star Gunner" costume. It's a great costume, and very accurate. However, even as popular as Star Wars is, he's still approached by all kinds of folks who comment on his "Darth Vader" costume, even while standing near an actual Darth Vader costume.

Also a comment was made regarding having 1 spartan and several marines (as was proper). In the Halo Universe it's readily explained how multiple spartans might exist, and although the game follows the exploits of one spartan, it wouldn't be odd to have more than one, because none of them hold the role of Master Chief (or any other "face" character, as the 501st calls it).

In terms of mismatched Camo, that's another issue we're addressing, and it may be that there are two or 3 camo patterns that accepted, and that a Specialized Club logo on the shirt may be required, to further enhance the sense of unity, despite the logo t-shirt not being "canon". Yes, we'll be mistaken for the Marines from Aliens, and while wearing a masterchief costume for Halloween a few years back I was called "Robot man" by many folks who had never encountered Halo before.. How would that affect our club adversely? Obviously it sucks a little on a personal level, but as a group, it still has 5 folks in costume, being "seen" together somewhere, and possily doing some good for a worthy cause.. If that's a problem, it's the wrong hobby. Alien Marines still get called "army men" or said to be "playing army" when they go out... it's gonna' happen.

I beleive strongly in having an entry-level costume for the club that would include characters that aren't neccessarily "universally recognized" costumes, but they follow accepted guidelines for each of these costumes, based on their closeness to what can be seen in the games. We tentatively started one such guideline list, but tabled it as we decided to move through other bits of the Charter. The basic idea was that your costume got points for having details called out in the list, and would lose nothing by not having them. Then if there were "negative things" in the costume that matched a negatives list, it loses points (such as exposed unpainted duct tape might lose several points). This is merely an example of what we've been testing, and may not make it as a finished "standard" for the club, but the idea was to set the required number of points for acceptance, and if the suit met it, it was accepted.

These lists, (again, IF we head this route) might even be openly visible to non-members to encourage us all to see how our suits might do, and to suggest areas of improvement. Maximum points for any suit was simply based on how many guideline pointers are listed for that costume.

Vrogy, I see what you're saying, and I'm tempted to agree on some levels. I think I'm in a good position, perhaps better than others here, to state that I am aware of what it's like to be recast, without even "official" credit, knowing full well in advance, that that's how it would be. I helped make original molds for Westerfield's stormtroopers/ alien marines/ and Spartan suits, plus retooled quite a few of Rob's molds that I didn't actually create myself. In the end it got me a Spartan suit, and that's all I was "gunning for". My primary investment was time, as the materials were provided to me. I spent a lot of time and effort, plus Rob's materials and tools. Personally, I love the feeling I get when I see someone wearing something I helped create, especially the one that G4 keeps using, which I helped Rob cut, strap and paint, working alongside him. I don't see any kind of royalties or anything for it.

However, I can also see where some folks might not like that at all. I wouldn't suggest it's not a natural feeling to want the fruits or our labors. For me, the fruit is seeing it be apppreciated, but for other's it's also in the money.

Personally, I'd love to set up some molds and pour the suits nearly at cost plus basic labor. It someone want's to recast it and resell it, it wouldn't matter to me, considering that my prices would be hard to beat unless they vaccum-formed it, and at that point, they'd still become inferior recasts. That'd be fine too because my name wouldn't be attached to it anymore, and my original products would still bear my name. Those really interested would know what was recast, and could make their own decisions. Those that weren't interested, wouldn't appreciate the extra value my suit offered, or might not even agree that mine held extra value. That's their call, not mine. Add in the fact that a busy life, or waiting list, might even prevent folks from getting my stuff, and it seems like a good way of weeding out the non-serious buyers.

If I make a suit for me, it doesn't matter what I get out of it after I get that suit. In that respect, even recasts at 1/3 price or less does nothing but spread my work to new eyes and hands. In terms of the club, it merely offers more uniformity within the costumes, and invites comparison between the recasts and the originals. If someone desparately wants a costume, and this get's it in their hands, I'm happy for having helped. I'm not using it to support a business, it's merely a hobby with some perks.

