First Pep work, should I start over or is this salvageable?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JuukkaGil

I have started on a Halo Reach Scout helmet. I have had trouble using the hot glue as it has created gaps between the different pieces. Also some of my folds are not as crisp as they should be. I have been scoring but still having a difficult time getting a crisp fold. By looking at the pictures I have attached, (sorry if they are low quality) do you think I should continue pepping or should I scrap this and restart?

IMG_17562.jpg

Note the gaps where the hot glue comes through...

IMG_17531.jpg

See the waving in the back with still more glue coming out

I am new to the forums but I have been browsing for quite some time. I have read a large amount of information provided about pepakura from the forums. I would just like some tips and personal opinion on whether I should restart or continue to use this pep model?

Any help would be appreciated,
Thank you,
Juukka

It depends on what you intend to use this for. I finished my first ever Pep last night on my Mark V helmet and overall it's got dodgy folds, messy glue work and is kind of wonky in some places, but that's alright because I'm using it as a scaled-down version for testing new things on (like hot glue, which I'm now not using, and eventually resin).

So if you're using this as a test to practice resin on and all that stuff before your first actual Pep then I'd say carry on. It doesn't look too bad at all really, and if it is your final version then you could still use it if you wanted.

As I learnt yesterday, Pep work takes a long time, and sometimes eventually amounts to nothing in the end, but if you have the patience to go back and do it all over again you will get better quickly. Speaking of which, I should now get to work on my second attempt at the Mk V...

It doesn't look so bad. You should try tacky glue (very sticky and dry fast white glue) next time. I used this glue for all my pep build.

Yeah, I agree that it looks salvagable. I still don't know what people see in hot glue though; too stringy, hot and the glue gun is too bulky for the smaller parts of peps. White glue all the way!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back