Foam Atrocities

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dirtdives2424

Division Scheduler and Keeper of Con Lists
Member DIN
S2424
So, someone asked if there was a thread that details the things we've had to do to make our suits fit......because we didn't make it the correct the first time........I wonder who that was? I myself have made huge errors in sizing and overall structure and have spliced, sliced, diced and glued many aspects of my suit to make it what it is today. And I'm damn proud of it!!! Here are a few my highlights:

full?d=1486735153.jpg

The anti-bobble head.....I believe that this was attempt # 7....when I gave up.

full?d=1488827920.jpg

Just a comparison between #7 and what I wear now.......

1st Cod attempt
full?d=1488215157.jpg

2nd attempt: Much betterer....
full?d=1489411363.jpg

And last but not least, the chest piece. My exact words were "It looks like I'm wearing a high tech bra on steroids from Playtex."

IMG_0257

I had to splice in pieces around the armholes top and bottom and along the neckline because it in no way looked like Centurion armor. And once that was done, the booster lights were too low to be seen so they also had to be removed and raised up higher.
full?d=1491571755.jpg

Sorry for it being sideways. This was mid remake.

full?d=1491571755.jpg

But a definite improvement.
full?d=1491833238.jpg

And of course what I have now: and yes....that girl is checking me out ;)

PHOTO-2019-11-18-23-40-30 (4).jpg

That's it for now. I'm emotionally drained from dredging up these memories.....atrocities..........I haven't been working with foam for very long.....but I have learned so much from the wackos great bunch of people here. And I look forward to many more builds to laugh/post about.

Next?

Last edited:
Hello, I'm TurboCharizard and I have committed foam atrocities.

I blame some of these choices on inexperience and basically just saying "heck it, I want to be an ODST". They are not pretty, I have definitely learned from these mistakes but I pushed through, got the suit done and then decided to make a handful of others.

This was before I bought a sharpener for my knife and just used snap off blades until they started snagging and until a little bit after because cosplay is expensive and when you start from absolute zero saving $10 seems awesome.
45663303_196377727945791_4745454497143193600_n.jpg

Also what the heck is edge filling? Just pour more hot glue in? Neat. I now use a sharp knife and a practiced hand to make sure seams line up and if they don't, that's when sanding and foam clay comes in.
45573655_2059118177444007_6582671936768180224_n.jpg

6mm foam, great for armour, not great for narrow swords. I finished this one and then it went to live on a wall because it was far too wobbly even with a support rod.
DSC_0521.JPG

Now I just hide bad seams under sanding and details ;)
DSC_0045.JPG

I wonder who would ask for such an emotionally draining thread....
Hey y'all I'm ZettaiKagerou and I've committed foam atrocities. I know I posted about Build 2.0 into 2.5 but I don't mention build 1.0 because it was completely scrapped other than like 2 things. Only tumblr has seen these foam sins....you've been warned.
WP_20140522_17_48_57_Pro.jpgWP_20140522_17_49_14_Pro.jpgWP_20140528_21_02_23_Pro.jpgWP_20140528_21_03_35_Pro (2).jpg
I, for some reason beyond me, thought the master chief armor would fit me, and after building almost everything realized it wouldn't. You can see gaps that were never filled in on the last picture and hot glue really doing the most to keep it together. Most of the pieces we're beveled either. I don't have pictures of it but I also sawed my original helmet in half and removed excess foam to downsize it because I didn't scale anything. Nothing was primed before painting and while it looked okay it chipped everywhere, 5 years later the clothes I used for under the armor still have spray paint on them.

While it sounds bad...I love this thread! I was heavily discouraged when I was first building my original suit and kept going out of spite, and for only having 2 1/2 months to complete it. it was a pretty good job. I learned a lot and I'm excited to put what I learned through error to use on this current build. While it does drain me to look at these photos of build 1.0...I hope it encourages others to not give up and keep pushing forward on their build. Love your mistakes they got you here!

While it sounds bad...I love this thread! I was heavily discouraged when I was first building my original suit and kept going out of spite, and for only having 2 1/2 months to complete it. it was a pretty good job. I learned a lot and I'm excited to put what I learned through error to use on this current build. While it does drain me to look at these photos of build 1.0...I hope it encourages others to not give up and keep pushing forward on their build. Love your mistakes they got you here!
I'm all about this thread because it shows that everyone progresses in their craft in some way. Build threads often show that shiny examples of good building and practice, this thread is for the opposite to show that we're all human.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back