Goblin Slayer, MK I

Status
Not open for further replies.

OTSDerpy

Okay, so now that I got the "MK III" suite for the ODST out of the way, time to get a new Cosplay fix. And this time I'm aim for something a little out of my comfort zone, but striding closer to my "Cosplay Goal." This time, I'm tackling the Silver-Ranked Adventurer known as Goblin Slayer, from Goblin Slayer.

Alright, so to start off, I found this real neat program called "Armorsmith Designer" and it works like Pepakura, but WAY more advanced. it helped me lot with my second prototype right here. Not only that, but it also has a...."Hashmark"....?...toggle that can be applied to the pieces!
01.jpg 02.jpg

After that was completed, I built the rest of the helmet with these real thick gym floor mats that cost around $15 at Walmart, but found a cheaper set that was around $8 at Harbor Freight. I then had to stack 3 thick foam pieces on top of one another to get the broken horn thing he has on the sides. As for the Pink foam, that was with, I believe, 3mm foam that was superglued on.
06.jpg 07.jpg 08.jpg 09.jpg 10.jpg

Now it came to the process of caulking/sanding it. after that I used a woodburning tool to add all the battle damage that this helmet might've been through. It was also my first time experimenting with such a technique that I would later find other uses for it on other suites to signify bullet holes or plasma burns. I was so surprised how easy it melted the foam that it also help me "Sculpt" the bone details on the sides as well.
19.jpg 20.jpg 21.jpg 22.jpg

Oh yeah, cardboard is a thing, use them for your templates to test fit before putting them onto your foam and making it law. I did this with my Goblin Slayer torso and feel as though it is a tad small. Gonna keep it for comparison on second attempt.
23.jpg

And now you're caught up to speed. Will all keep you posted as time goes on.

Last edited:
Okay, after 3 attempts, I got the sizes I wanted, but now I feel like the shorter one might be the best, only because the tall one has that point at the bottom. If that was shaved, then I think the tall one work. Do you think the 3rd is a bit too tall?
IMG_20200402_220947511.jpg IMG_20200402_221340743.jpg IMG_20200402_221359373.jpg

So I tested out a theory and wanted to try it out. And so far, I FEEL like I gotta share it:

If any of you wanted to make some belts on your cosplay, but have "little-to-no" experience with leather working or funds, than this is a cheap solution. With some 5mm foam, wool knitting yarn, and a thick needle, you can make something that looks like a belt. And if your skilled enough, maybe something else that is supposed to be made of leather. To make the holes, I just use a fork with 3 points. Gonna use this on my Goblin Slayer armor after more testing. They never teach you things like this in the books, and very little are shown on YouTube.
received_1548201418678159.jpeg

So I tested out a theory and wanted to try it out. And so far, I FEEL like I gotta share it:

If any of you wanted to make some belts on your cosplay, but have "little-to-no" experience with leather working or funds, than this is a cheap solution. With some 5mm foam, wool knitting yarn, and a thick needle, you can make something that looks like a belt. And if your skilled enough, maybe something else that is supposed to be made of leather. To make the holes, I just use a fork with 3 points. Gonna use this on my Goblin Slayer armor after more testing. They never teach you things like this in the books, and very little are shown on YouTube.
View attachment 287842
book marking, because this is genious and cost effective!

When I did fake leather for my God of War cosplay, I followed this video, and this thread from theRPF (pic heavy so I'll drop the link and the direct image):

FORUM LINK:
Alphonse Elric armor (FULLMETAL ALCHEMIST -manga) build by castpixel - New Photos

upload_2019-4-24_10-17-6-png.png

Just in case they are of use to you. Keep up the great work D!

EDIT: One thing I found was that it helped to have my foam warm before I applied the foil. And be prepared to redo sections/ get new foil. Mine seemed to be useless after a go or two with the iron. But it made the foam look so much better.

When I did fake leather for my God of War cosplay, I followed this video, and this thread from theRPF (pic heavy so I'll drop the link and the direct image):

FORUM LINK:
Alphonse Elric armor (FULLMETAL ALCHEMIST -manga) build by castpixel - New Photos

View attachment 287843

Just in case they are of use to you. Keep up the great work D!

EDIT: One thing I found was that it helped to have my foam warm before I applied the foil. And be prepared to redo sections/ get new foil. Mine seemed to be useless after a go or two with the iron. But it made the foam look so much better.

I didn't know about the video. But it dose go a bit more in depth with the EVA Leather. Thanks for posting that!

Love this series and love the work! Definitely watching and bookmarked that info about the leather as well! Thanks!

Okay, got the back piece done, but I think it may be a bit small. Probably need to enlarge the width of it a bit. But can't necessarily do much w/out having the shoulders done. So as soon as I do that, I'll adjust the back to compensate for mobility.
IMG_20200409_175520525.jpg IMG_20200409_181101159.jpg IMG_20200409_204800684.jpg

Got the shoulders done gonna try and extend the bottom part maybe a little, as well get rid of that pointed piece as well. Just enough to cover about a little under 1/4 of my bicep.
Goblin_Slayer-1_800x.jpg x_gsc94118_1_.jpg

Gonna think about cutting this into 5mm foam due to the lips and what-not, see how that goes.
IMG_20200410_174208086.jpg IMG_20200410_174150653.jpg IMG_20200410_174303567.jpg

A question. Are you going to place some sort of breathable mesh to block your face so you can see?
Yes...though, I haven't gotten that far. So I'm a bit unaware of where to get this mesh. But I'm putting that scavenger hunt on the back burner until I get the rest of the armor and straps done.

Yes...though, I haven't gotten that far. So I'm a bit unaware of where to get this mesh. But I'm putting that scavenger hunt on the back burner until I get the rest of the armor and straps done.

I would have recommended going to your local arts arts & crafts store and browsing their selection of fabrics, but quarantine makes that rather unlikely.

A few layers of window screen might do the trick..

Okay, got some progress done for "Vambrace Prototype V.01." The Vambrace has the individual segments covered in " Velcro A" therefore, giving more maneuverability and placement for "Velcro B". I'm gonna put some 3mm foam on one of the "X" strips, give off the illusion of one overlapping the other on the final product. Just need to refine the strap thickness, placement, and Velcro pieces.
IMG_20200501_215521465.jpg IMG_20200501_215525015.jpg IMG_20200501_215551397.jpg

Okay, this has been TOO long, but the virus kinda screwed my plans for getting foam, not to mention I'm getting back to work, so building and postings will take longer. As for progress, here we go.

As you saw, "V.01" was a good trial run. The Velcro inside could be used to fill 1.5 armor segments at the least, adding more would just make the piece have more strength in stiffness. What I did was that I remade the straps, took the distance between the two and made one big piece.
IMG_20200507_221133721.jpg IMG_20200508_203709961.jpg

Then glued Velcro B onto the corners that would be touching the top. Then it was a matter of connecting the dots of making it look like the straps intersected, and adding 2mm foam to add depth.
IMG_20200508_205636596.jpg IMG_20200508_211543105.jpg

Not a bad first test piece.
IMG_20200508_211434597.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back