*Finished(?) Pg 12* 13-Year-Old's Non-Toxic Spartan-III build

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking great so far mate, keep up the good work, cant believe how fast you work, took me ages to build my helm, but then again I did use the HD version by FS. Still not finished lol.

Thanks for the support guys. I plan on using layered either layered cardboard or foamies for the chest piece. Still haven't started though. School is also slowing my progress down. The forearm took me a whole week to do, but that was mostly because I was distracted. I found a good codpiece, but the unfold was deleted from 4shared: http://www.4shared.com/file/goQtqtER/ReachCod_By_RoadWarrior.html

Anyone know a good chest file? I don't think I can finish the V3 by L3x, and I feel that the back of the V2 is a bit off, plus the scaling is a bit weird. I might give it a shot again, though if there's a faster file to pep then please let me know. I'm going to start on the shin now, and it'll be the Reach Shin HD by someone. It's the one with the FJ/Para included.

I haven't followed along with this thread at all I'll admit, because I fail at keep up to date with a lot of things. But I read the first few lines in your very first post, about you wanting you get it done for Halloween, and hopefully my words will come as encouragement for you: I managed, just barely, to finish my suit in about 2.5 weeks just before PAX. It was super rushed (by my standards, but I'm an OCD perfectionist freak who procrastinates a lot lol), but it got done, and it was a blast to wear.
So I wish you much luck, and with enough hard work, I'm sure you'll get it done and will wear it proudly.

Also skimmed through and saw a couple pics, and everything's looking good so far!

I lied. I didn't start on the shin. I changed my mind and made the second forearm. This one doesn't have those buckle pieces and it's not cut on the top, since this one will have a TACPAD. Here's some pics:
img0305mt.jpg

img0306pzl.jpg

img0308jt.jpg

img0307tz.jpg

As usual, I have questions too. The shin file I have has the FJ/Para knees attached. How far up do the FJ/Para kneeguards go up my leg? I need this for scaling purposes.

Thanks!

Whoo, I am on a roll! Just finished the other shin piece now. Sorry I can't get all pic heavy, it's late.

Oops, the picture is upside down. *facehoof*

Thanks for the compliment.

It appears I'm at an impass. The thigh piece by ForgedReclaimer has at least one piece that is not unfolded properly. I don't have my laptop right now so I can't reprint it, and I can't upload pictures of it either.

Finished pepping the rest of the chest piece, just for the sake of it. I think the scaling is fine for this year:
img0321ol.jpg

Also, the handplates are completely finished. They're attach to my glove via a garter that goes around my hand:
img0317cg.jpg

img0318yy.jpg

img0319vv.jpg

Triple Post... Ooh dang.

Well, after a week of procrastination, I got around to pepping the right thigh by ForgedReclaimer on Sunday. I just finished now, but I still need to do some cardboard detailing where it would be a pain to pep.
img0342e.jpg

img0340do.jpg

img0339v.jpg

Right Leg (Sorry about the lighting in this one):
img0337q.jpg

img0338ow.jpg

I have to start going into Overdrive, it's already the 12th of October...

On an unrelated note, why does the iPod touch 4g have horrible resolution while the iPhone 4 gets decent pics? I mean, they were released at around the same time...

wow you really keep people updated on your progress (unlike me xD and =( ) it looks great so keep up the great work
last time i posted in this thread i said fantastic a lot and this time i am saying great a lot xD no other word

Great pepping buddy, i am interested in your non toxic thing. My group would love that rofl they hate resin and basically give me the shaft so i deal with it all the time and truth be told, it`s pretty nasty.

Good work! I wish I were as good as you! Are you planning on making it blue?( B/c that's what the pic at the front shows.) As for the crappy Ipod resolution, Apple makes the pic quality of iPhones better than Ipod touches b/c they are like $200 more.

