Halo 3 Armor Build

Discussion in 'New Recruits' started by Sp00kyN1njas, Apr 10, 2018.

1. Sp00kyN1njas

Sp00kyN1njas New Member

Hello!

It’s been a long time since I made any builds, aside from an old Artorias build back in high school and a freehand Halo costume that I made after graduation.
    So, I figured that since summer break from college is coming up in a few weeks, I’d try my hand at a Halo armor build, this time using Pepakura.

So, I’ve decided that I’ll be building a set of Halo 3 Armor, with custom parts based off my own multiplayer character. They’ll be:
    .Mk. V Helmet
    .Recon Chest
    .E.V.A Shoulders

Next step is to get the files and scale everything, which shouldn’t be too difficult.

I intend to get started once I fly back home, which is late April. I hope to have progress images by that time or early May by the latest, but we’ll see.
    The plan is to build everything with cardstock, then add resin, fiberglass and Bondo. Then the weathering and painting as well.

Looking forward to getting started!

EDIT:
    So, you may have noticed that the thread had suddenly jumped from a Halo 5 build to a Halo 3 build.
    My original intent was to build the Helljumper armor from Halo 5. However, I realized a little while ago that there are some design problems with the actual layout of the armor.
    For starters, the way then shoulders are built makes them so large that the act of raising my arms laterally becomes nearly impossible, as they appear to grind into the chest piece. Theoretically, this could also impede forward movement of the arms, making it hard to carry prop weapons.
    In order for me to have even limited range of motion, I’d need to cut them down fairly significantly, and if I try to build them as described, the slightest error could potentially mean rebuilding.
    Since this is my first ever Pepakura Project, I think it would be better served if I started with something more familiar to me, which Halo 3 armors are.
    There are other areas on the armor that have a similar issue, and challenges with the exposed undersuit areas.
    In summary, despite my eagerness to build it, my lack of time and experience through a Warthog sized wrench in the works.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2018
  2. PaiganBoi

PaiganBoi

Good luck on the build. I am excited to see your progression on this build.

Dirtdives likes this.
  3. Benton188

Benton188

Yes it is definitely easier to start with something simple than hard for your first venture. Halo 5 suits can be very detailed and take a loooong time especially if you're doing it with pepakura.

Dirtdives likes this.
  4. Sp00kyN1njas

Sp00kyN1njas New Member

Oh definitely, and to think that I thought a 500+ piece chestpiece would be a good idea at first :rolleyes:

But I like the files for 3; challenging but also beginner friendly

5. Sp00kyN1njas

Sp00kyN1njas New Member

Quick Update:

I’ve gotten all the needed Pepakura files scaled, and I’ve cross referenced the measurements with myself. They all seem to work out, so I hopefully won’t have any sizing issues.

Unfortunately, I only found one file for the Mark V Helmet, which is a little over 200 pieces. That’s a bit out of my comfort zone, especially for a piece as iconic as the helmet, so I switched to the Mark VI Helmet. All other pieces (the E.V.A shoulders and Recon chest) are still being used as planned.

I also got ahold of a foam schematic for the Halo 3 Assault Rifle, which I’ll build only after the armor itself is complete, if I have time. If I run out of time, I have a BoomCo plasma pistol I can substitute with instead.

Finals week is almost over at school, and I head back home at the end of this week. I’m hoping to get started and get some progress pictures up by next week, but we’ll see.

Dirtdives likes this.
  6. PerniciousDuke

PerniciousDuke RXO 405th Regiment Officer

TurboCharizard and Dirtdives like this.
  7. PerniciousDuke

PerniciousDuke RXO 405th Regiment Officer

TurboCharizard and Hein B107 like this.
  8. Sp00kyN1njas

Sp00kyN1njas New Member

Thanks!
    I finally was able to get started, but I ended up keeping the VI Helmet over the V
    But thank you for finding it! I have a friend who’s considering a Halo CE build so I’ll pass it along

9. Sp00kyN1njas

Sp00kyN1njas New Member

So I was finally able to get started!

And I’ve already hit a snag, so to speak. I had all the files printed to card stock, and I decided to begin with the forearms first. Almost immediately I realized that the wrist opening is an inch and a half too small to fit, and trimming it to fit would involve cutting into the bulk of the arm. So, I’ll have to re scale and re print later on.

I moved on to the shins, which I was a bit worried about fitting since I had to make a revision the day before. So far, I’m not having any issues. The opening fits with some room to spare, and isn't too tight.

I did decide to trim the backing at the area behind the knee, just to give myself a little more space for my leg to move while walking. Before I build the bottom section and close it up, I’ll need to test the ankle opening too.
    When it comes to strapping, I’m definitely going to have to split the piece either down the rear middle or at the sides. I won’t be able to slide my foot through it, so I’ll have to research some strapping ideas for it.

My intent is to build the shins a bit on the shorter side, leaving some extra space between the boot and the lower shin. Mainly inorder to give my feet a little more mobility. Plus, since I have large feet, the boots are going to be a bit bigger than average, and I don’t want to make it so walking around becomes difficult. Similar to the image below

So far, my plan is to build one of each piece, starting with the openings (ex: bicep opening, wrist, thigh above knee, etc) so I can figure out which pieces need to be rescaled, if any. Once I wrap up the first shin, I’ll do either the thigh or boot next, and move up from there.

CollinMcCaf and Lieutenant Jaku like this.
  10. Sp00kyN1njas

Sp00kyN1njas New Member

More progress!

I completed the right thigh piece, and test fitted it too. My measurements were good, and it fits perfectly, whether my leg is straight or bent.
    I also finished the shin piece from earlier, with no issues. I still can’t test fit it yet due to my foot being to big to slide through, but when comparing the measurement of the lower opening to my ankle, there’s plenty of room,

I also planned to start building the boot, which I partially completed. The toe section is built and reinforced with popsicle sticks to keep it from warping.
    I didn't build the back boot section yet, in part because I’m not sure how to set it up. The boot file I’m using is one complete piece, and in order to allow enough room for my foot to flex, I’ll need to take out the middle section. I just haven’t decided if I should do the before or after the hardening process.

I moved on for the time being and decided to build the codpiece. It took me a lot shorter than I originally expected, and it fits perfectly. Luckily I caught a measurement error before I started constructing it, so I was able to reprint and save myself some time.
    There’s about a centimeter or two of extra space in the belt section, but it’s nothing that can’t be fixed with padding in the later stages.

Up next, I’m probably going to build the adjacent shin and thigh piece, before moving on to the forearms and shoulders. I still plan on saving the helmet towards the end, but I also might do the boots last so I have more time to plan them out.

Lieutenant Jaku and CollinMcCaf like this.
  11. CollinMcCaf

CollinMcCaf New Member

The recon chest has to be my all-time favorite. I can't wait to see how that turns out.

12. Sp00kyN1njas

Sp00kyN1njas New Member

Same here, I had that piece on my character since the day got it. Nothing else compares :D