Eventually, I hope to be doing that, and hopefully my product will be something worth recasting, but that's me, and I wouldn't expect anyone to follow my lead on that.. it's not for everyone.

Deadguy said:
In terms of mismatched Camo, that's another issue we're addressing, and it may be that there are two or 3 camo patterns that accepted, and that a Specialized Club logo on the shirt may be required, to further enhance the sense of unity, despite the logo t-shirt not being "canon". Yes, we'll be mistaken for the Marines from Aliens, and while wearing a masterchief costume for Halloween a few years back I was called "Robot man" by many folks who had never encountered Halo before.. How would that affect our club adversely? Obviously it sucks a little on a personal level, but as a group, it still has 5 folks in costume, being "seen" together somewhere, and possily doing some good for a worthy cause.. If that's a problem, it's the wrong hobby. Alien Marines still get called "army men" or said to be "playing army" when they go out... it's gonna' happen.

Well for camo for ODST I think this should be the one for all ODST from halo 2

http://405th.com/forums/index.php?showtopi...amp;#entry77855

that looks superb, is there a online store that sells that, i havnt been able to find something like that, alternatively you could get urban camo..even if it has white just dye it with gray,

Assassin716 said:
that looks superb, is there a online store that sells that, i havnt been able to find something like that, alternatively you could get urban camo..even if it has white just dye it with gray,

but why dye gray when you can buy it for like 30 bucks ;)

http://www.bdu.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen...Code=F545238061

I bought a dessert camo from this place which was very nice I'll post some pictures in a bit.

edit
I think this better way then trying to dye the urban camo from white to gray it make it look alot better when we have all the same camo at least in my opinion :D

there another place that sells it a little cheaper but never bought anything from them but looks promising with all the other supplies like helmet padding and stuff
http://www.uspatriotstore.com/search.aspx?Keyword=urban

this looks promising to cover the neck and prevent helmet fogging
http://www.uspatriotstore.com/ProductInfo....roductid=UA5503

Sigma-LS said:
Dude, I ain't knockin' pep. It's my baby for making awesome armor. I was just asking why he was picking vac over the alternatives (especially when there are no vac suits yet).

Besides for me, molding armor just means spending an extra $200 to make resin copies of my pep stuff.

I have made over 40 of them last year. Look agen

Sorry about the miscommunication Rob. I was talking about marines and ODST's and soft costumes. Though I know you're working on some, I was pointing out that a lot of people lately have been putting the cart before the horse as far as what should be used in lots of costumes that haven't even been created yet. I have yet to see 1 completed Halo marine from anyone. Hopefully that will change soon but until then I believe discussion of possible kit prices should be left alone. At this stage everything people are saying is speculation.

Vrogy said:
Actually, let's look to other costuming clubs- what's the basic cost of putting together a standard 501st-legal stormtrooper?
I seem to remember armor kits being around 600$- what's the total cost, though, all the strapping, undersuit, etc?

$1200 for most TK

We make a USCM armor for $450 so some (or us) can do it (Marine) for the same ish price

We were working on an armor Party (JUST LIKE THE 501) in Largo FL to help the pep.(armour at cost)

Waylane Get over your bad self (What are you doing too help?

I have give (FREE) and paid for the shipping parts too peps in the 405 and 501 to HELP.

I have
Jousting armour $12,000
Field armour $2,000
Roman armor $1,000
WW I kit $2,000
WW II Kits 6,000
Star Wars TK TB Officer Sandmen $4,000
HALO MC $1,400
USCM $800
ACW $1200
ECW $1500
US Army 1964 $2000

ODST Soon
MARINE Soon
Flood Soon

I am working on a Tank and VW Field Car for WW II

We are working on a GOST for D-Con.

I work 60+ Hr a week and have 3 Companies with 5 workers.

I teach at my studio I teach 1400 Sword Fighting And Vaunter at the Park down from my house. And I have a 13 yr Kid with too cat. And I AM have dyslexia bad...

