Entry-Level Costumes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Vrogy said:
I think that's where the working props come in.. I can see the headlines now-
Crazed halo Fans Assault Bungie Offices!, Three Slain By Superhuman Future-Warriors!, etc.

You know, I like the sound of that idea... also kinda goes with one of my new favorite quotes
"There's a fine line between a felony and doing something really cool." :D

Last edited by a moderator:
My argument, when the time comes, will be that I think only game screen, movie characters, and official character representations (ie- bungie commercials) should be acceptable. Landfall being treated as a mini movie, and therefore included.

I hate the idea of concept art being adequate, especially since you won't have enough views to do both sides of a costume, and because it's an artistic rendering that ignores concepts of the absolutes that appear in the "finished suits."

I mean, it could be considered non-canon, but again, without establishing shots of both sides of the costume, how could it ever be determined to be considered canon accurate? What if there are two folks going for that costume, and both look completely different from other views; where is your "canon" now? ;)

The easiest "background" characters to substantiate for reasons of being considered "Canon" are going to be the HALO 3 ones you can get enough in-game screenshots of.. like the traxus uniforms and Section Personnel for example. Halo 1 and 2 are slightly harder to do, but still achievable. The Landfall minifilm is pretty good too.

Deadguy said:
My argument, when the time comes, will be that I think only game screen, movie characters, and official character representations (ie- bungie commercials) should be acceptable. Landfall being treated as a mini movie, and therefore included.

I hate the idea of concept art being adequate, especially since you won't have enough views to do both sides of a costume, and because it's an artistic rendering that ignores concepts of the absolutes that appear in the "finished suits."

I mean, it could be considered non-canon, but again, without establishing shots of both sides of the costume, how could it ever be determined to be considered canon accurate? What if there are two folks going for that costume, and both look completely different from other views; where is your "canon" now? ;)

The easiest "background" characters to substantiate for reasons of being considered "Canon" are going to be the HALO 3 ones you can get enough in-game screenshots of.. like the traxus uniforms and Section Personnel for example. Halo 1 and 2 are slightly harder to do, but still achievable. The Landfall minifilm is pretty good too.

So Halo .5 pre game Spartan would be OK then?

Deadguy said:

Adam said:
Honestly, my armor isn't that good. It's very misshapen and thrown together. Thing is, it's the right proportion and has a depective paintjob making it look pretty good.

really, that should be the minimal quality.

See Deadguy, its not canon, its it being big and having a really nice paintjob to go with it. Pshhh what's canon?

I'm gonna make a a Master Queen Alien Cheif, Yeah...

But seriously, if canon is what to be accepted (which it should) it should be to the best detail possible. It doesn't have to be perfect and improvements can be made over time, especially on molded or vacuum formed pieces. This is about entry level costumes, costumes on the cheap for people that can't pay for a suitable shiny suit that is big with a snazzy paintjob.

Its not hard to get decently canon from in games characters and the short films that aired as adverts. We have plenty of reference pics, no need for concept art to be thought of.

Primal Weyland said:
TheRob, meet my post, and also, the ignored request to drop the argument, as agreed to by SpartanForever.

Take it to PMs if you have anything further to say. If it detracts from this topic any further, it will be reported - let's get this thing back on track before disciplinary action has to be taken, please. I'd rather not have to have the moderating team down on you, Third Reich as their techiques may be or not.

I love this... everyone missed the Nazi reference...

Start the post out chastising someone for arguing, and then throw in a "Mods use Nazi like techniques" comment...

I can't help but just laugh that no one saw that... You are getting better about those sly comments.. *still shaking my head while laughing

Spase said:

Start the post out chastising someone for arguing, and then throw in a "Mods use Nazi like techniques" comment...

I can't help but just laugh that no one saw that... You are getting better about those sly comments.. *still shaking my head while laughing

I missed that too, I guess. Funny, I usually pick up on those - at least to myself - and think of this:

Godwin's Law
Which states: "As a Usenet discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Nazis or Hitler approaches one."

Spase said:

*sighs*

Topic.

=============================================

YOU

Guess which side you should be on?

Ruze789 said:
I missed that too, I guess. Funny, I usually pick up on those - at least to myself - and think of this:

Godwin's Law
Which states: "As a Usenet discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Nazis or Hitler approaches one."

Lets move on from the Nazi thing It is to over used. I am a WWII recanter and know may vets on both sides. Nazi made people rap dead women. Used gas on the retarded shot kids in ditches as there moms and dads cover them with there one body to stop the bullets. Turning you in for saying the wrong thing.

A friend of mine was in a Luftwaffe 88 AA gun batter in Berlen and saw 6 kids (8 to 12 year) shoot by Nazis for leaving there post during an air rade,

Not to start with the Jew, Jahova Wintness and gays 60 to 80 million dead.

To think that you say the mods are Nazis or act like them. Not even a clue.

I am with Luftwaffe 3rd recon North Africa.

Sorry for the rant but we need to stop with the Nazis bit.

I know SPAM

How much do you think most should spend on a good basic costume say a H1 Marine?

BDU $75
Boot $25
Armour$300.00ish?

Primal, if you just want us to ban you, why don't you simply come out and ask for it? Or are we supposed to be jabbing back at you on your level? mr. poopy head?

