Props Halo 4 Battle Rifle Foam build (SCRATCH and pic heavy!!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

brokenvisr

Jr Member
Hello 405th! This is my very first weapon build and my very first foam build ever! I am very pleased with it! I'm also doing this completely from scratch and only using a paper template that I had whipped out in a couple of minutes. I've been working on it for about a week now, so heres its progress from stage one!
YAY PICTURES!!
11snvoo.jpg

9a1bvr.jpg

10eg9zl.jpg

2h5mp9j.jpg

343tffn.jpg

And this is where it is as of right now!
fvtbc.jpg

kdsieo.jpg

I plan on putting a few coats of Plasti-Dip on top of the foam and potentially fiber glassing it so that its stronger and more rigid.

Brokenvisr,
This is great scratch build work, it really does have a nice shape. If you hit one of the craft outlets, you can buy a hot wire cutter for foam. Using this and a couple of straight metal guides, you can cut perfect bevels to take this thing to the next level. You've put a lot of time into the details, but will lose a lot of them by adding Plasti-Dip or fiberglass to the outside. Consider using this as a master for a mold when you have it finished rather than trying to make the foam strong enough to take abuse. Yes, I realize that will multiply your cost and time, but you will see the payout in strength and detail.

Redshirt

This looks great man, one thing I would recommend, a sharp blade every 160 cuts. Now I know you wont be counting, but if you were bore, try it. It works for me.

This looks great man, one thing I would recommend, a sharp blade every 160 cuts. Now I know you wont be counting, but if you were bore, try it. It works for me.

I havent had any issues with blade sharpness thus far... only problem is blade length and trying to split bigger pieces vertically.

Brokenvisr,
This is great scratch build work, it really does have a nice shape. If you hit one of the craft outlets, you can buy a hot wire cutter for foam. Using this and a couple of straight metal guides, you can cut perfect bevels to take this thing to the next level. You've put a lot of time into the details, but will lose a lot of them by adding Plasti-Dip or fiberglass to the outside. Consider using this as a master for a mold when you have it finished rather than trying to make the foam strong enough to take abuse. Yes, I realize that will multiply your cost and time, but you will see the payout in strength and detail.

Redshirt

Thanks a bunch Redshirt! I actually have plans to go to one of our local craft stores. I already checked by Micheal's for one but I didnt have any luck, apparently they dont carry them where I live. I am definitely looking around for one though! I was also thinking of just scratching fiberglassing it all together. I'm an extreme noob when it comes to molding and casting as well, not really sure where I would start. Only thing that I know is that there are some casting kits you can get, but I'm unsure if they would be able to cast an entire battle rifle, haha.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back