You attack all of us here. Am I better than you? God I hope I am not like you at all...

Moulded armor = circle-jerk.

All I can say to get over your bad self. Get a better job be help full.

Rob said:
I have made over 40 of them last year. Look agen
ether you finding it really keep or im looking at the wrong stuff. The good acus that wont wrinkle, 4 way elastic, anatomical breast pockets (makes it easier to slide your hands in), velcro for name, Good combat boots are not cheep. That what i got form the us army for my rotc in college and i also priced it at other stores and it not cheap.

Spartan 051 said:
ether you finding it really keep or im looking at the wrong stuff. The good acus that wont wrinkle, 4 way elastic, anatomical breast pockets (makes it easier to slide your hands in), velcro for name, Good combat boots are not cheep. That what i got form the us army for my rotc in college and i also priced it at other stores and it not cheap.

used boot $25
Nock off BDUs top + pants $65
Name tag $14 us army navy story
Tack Vest $165
Hat $14
Helmet (Marine Halo Un painted Linnk44 150.00 I think)
Gun $150 I see them out there for that.

$585.00

Im still pushing him to finish the ODST, and i believe hes taking the infection form pepakura file i have and using that to make a foam plushy for me, but i do believe he mention making a suit or some type of undersuit to go with marine armor that would be the flood tentacles and stuff

Assassin716 said:
Im still pushing him to finish the ODST, and i believe hes taking the infection form pepakura file i have and using that to make a foam plushy for me, but i do believe he mention making a suit or some type of undersuit to go with marine armor that would be the flood tentacles and stuff
I wonder how the flood marine would look like can't imagine someone keeping there head slanted all day long but either way it would look nice

I know someone mentioned Halo 1 marine outfits, dunno if anyone has posted these or not so here you go.

Marine Fatigue Unform
MarineFatiguesUniform.jpg

Marine Armored
MarineArmoredUniform.jpg

Sigma-LS said:
Sorry about the miscommunication Rob. I was talking about marines and ODST's and soft costumes. Though I know you're working on some, I was pointing out that a lot of people lately have been putting the cart before the horse as far as what should be used in lots of costumes that haven't even been created yet. I have yet to see 1 completed Halo marine from anyone. Hopefully that will change soon but until then I believe discussion of possible kit prices should be left alone. At this stage everything people are saying is speculation.

Sorry

Rob said:
Waylane Get over your bad self (What are you doing too help? (1)

I teach at my studio I teach 1400 Sword Fighting And Vaunter at the Park down from my house. And I have a 13 yr Kid with too cat. And I AM have dyslexia bad... (2)

You attack all of us here. Am I better than you? God I hope I am not like you at all... (3)

Moulded armor = circle-jerk. (4)

All I can say to get over your bad self. Get a better job be help full. (5)

Point 1: the name's Weyland. As for help? I offer my own unique perspective, and I believe I'm as entitled to it as you are yours. If you dislike my opinion then you're more than welcome to take it up with me - via PM, as I have agreed.

Point 2: That is unfortunately apparent, however, I commend you on your efforts. You most cetrainly are hardworking, and let it be known that I will never mount an attack on anyone who wishes to create armor, whether formed of pepakura or a moulded technique. My argument was simply that I felt that a lot of the 'mould-centered' members of the forum were taking too firm a stance on what is and is not acceptable, and shunning those who can't meet those demands for one reason or another.

Point 3: As I hope to God I'm unlike you. However, see my above point: I attack nobody, and nobody specific. Nor do I attack any desired methods of armorcrafting - as I stated before, I merely wished to point out that the mould-crafters of the site seemed rather more intent on forcing their methods on the less talented among us. Thankfully, I have been proven wrong, and the record has been set straight.

Point 4: while that certainly appears to be the case, as I said before, I have been proven wrong and as before, if you wish me to restract my statement I certainly will do so.

