Status
Not open for further replies.

PlanetAlexander

RMO
405th Regiment Officer
Member DIN
S018
Hey 405th, posting here instead of the RPF to show the development of my Halo Combat Evolved Marine cosplay. I'm using this EXTREMELY helpful thread for nearly all my references (thank you Jubal for all the shots!). So far I've done the bulk of the helmet, done the shoulders and now working on the chest. Here is a shot of the helmet (some work has been done since then but I haven't had time to take pictures):

I'm using some of these Pepakura templates as a base, then I've slightly modified them and created my own templates for some parts. Hopefully tomorrow I'll be able to share a new progress shot!

With this cosplay, I'll be making an assult rifle and also use the magnum pistol I have already made (shown below).

If you're interested, more of my work can be seen on my Instagram or on my site.

Last edited:
This is great! I wanted/want to do a CE Marine so bad, it's what got me interested in Halo Cosplay and the 405th a few years ago. Good luck! I'm really looking forward to seeing what you come up with and observing your progress. Keep it up! I'll definitely watch this thread.

Thanks! Since a kid it was my dream to go as Masterchief for Halloween one year, but I think now I'd go for a less common (though still recognisable) spartan. This Marine will be great practice to one day in the future create a spartan cosplay (this is my first armour build).

Alright, so here is update #1!
This is the helmet (duh), with a little bit added here and there. Building's a bit slow, because even though there's not much detail, there is a lot of pattern making, which I have never done much of except for props. Photo's aren't the best quality because the compact flash on my good camera isn't working.

Since the last photo, I've filled in the holes on the sides, bulked up the back a bit more, added the tapered front pieces (and created details for it but then removed it to start over), created the underneath of the visor and done a bit of seam cleaning. As I think I said, this is based of a pepakura pattern, but I slightly modified the pattern to make the helmet more narrow.

I modified the pattern at the back, which has helped to squeeze the helmet together but also created a nearly right angle towards the back. I am working on carving and sanding it to make it rounder.

I have also created patterns and cut out the shoulder parts, as well as heat shaped them.

At the moment I am working on modifying the pepakura pattern on the chest, as it was too small for me (I wish I could say it's because my pecs are too big).

At the time of writing, it's ANZAC day in Australia/New Zealand, and I've been thinking for a while of adding a digger emblem somewhere on the armour. Just thought I'd show some pride of my country, and of course there are definitely Aussie marines in the game (but no, we don't all talk like that!).

PS. Caleb, I saw that the thread I linked was one you tried to raise 11 years from the dead. You really are determined! I hope what I share will help you and others.

Very cool work! Will be great to see another Aussie marine amongst the rest of us! :D

Do you plan on taking it to any cons upcoming? The Australian Regiment will likely be having a big Halo meet at PAXAUS (10th anniversary of Halo 3: ODST), and would be cool to have you there with us!

I also thought I'd throw these your way - might help with inspiration :) keep up the work!

abimael-salazar-1.jpgabimael-salazar-2.jpgabimael-salazar-3.jpgabimael-salazar-5.jpgabimael-salazar-6.jpgabimael-salazar-helmetex.jpg

Cheers! I would take it to a PAX convention, but I'm up in Queensland, so that's too far away for me (at the moment - I hope to travel to many cons in the future!). I'll hopefully have it ready for Brisbane Comic Con and also take it to Brisbane Supa Nova, even enter the competitions. Love to see some pictures of the meetup though!
Those pictures look great. Although the design differs slightly, I'm sure there are some parts I'll be able to adapt, so thanks.
By the way, if ya'll are interested in what else I'm doing/done, my Instagram is @planetalexanderprojects and my site is planetalexanderprojects.com (shameless self promo complete).

I haven't done too much work since the last update, but hopefully I'll post something soon. Lots of template creating and I ran out of foam, so I'm waiting for an order to arrive before I can assemble the chest piece. I have a few questions which would be great if you guys could help out with:

1. How much work into detail, including cleaning and smoothing edges, should I be putting into this? I usually try to focus a lot on keeping things very clean (except for obvious things, such as battle damage), but I'm not sure if it's a waste of time to be so persistant on making all the details perfect for a project of this scale. Also, how much detail (including crevasses and rough spots) does Plastidip fill in?
2. Any tips for helping to make the helmet more round, instead of a blocky sort of look? I did heat form it before gluing, but perhaps not enough.
3. Does anyone happen to know a high quality video of mission 343 Guilty Spark, where Master Chief picks up Jenkin's helmet? I'm looking to use the helmet for references, and hopefully get an image of the chip he pulls out.

Cheers guys!

Hi Entity, which part of the build is the suggestion for? Sounds interesting, I'm just not sure how you reccomend I use it.

I am planning to use a green transparent acrylic piece and hopefully use my old school's laser cutter to engrave some details, then light it up with an LED. But hey, if for whatever reason that doesn't work, I like your thinking, so thanks!

