Finheads Ironman Build - Prototype Hing With Chin Movement P.10

Status
Not open for further replies.
Altair651 said:
Sorry, I meant to say what did you make the casts out of? Can you give specific instructions as to how you made the pull too?

the casts are fiberglass. im pretty sure thats posted somewhere within the last few posts.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes cast in glass. As for how I did the pull pretty straight forward. Release agent, gelcoat (paint it in) let it tack. Lay in a ground coat of resin and start laying in your mat in a cris cross pattern make sure you get all the air out (air pockets weaken the piece). If you cross enough you get a good 2 coats and your done. Let it cure overnight and pop em out. Easy just time consuming if you have multiple pieces.

your work is amazing. I'd love to buy a cast from you, but I know you put countless hours and money into it. I'm sure the price is high, but well worth it. This is the best helm I've seen on this site.

Gonna attempt my 2nd ironman helm and I hope for 1/2 as good as your results

M3MPHIS said:
AWESOME DETAIL!

Do you have pictures of the bondo stages of the helmet (if you used bondo)

I need to start researching the mold making process as well but I'm not there yet.

Sorry missed this last night. I didn't and don't use Bondo, I use automotive grade filler. And sorry no pics, no time for that when I'm working the filler.

balistek said:
your work is amazing. I'd love to buy a cast from you, but I know you put countless hours and money into it. I'm sure the price is high, but well worth it. This is the best helm I've seen on this site.

Gonna attempt my 2nd ironman helm and I hope for 1/2 as good as your results

Good luck on your second attempt. :cool And don't worry your not missing anything I'm not offering these anyway. ;)

The pulls look great Fin!! As someone else pointed out before, it is hard to tell the master from the pull (aside from the eyes cut). Im still amazed at your abilty to work with fiberglass like that! I never attempted making a pull with the gelcoat/fiberglass material, very impressed with your results!

Finhead said:
Yes cast in glass. As for how I did the pull pretty straight forward. Release agent, gelcoat (paint it in) let it tack. Lay in a ground coat of resin and start laying in your mat in a cris cross pattern make sure you get all the air out (air pockets weaken the piece). If you cross enough you get a good 2 coats and your done. Let it cure overnight and pop em out. Easy just time consuming if you have multiple pieces.

What does gelcoat stand for? What is a gelcoat?

your craftsmanship is awesome finhead so very cool im a big fan of yours:)i wish i could make one though

Iron Mang said:

A Gelcoat is a high viscosity polyester resin coating similar to gel hence the name, that can be brushed into a mold to capture all the detail, and crevisces of an object, before being backed with a rigid coating such as fiberglass cloth & resin. The cloth and resin alone is harder to work with, and will not capture minute deatils. Gelcoat make this process easier. Hope That answers your question.

Fin,

That is amazing!!! Looking forward to updates as usual. It's a shame ur not offering them, if your molding them. You could def recoop your investment and then some!!

For some reason can't locate my shin files, and the leg files on the "complete file thread" seem to be missing? Also what was up with the 405th site not working last night?

Okay I'm officially frustrated. I still can't find that link for the MK III Shins by dancin fool. Can anyone give me a hand?

You all need to take a breather. DF has not built any shins yet, nor has he built abs or boots or gloves. If you want that stuff you have to dig through the the Carnage and Clarx files to get what you want as the stuff I built is a hybrid that needs to be peped a certain way and it's not just a cut fold and glue anymore. I wont post those files because they are not a complete file they are bits and pieces.

Not much to update but I've been messing around with some tints and one cold cast brass faceplate. It didn't work out that well, for some reason pulled way from the mold in spots, so it'll be the battle damaged faceplate. :lol:p

IMG_2006.jpg

IMG_2007.jpg

And one of the lids a buddy took home. This one was just trimed sanded a coat of primer and a coat of base just cause I had some kicking around. :cool

photo.jpg

Finhead said:
Thanks but that's just 20 min of standing and just the base coat. Quick 45 min max after demolding.

I've been sanding mine for weeks and it doesn't look as good as one of your damaged helms.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back