*Finished(?) Pg 12* 13-Year-Old's Non-Toxic Spartan-III build

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dude this is awesome! The fact that your 13 in itself is amazing. I'm 14 and just starting with pepakura. I suck... I can't wait to see the completed project! Good luck and keep going!

Just a quick question. The spartan forearm by Ruze and unfolded by Halogoddess, is male, correct? I'm just wondering since I only had to scale it down a little, and it's a bit thinner than the one I downloaded from another modeler. But there's also a different link for the female, so did I download the male one? Here's the link:
http://www.4shared.com/file/WFOQd5Il/Ruze789_Reach_Forearm_Unfold.html
Honestly i would presume. but it seems fine on a male, so either way, if it works for you, use it. Im 16 and im working on an ODST build, with all credit to Hugh Holder. Your armor is amazing and i really enjoy the fact everone and you love the MOJLNEAR armor, but even in the story cannon, i pay more attention to the ODSTs, Marines, Soilders, Police, and other characters than the spartans. I did want to build the armor, but i am OBSESSED with Orbital Drop Shock Troopers than the spartan. Anyway, im doing the resin and bondo hardening process, but quick Q. How much to you think you spend on your hardening process?

Thanks for all the support, guys. My helmet has the first layer of mache on the outside fully dry, but I have plans and I can't post pictures right now.

To answer your question, VIzard, Without interruption, I can fully harden a piece with 4 layers in about 1/2-3/4 of the daytime.

Thanks for all the support, guys. My helmet has the first layer of mache on the outside fully dry, but I have plans and I can't post pictures right now.

To answer your question, VIzard, Without interruption, I can fully harden a piece with 4 layers in about 1/2-3/4 of the daytime.
Sweet! thanks shadow. Ive just been looking for a cheap and AVAILABLE alternative to hardening. I still plan on doing the bondo body filler for detail, but im excited to see what next is to come from you. Keep up the good work, and ill have chief make some cookies for you, lol.

Progress has been made! *fanfare*

By working from dawn til dusk (well, 9am-6pm) I have completely hardened my Mk VI helmet. With four layers, it boasts the same strength as my Mk VI forearm, which has been thrown across the room multiple times and still lives.
img0290lj.jpg

img0291sl.jpg

img0293cz.jpg

img0292bb.jpg

Any questions or constructive critism are welcome. Also, don't forget to check out my chest under-armor build here It is still in the planning stage, but please feel free to comment.

Edit: I forgot to add, the method I use to dry my pieces very quickly, is to blast it with a blowdryer until it's dry to the touch, but the heat softens it a little. Then I place it in front of an electrical fan on medium-low to fully dry.

Also, I'm having trouble with the forearm by Ruze and unfolded by HaloGoddess. Done properly, it should come out very smooth, but it's just getting deformed for me. Does anyone know a better model?

lookin good so far. I think you are about the only person who i have seen that has actualyl gotten the mache to work for them and not super warp their project!

I attempted to paint the helmet today. Unfortunately, the edges where the paper strips overlapped were brought out by the paint. But the finish and color of the spray paint I'm using (Krylon Regal Blue gloss) turned out just fine. I've also done some shadowing and drybrushing, as well as custom drawings. But it's too late to post a picture, it's toooo laaaaaaate. I'll have pictures when the smell goes away.

Also, does anyone have a good method for tinting and mirroring a coke bottle visor?

Thanks, I thought it would take attention away from the paper mache.

I'm having trouble pepping right now. I feel like I'm making slow progress on the forearm by SJSUSPARTAN and I really don't feel like scratch building the chest piece right now. I don't think the L3X V2 unfolded by Carpathiavh99 is accurate enough, but the V3 seems too difficult and time consuming. What chest file is easy to pep but a little more accurate than the V2, specifically on the back?

Ooh, sorry to hear about the strip edges being noticeable. Have the same problem with most ov my stuff. From what I hear a lot from other topics, I would suggest Plastidip, it's a primer and I think it could help with the edge issue because other people on their foam armor project use masking tape to cover the gaps between different pieces and use the Plastidip to cover the tape's edges :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back