Status
Not open for further replies.

LokiDoki

Hello everyone! this is my first post here as a member of the 405th, I've also just started my first halo cosplay, the meta from RVB. and I've hit a dead end in terms of visors, there is only 1 visor up on Etsy for sale but don't know if it will fit my helmet, I was hoping some of you might have other solutions or know of people that make the visors? I've searched all over the 405th as well as google for a visor but have gotten nothing so far, would be greatly appreciated if anyone could help!

Your best bet might be to make your own, and there are several different ways to go about that. To start with, how are you making your armor? Do you have any major limitations such as materials or budget? What kind of quality are you looking for?

Your best bet might be to make your own, and there are several different ways to go about that. To start with, how are you making your armor? Do you have any major limitations such as materials or budget? What kind of quality are you looking for?
my armour is 3d printed, as for budget, i could do maybe $200? and I'd like to get the best quality I can

Welcome to the 405th LokiDoki! There are a few members here who sell visors, although I'm not sure who sells what type. A common method of making them is with vacuforming. If you don't have a vacuformer, you can build one yourself - Punished Props has a video on how to build a large scale one but you can always make it smaller. What vacuforming will allow you to do is make a buck of the visor (you can print it) then heat up a sheet of plastic and "suck" it over a buck, forming that shape from plastic. From there you can dye it.
Another option which people have done on a stricter budget is make the visor from cut and stuck together sheets of plastic. I haven't actually made a visor so I'm sure others can be of more help.

I also look forward to seeing the build thread of the Meta!

Welcome to the 405th LokiDoki! There are a few members here who sell visors, although I'm not sure who sells what type. A common method of making them is with vacuforming. If you don't have a vacuformer, you can build one yourself - Punished Props has a video on how to build a large scale one but you can always make it smaller. What vacuforming will allow you to do is make a buck of the visor (you can print it) then heat up a sheet of plastic and "suck" it over a buck, forming that shape from plastic. From there you can dye it.
Another option which people have done on a stricter budget is make the visor from cut and stuck together sheets of plastic. I haven't actually made a visor so I'm sure others can be of more help.

I also look forward to seeing the build thread of the Meta!
I did have a quick look at vac forming, seems a bit technical and challenging, I'll do more research on it but if I get too stuck I may come back to meta and make Jerome's mark IV from halo wars for my first armour build, thank you for the suggestion!

I'm currently plotting an ODST build (also 3D print) and I'm going to cast the visor in resin I think. Vac forming really isn't difficult, but it's kinda a specialized process so it doesn't have a lot of appeal to me. Anyways, I'm planning on printing the visor and using the print to make the mold for the resin cast. I'll be able to test fit with the print, and I'll need resin for other parts of the project anyways, so win/win for me. The EVA helmet visor is a lot larger than the ODST visor though, so their might be issues I'm not aware of.

I'm currently plotting an ODST build (also 3D print) and I'm going to cast the visor in resin I think. Vac forming really isn't difficult, but it's kinda a specialized process so it doesn't have a lot of appeal to me. Anyways, I'm planning on printing the visor and using the print to make the mold for the resin cast. I'll be able to test fit with the print, and I'll need resin for other parts of the project anyways, so win/win for me. The EVA helmet visor is a lot larger than the ODST visor though, so their might be issues I'm not aware of.
I never even thought of resin cast, it would probably be a lot more difficult with the eva visor though, I'll look into it, thank you for the suggestion and good luck with your armour!

Interesting idea! Are you worried about the resin being to heavy or brittle?

I did have a quick look at vac forming, seems a bit technical and challenging, I'll do more research on it but if I get too stuck I may come back to meta and make Jerome's mark IV from halo wars for my first armour build, thank you for the suggestion!
Honestly if you have access to a 3D printer the difficult and expensive part of vacuum forming is already done. The rest can be done with scrap wood and cheap things you can reliably find at a thrift store for a couple bucks.

Interesting idea! Are you worried about the resin being to heavy or brittle?
I wasn't! I think it will be fine, and if not I can always go the vac table route. The file I have for the ODST helmet actually comes with files for doing resin visors, and I've seen examples of successful pours. Check out this post in the marketplace for an idea of what I'm talking about.

It's one thing to cast opaque resin parts, helmets, or greeblies without too much issue, but casting a Transparent or Tinted transparent visor in Resin is going to be tricky. Any issue with bubbles are going to super noticeable, and any settling is going to cause a wavy, distorted view that will be a major headache. More than likely you will need a pressure pot resin casting system to ensure consistent quality for a Transparent resin pieces.

Honestly if you have access to a 3D printer the difficult and expensive part of vacuum forming is already done. The rest can be done with scrap wood and cheap things you can reliably find at a thrift store for a couple bucks.
Thank you very much for inserting the thread, I may not have to come back to meta if this works!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back