First Halo Build! (Foam ODST) (WIP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

SpartanWorkshop

Hello everyone!
I just started my very first Halo costume, that being an ODST and I figured I’d start a build thread to kinda show what I have done so far and to document my progress as I get further into this costume.
Right now I’ve only got the helmet to an almost complete state:
0183A0D3-A7DF-4544-A86D-4F0E320FF09E.jpeg
44317AC4-6873-4AD9-8302-94A3E6AE54AF.jpeg

I made the helmet using the templates from an Etsy seller called MellowMind, though I ended up modifying it bit. The light module on the side was completely freehanded and has three LEDs hooked up to a battery and a switch so I can turn the lights on or off whenever I want.
And I know a lot of the helmet details aren’t exactly accurate to the game models, but with this being my first time trying armor like this, I’m just having fun adding details that I like or think would look cool. Maybe in the future after I get some more experience, I’ll commit and make a more accurate armor set. :p
Well, that’s it for now. I really don’t have much else to show right now. I’m currently working on the chest piece, trying to get the scaling right, so I’ll post that as soon as I get some decent progress on it.

Last edited:
Wow! You did an amazing job, and you said this was your first time?!?!?! Construction, paint, and decals all look great! The only thing I could think that could ever be better are the detail lines on the top, and those are already pretty good. Do you have any plans on weathering it? Cant wait to see the whole build!
Thank you so much!! The way I worded that was kind of misleading, I've been cosplaying for about 3 years, and I've made a few armor sets, but this is my first time mkaing Halo armor, which is by far the most complex armor set I've attempted to make. Also my first time translating Pep files to foam. Yeah, the details lines came out a little sloppy in spots, cause I put those in with a soldering iron. I tried cleaning them up a little, but ended up just rolling with it. :p Yes I do. I'm waiting until I have all/most of the armor built and painted before I weather it, just so all the pieces have a consistent finish. Thanks again!

Rock crushes scissors.

But... paper covers rock... and scissors cuts paper?!

Guys! We have a conundrum.
No no no you have it all wrong its
Scissors cuts Paper, Paper covers Rock, Rock crushes Lizard, Lizard poisons Spock, Spock smashes Scissors, Scissors decapitates Lizard, Lizard eats Paper, Paper disproves Spock, Spock vaporizes Rock and Rock crushes Scissors

Update time! Haven’t had a whole lot of time to work on my armor, but these past weeks I was able to get the chest piece and the shoulders constructed.
DAF65B97-67BA-47D9-AB54-747807E465F3.jpeg
05EB1579-3314-4CBD-9CB3-4AB843B14C5D.jpeg

Eventually imma get some better pictures of the chest, cause that selfie ain’t cutting it.
For the shoulders, I decided to mix things up and put the Commando plate on my left shoulder piece, for no other reason than I thought it would be cool. I know there isn’t many/any ODST that have that, but since I’ve kinda thrown accuracy out the window, I’m just rolling with that and adding my own detailing. I’m really looking forward to gap fill these and get some paint on ‘em!

Damn that looks clean as hell! Super smooth and everything is put together so well. How did you do that?
Thanks man, that’s much appreciated! I just used the ODST foam templates that I got off the Armory here. Going from pep to foam is kinda a hassle, but the end result is always so worth it! One of my favorite features with Armorsmith is the edge angle tool, so I just throw those pieces on my bandsaw with the table set to that angle and boom, I got clean bevels! That and... well, patience. For the shoulders, those are the second time making them, and the same goes the chest.

Thanks man, that’s much appreciated! I just used the ODST foam templates that I got off the Armory here. Going from pep to foam is kinda a hassle, but the end result is always so worth it! One of my favorite features with Armorsmith is the edge angle tool, so I just throw those pieces on my bandsaw with the table set to that angle and boom, I got clean bevels! That and... well, patience. For the shoulders, those are the second time making them, and the same goes the chest.
Oooohh you use a band saw. That's cheating lol. Might have to go invest into a dremel band saw I was looking at now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back