Point 5: if this post is anything to go by, I already have, my good friend. As for 'doing a better job and being helpful'... I'm currently in progress with three MJOLNIR suits for semi-personal use, one for non-personal use. I'm also working on a Varia suit as seen in Metroid Prime, an Iron Man costume, and a COG armor suit as featured in Gears of War - and all of this is while working a nine-to-five job in a busy office environment six days a week, with little time after to deal with my hobbies due to having a house to keep. Beware of accusing me of laziness or attacking others due to my inexperience, because I can and will prove you wrong.

I aim for this post to be the last in this little debate. Further problems regarding any post regarding my opinions should be filed via personal message. Any such compaints will be responded to accordingly.

As for the point of this topic: it is my belief that most 'army surlus' stores would stock webbing of some kind that could be rigged for use as an ODST or Marine. I'll look into the matter when I can.

OMG!!! STOP BASHING EACH OTHER IN THIS UNDER MINDED WAY!!! It isnt straight forward but you can see the sarcasm in it... We are all here to be together and make armor and no one should be criticized on their armor unless it is constructive. Molded armor is no better than Pep armor or cardboard, etc... it is just different and no one should be looked down on because of this. Obviously molded armor will have a bit more detail or some things that pep cant have but it still doesnt mean that pep is bad. Just work together and work hard, there shouldnt be wasted time bickering back and forth on weather or not someone's is good enough, and there really isnt a point in arguing over what will be accept in the 405th once it is fully established since NONE of you are mods and will have the right to make that decision. Leave it alone, get back one topic.

To get on topic, marines are cool and there are a lot cheaper tac vests out there Rob, airsoft Tac vests look the exact sae and are 60 bucks cheaper, check out airsoftgi.com

EDIT: by the way Rob and Primal you guys are the last people we want in a little girl scout bicker fight because you two are both very stubborn and head strong.

Im not going to comment on the quarrel above, but as for tac vests, its a really good idea, it is cheaper, but for some it doesnt give the correct feel, im not bashing, just specifying, it would be best to get a tac vest and do a Halo 1 marine chest plate and put it over the tac vest, but for ODST i would say nah, as for Halo 2 marines a definite yes, but youll have to work with some pouch and sewing to get things evened out

Primal Weyland said:
Point 1: the name's Weyland. As for help? I offer my own unique perspective, and I believe I'm as entitled to it as you are yours. If you dislike my opinion then you're more than welcome to take it up with me - via PM, as I have agreed.

Point 2: That is unfortunately apparent, however, I commend you on your efforts. You most cetrainly are hardworking, and let it be known that I will never mount an attack on anyone who wishes to create armor, whether formed of pepakura or a moulded technique. My argument was simply that I felt that a lot of the 'mould-centered' members of the forum were taking too firm a stance on what is and is not acceptable, and shunning those who can't meet those demands for one reason or another.

Point 3: As I hope to God I'm unlike you. However, see my above point: I attack nobody, and nobody specific. Nor do I attack any desired methods of armorcrafting - as I stated before, I merely wished to point out that the mould-crafters of the site seemed rather more intent on forcing their methods on the less talented among us. Thankfully, I have been proven wrong, and the record has been set straight.

Point 4: while that certainly appears to be the case, as I said before, I have been proven wrong and as before, if you wish me to restract my statement I certainly will do so.

Point 5: if this post is anything to go by, I already have, my good friend. As for 'doing a better job and being helpful'... I'm currently in progress with three MJOLNIR suits for semi-personal use, one for non-personal use. I'm also working on a Varia suit as seen in Metroid Prime, an Iron Man costume, and a COG armor suit as featured in Gears of War - and all of this is while working a nine-to-five job in a busy office environment six days a week, with little time after to deal with my hobbies due to having a house to keep. Beware of accusing me of laziness or attacking others due to my inexperience, because I can and will prove you wrong.

I aim for this post to be the last in this little debate. Further problems regarding any post regarding my opinions should be filed via personal message. Any such compaints will be responded to accordingly.
As for the point of this topic: it is my belief that most 'army surlus' stores would stock webbing of some kind that could be rigged for use as an ODST or Marine. I'll look into the matter when I can.

Well stated... I go off time to time... Good points... ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back