Thanks for the support guys. Yes, I am making most of the armor blue. If you look through this thread, you'll see the helmet is fully painted and ready for the mounting process. As far as non-toxic stuff goes, this is just paper mache, the woodglue method, and some experimental body filler. I might post a tut depending on the outcome of my build.

Alright, this is just an update post, no pictures or anything. First off, the deadline has been moved from Halloween to the 29th, for event reasons. I have about a week and a half, so I'll have to cut down on some stuff, like the boots. I've just started pepping the codpiece, and I need to start on the left thigh. So far, only the helmet and gloves are completely mache'd. I'm going to bypass the smoothing stage; I might smooth it later on, just so this build can be complete.

For the visor and helmet padding, I have a Snake Eyes mask that I wear under the helmet. It is by no means a permanent solution, because the visor is too far back, and is too short, but it gets the job done for now. I'm hoping I can finish the rest of the pepping by Saturday, I might get some help from someone. Paper mache should only take a few days, and painting is reallly quick.

Any constructive criticism, tips on how to get it done faster, or words of encouragement are welcome.

Triple post! But that's okay, since this is a MAJOR UPDATE!!!!! RAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAWWWWWWWRRRRRR!

Earlier today, I finished pepping the left thigh and codpiece (sorry, no pics of thigh):
img0343fr.jpg

But I decided that wasn't post worthy enough, so I paper mache'd as much as I could. I ended up completing both forearms, 1 shin, and the codpiece.
img0346m.jpg

And now, here is my completely pepped (for now) armor in its various stages of completion. Wait, completely pepped in various stages of completion? Well, you get the point.
img0344ky.jpg

img0345sp.jpg

Not sure if I'm going to re-pep this since there's mache on the outside...
img0347y.jpg

Also, here is my stand-in visor and helmet "padding", a slightly customized Snake Eyes mask.
img0348v.jpg

It looks good from the front...
img0349ce.jpg

Not so much from the side.
img0350qa.jpg

Here's me wearing it. "Thumbs up" seems to be popular with helmet pics.
img0351xv.jpg

1 week left! Let's see if my super procrastination powers will help me finish in time for the 29th!

EDIT: :D This thread now has 117 replies!
images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTriQ7smuletoZWrNRHVFtG2VzkrzQkK55vA-F56Ng4yzuBQo9mLY-IK9p3mQ.jpg

AHHHH THIS POST IS TARDY! PLUS IT'S A QUAD!

Anyway, I pulled it together Saturday morning. Didn't have any time to post an update or take pics, or finish the shoulder pieces. It turned heads at the parade. Someone took my name down and age, so I guess it was for a contest, though I had to leave early. The costume held up, besides some minor tears in the shin piece, plus the missing shoulders gave me more mobility.

Sunday morning. Did absolutely nothing.

Monday afternoon. Went to school. Didn't bring my costume, didn't want to risk it breaking.

Finally, trick or treating time:

My suit, in most of its pride and glory. I didn't need to use any foam padding. I set up a simple string rig to keep the codpiece up, and the shins and forearms were friction fit to some X-Games kneepads. For the undersuit I had some simple, breathable polyester tights and longsleeves shirt. I also wore my Underarmor shorts over the tights and hid them under the kneepads since it had a bit more stiching detail.

It was received with the usual positive response:
"OMG It's Halo!"
"Hi Halo"
"Dude, sweet costume."

Plus a few unusual ones:
"Woah, Halo Spartan. Dude, you are like my... IDOL!"

(Conversation)
Kid 1: "Look, it's a Halo guy!"
Kid 2: "Master Chief!"
Kids 1,2,3: "SHOOT ME!"

I'll have pictures of all the individual pieces whenever. I'd like to thank everyone on the 405th for the advice and support, and for helping me make this the best Halloween yet. PEACE!

Man! For what that is, excellent job! You did a fantastic job making the most of cheap and non-toxic materials. Your pep work is clean, and that tells me you were willing to take the time to make this happen. Kudos to you! Can't wait to see more of your work!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back