Status
Not open for further replies.
If you are using the foam mats, they usually come in 1/2 inch thickness. At this thickness, it allows for you to manipulate it and keep the structural integrity of the piece. Anything thinner, and it would be too flimsy.

Thanks for making this, I just have one question. Whats a good thickness of foam to use for a set of ODST armor?

Most parts 10mm foam rolls or 1/2" mats. For mine the inner chest/back plate is made of 6mm with 10mm for the shoulder straps because 10mm restricted movement too much. You can always mix and match.

Not specific to the ODST armor, but I'd recommend something more along the lines of What the Foam if building a thinner part that needs strength (Voltron Paladin comes to mind). I was skeptical at first, but because it's a combined thermoplastic and foam even thinner sheets have really good strength and keep their shape. It was also pleasant to work with and I liked that the different thicknesses are different colors making it even easier to quickly grab the right thickness. Biggest downside is the size of the sheets as that brand currently only sells in 12" x 18" sheets that come in packs of 6.

I'm trying to start off my first set of armor and planning to use foam. I can't afford the more expensive stuff, but I'd still like a fair amount of rigidity. I have lots of cardboard lying around at home, could that be glued/adhered to the inside of the armor as a sort of endoskeleton?

I'm trying to start off my first set of armor and planning to use foam. I can't afford the more expensive stuff, but I'd still like a fair amount of rigidity. I have lots of cardboard lying around at home, could that be glued/adhered to the inside of the armor as a sort of endoskeleton?

You might be surprised at how rigid the 10-12mm floor mats can be once assembled. Applying shoe goo to the seams on the inside adds a bit of durability/rigidness. When it comes to weapons, they're typically built in layers which makes them quite solid. Cardboard itself isn't all that rigid either, I'm not sure how useful it would actually be in practice.

RSTheSpartanII I mean, even the low density stuff isn't "floppy" to wear. Some of the best armor around has been made with the cheapo floor tiles. I don't think cardboard would be a necessary step. If for some reason you decide you want it more rigid, you can always line the inside of the armor with shoe goo and that makes it both SUPER tough, and very firm.

RSTheSpartanII I mean, even the low density stuff isn't "floppy" to wear. Some of the best armor around has been made with the cheapo floor tiles. I don't think cardboard would be a necessary step. If for some reason you decide you want it more rigid, you can always line the inside of the armor with shoe goo and that makes it both SUPER tough, and very firm.

I've been reading through forums cause I'm new. So if apply shoo goo to the inner seams of my foam will I be able to put my weight on my armor without it breaking/losing it's shape?

I've been reading through forums cause I'm new. So if apply shoo goo to the inner seams of my foam will I be able to put my weight on my armor without it breaking/losing it's shape?
If by "put weight on it" you mean e.g. put a forearm piece on the ground and stand on it... then probably not. I don't think you'll ever be able to do that with any of the build methods unless you make it out of metal. If that's not what you mean, then idk what you're asking.
With my armor though, I'm confident that if I fall over while wearing my it nothing will break.

If by "put weight on it" you mean e.g. put a forearm piece on the ground and stand on it... then probably not. I don't think you'll ever be able to do that unless you make it out of metal. If that's not what you mean, then idk what you're asking.

Oh, pfft, no. I mean will I be able to get on my knee, lean against a wall, etc. stuff like that.

Not quite sure where to ask so I'll ask here.
I wanna make a CQC helmet out of foam, and I downloaded the the one I found here, but its a 3d model and not a cutting template. Is there any way to get a normal 2d template?

Not quite sure where to ask so I'll ask here.
I wanna make a CQC helmet out of foam, and I downloaded the the one I found here, but its a 3d model and not a cutting template. Is there any way to get a normal 2d template?
Doing a quick search of the Armory for CQC I came across this set Halo: Reach - MJOLNIR Mark V - CQC 1.3
You can see there that it has game models as well as a pepakura unfold for the helmet. To convert it for foam you'll have to determine what pieces you don't need and just drag them off to the side so they don't print. For starters anything that's there to add depth that you get from the thickness of your foam.

On an unrelated note, Blick has added a Cosplay Starter Bundle of SKS HD Foam to their products it's US $38.67 for 1 each 24" x 60" roll of 2mm, 6mm, and 10mm foam. Only a savings of $4.30 vs buying each individually, but if you find yourself in the market for all 3 types of foam save a little bit of money getting the bundle.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back