Looking great PlanetAlexander

While it's not exactly the same I thought you might like to know that some of us are going to be starting a Halo Reach Army BDU. It is not exactly the same as Halo:CE, but they are almost identical to Halo:CE Anniversary.

In any case your build is looking great!

OK, so finally got a photo of progress on the armour. Not much, but I'm short on time right now (sorry if things don't make sense, I'm rushing typing this right now). What I'm doing with the armour is what in level design is called "blocking it out"; making the bulk of it first, then constantly refining it for the details.

Yea, I'm making all of this on my bedroom floor, where everything else is made. My room is a huge mess. If you want any help on how to make props/cosplay in a small space like a bedroom, ask away!

Let's start with the helmet: I think the biggest thing is I've put a thick metal wire in the front of the helmet, which will allow me to shape the front better. I epoxied the ends so they would not tear the foam, and super glued the wire in (which I will probably need to attach stronger in the future). When the shape is right, I will fix the bottom of the visor and cover the bottom of the panel which wraps around the sides. I've also added the details to the front, and started to fill in seams with foam clay. Works pretty well, actually!

I had to wait a while (lots of public holidays) to get a bulk order of foam from my supplier, the Hero Studio, but when it came it was time to knuckle down! I had made the pattern of the chest but then modified it as the angles were too exaggerated. What's above is the final shape, although I'm not too sure if it's too wide. Fits strangely well though.

The forearm bracers took me quite a while to pattern. It took me three different methods just to get the basic shape of the pattern, then I added details (such as the buckles, front curve out and elbow cover) as I constantly refined the method. I was hoping to have a completed bracer by the time I posted this update, but alas, that's all I've managed so far.

Guess that's all for the moment! After I finish the bracers, I'll probably work on the back pack and all the belt parts.

OK, so finally got a photo of progress on the armour. Not much, but I'm short on time right now (sorry if things don't make sense, I'm rushing typing this right now). What I'm doing with the armour is what in level design is called "blocking it out"; making the bulk of it first, then constantly refining it for the details.
View attachment 269386
Yea, I'm making all of this on my bedroom floor, where everything else is made. My room is a huge mess. If you want any help on how to make props/cosplay in a small space like a bedroom, ask away!

Let's start with the helmet: I think the biggest thing is I've put a thick metal wire in the front of the helmet, which will allow me to shape the front better. I epoxied the ends so they would not tear the foam, and super glued the wire in (which I will probably need to attach stronger in the future). When the shape is right, I will fix the bottom of the visor and cover the bottom of the panel which wraps around the sides. I've also added the details to the front, and started to fill in seams with foam clay. Works pretty well, actually!

I had to wait a while (lots of public holidays) to get a bulk order of foam from my supplier, the Hero Studio, but when it came it was time to knuckle down! I had made the pattern of the chest but then modified it as the angles were too exaggerated. What's above is the final shape, although I'm not too sure if it's too wide. Fits strangely well though.

The forearm bracers took me quite a while to pattern. It took me three different methods just to get the basic shape of the pattern, then I added details (such as the buckles, front curve out and elbow cover) as I constantly refined the method. I was hoping to have a completed bracer by the time I posted this update, but alas, that's all I've managed so far.

Guess that's all for the moment! After I finish the bracers, I'll probably work on the back pack and all the belt parts.
Awesome! I find that bulking it down can make it harder to finish in some places and makes you lose detail, but that's just me. It's coming out great! As for the wire in the helmet, is that because the foam doesnt want to sit in the right position? If you use a heatgun(or something of the sort) it will make the foam soft to where you can bend it, and when it cools it will keep its shape...

xXDashIVXx Thanks! I know why you say you can lose detail, because it can be hard to do certain things when it's assembled. Fortunately, the armour isn't heavily detailed, so I hope I won't have any issues. As for the helmet, I've tried heat shaping it, but it wouldn't hold its shape very well, thus I'm using the wire.

xXDashIVXx Thanks! I know why you say you can lose detail, because it can be hard to do certain things when it's assembled. Fortunately, the armour isn't heavily detailed, so I hope I won't have any issues. As for the helmet, I've tried heat shaping it, but it wouldn't hold its shape very well, thus I'm using the wire.
Aluminum flashing or armature wire are both awesome for very thin structures that need a specific curvature. I used to use wire coat hangers but most of them have disappeared from the house for some reason and they aren't that common in stores anymore.

TurboCharizard Ha ha! Coat hangers, didn't think of that - thanks for the tip. I don't know if armature wire is a thing here in Australia (couldn't find anything when I looked for it), so that's why I got the metal wire. Not as good, but it should work.

TurboCharizard Ha ha! Coat hangers, didn't think of that - thanks for the tip. I don't know if armature wire is a thing here in Australia (couldn't find anything when I looked for it), so that's why I got the metal wire. Not as good, but it should work.
Check out art stores that carry clay sculpting supplies, that's where I found mine in Canada. Coat hangers may be a better choice for your needs anyway due to rigidity so who knows!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back