*Finished(?) Pg 12* 13-Year-Old's Non-Toxic Spartan-III build

Status
Not open for further replies.
I used 1/3 Water and 2/3 White Glue. I used thin and short pieces about 1/2" by 2". I think the clay would be good for inside reinforcement but it takes a while to dry.

Double post, Yeaaaaaauuuuuh!

This is what I've finished so far on the Mk VI helmet:

This part of detailing was inspired by Spitfire22V, I believe. In his thread he layered posterboard over the handplates to add detail. I used that concept and applied it to my forearm piece, using some cardboard and a boxcutter.

13-Year-Old's Non-toxic Mk VI build

Hopefully this'll change the title.

Anyway, I've got some progress. I've connected the front and back pieces together.

Rule number 1 about building a helmet or any closed off pep part: Always start from the top. towards the end your flaps are going to be really difficult to glue. Just a warning.

Rule number 1 about building a helmet or any closed off pep part: Always start from the top. towards the end your flaps are going to be really difficult to glue. Just a warning.

I'm building it in segments, so I'll build the dome part next, and hopefully I'll be able to glue the flaps.

Also, the title change didn't work...

Also, the title change didn't work...

You'll have to edit post #1 for that. Go advanced. You'll find a title input field.

Regarding the topic: I did this the same way as you, building the bottom first and then trying to attach the two halves of the top to that. It worked, but it would have been easier the other way around.

Looking good, and nice choice on the Pep file for the Mk VI helmet. I used this one, and I think it's one of the best. For both of the helmets I built, I started with the visor, worked my way around to the back, completed the bottom, and finally the top. It was more difficult with the first helmet, but that was a different file. Shouldn't be too bad with this one. Don't forget to add in the Pep visor! Also glad to see you found my cardboard detailing useful. :cool

I've finished the helmet! Whoo! There's some very slight warping on the top middle (one edge is slightly raised), but other than that there is no obvious warping. :)

The visor is just e-taped in and I'll probably remove it once the outer layer of paper mache is done. It's picture time!

Just a quick question since I'm thinking ahead and I'm not able to work on anything right now. I think I'll just use a cut out from a 2L bottle to keep with "low cost" feel of this build. If I'm going to tint it, would this dye work?

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Rit-Denim-Blue-36-Dye-8-fl-oz/11078332

I'm going for a blue visor, but that might be too dark. Anyway, disregarding the color issue, would that dye/any dye work for tinting? I read somewhere that you have to boil the dye-water mixture then keep dipping and rinsing the plastic.

Bump!

I've finished mache-ing some pieces, and I have a shoulder piece halfway done.

Here are my handplates that I added some custom cardboard detailing to. I don't know how many layers I put.
img0272af.jpg

img0273hq.jpg

Here is the right forearm. It has 2 layers of newspaper on the inside, 1 layer on the outside, then a finishing layer of copy paper on the outside.
img0276tp.jpg

img0277su.jpg

I also found this at Target for a dollar. Might be useful for the helmet detailing.
img0275yf.jpg

Heh... I've got a scaling problem. My dad says that the arm pieces aren't proportional. Here's the completed forearm with the semi completed shoulder:

So which piece needs rescaling? Do I need to scale the forearm down, or scale the shoulder up?

shoulder and forearm look to big.

Aww man... Well, the shoulder is scaled at 260 height and the forearm is scaled at 290 height. Do you have a good measurement I should use? I used HaloGoddess's scaling tutorial and just added a few inches because I'm growing.

Edit: Idk, it seems fine to me. And I don't think I can scale the forearm smaller. I had to trim the wrist opening to fit my unusually small hands through.

What do you guys think of the paper mache job?

I HAVE A SOLUTION to the scaling problem! Since my dad says the shoulder is fine, but the forearm is way too buff, and I just tried the chest piece on (by removing the piece in front of the neck) and it's too wide for my shoulders, I have decided to turn this into a Reach build. Since the MkVI Helmet and shoulders are an available permutation in Reach, Those parts are fine. I'll also keep the handplates because they're custom. Since the SPARTAN-III's were less augmented, they are more proportional than the II's and it should solve the scaling issue for me.

Out of the all the pep files in the Official Halo Reach Thread, which artist/author is a good choice for files?

When you go through the Reach files just find what you think you are willing to work for. It is also helpfull to have the game or pics (via internet) for a place to check for details and/or the right pep model to use. I, personally am very picky about what pep file I am going to use, so it makes it harder for me!

Alright, I've finished the front top part of the chest piece by L3X and unfolded by Carpathiavh99. I know the file is missing the under part and ab plate, but I'll scratch build those. Here's pics, did I scale it right?
img0281vs.jpg

img0279d.jpg

Hey your build is looking good so far. As far as the chest plate goes, in my opinion, it looks a little small.

Yeah, that's what I'm thinking... Gawdangit. I'll wait a bit for more people to give their opinion though.

I've finished the neck part, and I can't fit my head through, I think it's too small. Are you supposed to split the armor like the MkVI or just leave it alone?

Eh, I think I'll scratch build the chest part, and pep everything else.

Yea I just looked a couple of Referance pictures and I'd say your chest piece is shy 3-5 inches. It's a pain when you got to repep all that stuff. Similar thing happened to me...Just got to work on the next and see how it goes right? Anyways keep up the good work!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back