No more jabs.. A moderator commenting on your inflammatory comments are not an off topic discussion. They are intended to remind you that your little jabs are not acceptable behavior. That's their job, as much as following the rules is yours. If you cannot abide by the rules, we cannot abide by you.

If you wish to continue on with this side topic, please do it through pm's, or I will begin requiring that all of your posts require the approval of the mods before they even get onto the board. If our moderation in the past was irritating, it pales in comparison to what we COULD be doing to you, and WILL be doing to you if you can't seem to keep your little problem in-check. I think we've given you adequate warning both through PM's and out here in the open, and you're forcing us to do something MORE than warn, in-order to enforce the forum rules. Honestly, just chill with the jabs and the problem disappears... it's that easy.

You think we're abusing our "powers" and in reality, it's you that's abusing the goodwill of the folks that own/operate this place. Can you refrain from attacking other members/moderators with your snide jabs, or do you need the small child treatment? Don't bother answering me, as your actions will de facto become your answer. You don't have to like me, I dont have to like you, but you do have to follow the rules if you wish to continue posting here.

This matter is closed.
-----

Back to the topic, I don't think the price range of an entry-level costume is as important as it's apparent accuracy to the game. My own opinion is that if it can be established as canon, that's the end of the discussion.

As to if the Halo .5 costume is canon, or not, my opinion is that it wouldn't be, considering that it isn't included in the Halo 1 - 3, and isn't part of the official storyline. Of course, that doesn't mean it can't be considered acceptable as a non-canon suit, for non-canon events. At this time, it looks as though we're headed towards requiring a Canon costume for admittance to the club, but after that, it's intended that non-canon costumes can also be accepted as secondary (or whatever) costumes.

I personally think that for those costumes which are basic marines that are "unidentifiable" as being from the game, we add a requirement that they wear the club logo as patch insignia, or as a tshirt, to help tie-it-in with the club/halo universe a bit more. That's merely my opinion, but what does everyone else think?

The-Rob, heh heh.. yeah, I think Adam's suit is pretty good, personally, because the overall impression makes it so. He's kinda' been down on his suit lately, but I dunno'... if it appeared in a Halo film, I'd "fall for it". I guess it's one of those artist things where the errors GLARE at the creator, but are barely noticed (if noticed at all) by everyone else. I'd be pretty pleased with that armor's quailty myself, even without that killer paint job.

Deadguy said:
yeah, I think Adam's suit is pretty good, personally, because the overall impression makes it so. He's kinda' been down on his suit lately, but I dunno'... if it appeared in a Halo film, I'd "fall for it". I guess it's one of those artist things where the errors GLARE at the creator

heh, thats why it's so good though isn't it? If your never satisfied it will always be improved, although it's maddening for the creator, and to be honest I think Adams is so darn good I don't know how he keeps finding ways to improve it....

Sad to hear he could ever be down on it, so much talent went into it... It's pwns the liscensed stuff.

Going back the the .5 though, is it mentioned in books and stuff? I havn't read them, but personally I'd think anything in the books (as long as it is described well enough to be reproduced accurately) should be canon...

I don't agree.. I feel that canon shouldn't be dictated by description because there's too much room for interpretation. Pictures can nail down the costume.

The halo .5 suit isn't noted anywhere.. the only reference to it at all is the commercials showing it fighting the covenant on one of the rings.. prior to discovery of the rings.

I joined not that long ago and am still deciding on which pep armor to start making. I've read all the tuts and done other research on the side. I plan on molding my armor and making it all it can be. Entry level uniforms are a good idea. They don't have to be expensive to look good. The BDU's should match but the boots are another story. Look at any military unit in the US and the boots don't match! The troops are given choices on their footwear. Not everything in the uniform needs to be expensive. With a little work you can go to Walmart / Kmart / insert your local store and find the materials you need to complete your uniform at a VERY reasonable price. Ingenuity is the key to meeting the standards. As we used to say in the Army, adapt, and improvise.

As for comparing the 405th with the 501st - WE make our armor (or are hopefully in the process) whereas they buy theirs. I'm not going to beat this horse but I for one would rather be with a group that accepts me for MY efforts in meeting their standards than a group that basically says "go here and give them your credit card number."

Yes I'm a noob here but I'm not a youngster anymore either. I have enjoyed reading through the forums and learned quite a bit on different subjects and I thank those that made that possible. Quality standards need to be set and adhered to for everyone. But an acceptable level doesn't need to cost 500-600 dollars or more (see first paragraph). Don't send pictures of cardboard and duct tape or even straight pep with a light coat of paint. I know I won't! If allowed I will start a thread on my armor progress and make it the best I can even if it takes me 18 months to get accepted. Nothing in life is free - except for the good folks here allowing us to benefit from all their hard work from the pep files and their experience. Work for acceptance into the 405th and in the long run it will pay off for all of us.

End of rant.

tlither said:
I joined not that long ago and am still deciding on which pep armor to start making. I've read all the tuts and done

End of rant.

Hi looks like you will fit in fine.

Hey guys been searching up a bit on making a crew uniform and came across this picture from a friend on Westerfields myspace.

captainkeyes.jpg

was also looking on amazon and seems you can find alot of cheap new military jumpsuits to use, and different vendors have different colors, as for adding the ribbed padded parts for the chest, neck, and shoulders, you will most likely have to make those yourself and sew them to the jumpsuit, but just something to think about

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back