Halo Elite Sangheili Build W.I.P Pic Heavy

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Green Theorem: Thanks! No real method really. Just using paper to make templates. Using the size of the paper to measure out. I gave up on trying to scale it exactly haha. Just making them slightly bigger than I think they should be and cutting them down if they dont look right. Let me know when you do your hunter! I was plannign on doing on later this year as well.

@Road Kill: Thanks! The head is annoying to say the least haha. But it is coming along nicely I think. Once it gets the Helmet on and attached right it'll be awesomer Thanks for reading!

I was actually referring to the angled stilts you used. Although a hunter would be about 9 or 10 feet tall as opposed to an 8 foot tall elite.

I was actually referring to the angled stilts you used. Although a hunter would be about 9 or 10 feet tall as opposed to an 8 foot tall elite.

Ah I see. But for the Hunter one would just have to make normal stilts because they don't have digitigraded legs so in theory would be easier to create heighth for the hunter than for the elite. ANYWHOO I appriciate the positive feedback from you and I would be glad to have you stay with this build until it is complete. Thanks for reading!

Yay double posts. This is an update though. First day off of work since Friday. Anywho I have completed more painting. I added the red accents to most of the pieces and put a few base coats of black on the helmet and torso. Here are some pics for y'all.

2012-05-23_12-03-04_396.jpg

Took this before I had everything painted. Most of the pieces are there, but it's just to show the paint. I know what you're thinking, too thick a coat, I see drips. I know about the drips thank you haha, but the paint I wanted to run in some spots so I can use it as a guide for distressing later on. The drips that got on the black I will get when I hand paint on details.

2012-05-23_12-03-15_241.jpg

Torso with plastic-dip. I have painted it black and hung it on one of those planter poles, just to keep it out of the grass.

2012-05-23_12-03-23_139.jpg

Once again used 2mm craft foam to cover my mistakes haha. I like how it turned out.

2012-05-23_15-08-37_638.jpg

Torso all taped off for the accents. Oh forgot to mention, and in case you couldn't tell, most of the red accents are custom. I decided to go for the complete awesome factor instead of generic elite. going to take a silver sharpie and tattoo the armor as well when the paint dries.

2012-05-23_12-03-28_38.jpg

Helmet with first coat of plasti-dip. I have also painted it black. Putting on 4th coat after I'm done posting. I know about the mistake I made and I will fix it. Who can guess what it is? The winner will get a PM with a teaser of my next project haha. Don't worry if you don't see it right away, it took me a while to spot it and I was working on it xP oh and no it's not the seams.

2012-05-23_12-53-37_327.jpg

I know y'all probably were expecting these things to be finished, I was too trust me haha. These are the stilts covered with fabric then coated in flex seal. I like the texture, I think I've mentioned that before, and it doesnt flake off when they move. Going to add a huge zipper on the front so we will be able to tie up the skates and get to the cords.

That's all I have for ya today, I am messing around with some of the extra crap I have laying around to see if I can't put together an arm extension. Next day I have off is Friday, and if everything goes how I want it, rarely does, I will have the materials for the undersuit. It will comprise of a thin black fabric on top of foam to give my brother a bigger sillouette so he fits in the pieces. I will also mount the Helmet to the head and make it wearable. So look forward to seeing my midget brother testing out some of the pieces!

I need a weapon still, however time being cruel, I am not going to worry about it too much right now. I know the forums are not for buying and selling but if anyone has a covy weapon or knows of someone with one and are willing to part with it (I'll pay of course) please pass me a note. Thanks!

I am going to my local year round costume store tonight to see if they have a bulk suit before I attempt to make one. If they have maybe a muscle suit made of foam I could possibly work with that. OH and as for attaching the head assembly to my brothers noggin does anyone have any suggestions? I was thinking of using something simmilar to a hard hat, where there are multiple point that contact the head. Also a chin strap but stability is what I'm after. I could possibly mount the whole thing to the torso with like a suspention type thing for support. IDK yet. Please any suggestions would be great!

Thanks for reading!

Wow man this is stellar work. I'm lovin it :)
I like the ideas u have about mounting the head, if I think of anything usefull ill let u know :)

Once again nice work man, as for the mistake you mentioned is that the helmet opens at both ends? Lol just a stab in the dark :p
If I were you, I'd stop painting for a moment and get some filler in the gaps of the seams then sand it down to smooth it all out. If you do I think it'll look even better than it already does.
But however all very good and can't wait to see your bro sporting the suit for us :)

@Mstruvmgc: Thanks I appriciate that and thanks for reading!

Once again nice work man, as for the mistake you mentioned is that the helmet opens at both ends? Lol just a stab in the dark :p
If I were you, I'd stop painting for a moment and get some filler in the gaps of the seams then sand it down to smooth it all out. If you do I think it'll look even better than it already does.
But however all very good and can't wait to see your bro sporting the suit for us :)

Thanks! oh and Mistake guess is wrong lol. The helmet is more of a plate than a closed system like human helmets. It is supposed to be open. It covers not only the head but the neck as well. The gaps have been taken care of and only because I rushed on the plasti-dip and didn't coat it well enough so the spray paint melted through the hot glue on some of the pieces X_X. All is good now though and I will be doing all my painting by hand now. I used hot glue and a little, very little mind you, bondo to help with the gaps. Only downfall I have with the bondo is that it tears through my sandpaper if I don't smooth it out as much as possible before it cures.

Side note: If you look closely on the shoulder piece I have up there you will notice the brick has been painted...No biggy for someone with graffiti remover and extra brick grout, but as my luck would have it my dad decides to come home early and sees me in the middle of cleaning that mess up and blows a gasket. So now I am "banned for life" from using spray paint of any sort in this house haha. my baaaad. So all painting will be by hand now, which is fine I was almost at that stage anyway haha. If I'm not too wiped out from work tonight I will go over to my halloween store and pick up the piece I ordered from them and then go to walmart/hobby lobby for some velcro and parachute clips. For Friday, my next day off, I will hopefully be able to get everything mounted and test fitted before I paint too much more. Thanks for reading!

glad you sorted the gaps.

Unlucky with your dad. When i was younger my dad gave up giving me grief over making a mess of the yard with all the stuff i built, made or painted. I think he gave up caring when I made the car sized go cart and took up the entire yard. Now I live with my Girl friend and she gets to put up with this stuff :)

glad you sorted the gaps.

Unlucky with your dad. When i was younger my dad gave up giving me grief over making a mess of the yard with all the stuff i built, made or painted. I think he gave up caring when I made the car sized go cart and took up the entire yard. Now I live with my Girl friend and she gets to put up with this stuff :)

Being a lowly fast food manager and a college kid, I don't make enough income to afford to live on my own. I think the only reason my dad really cared that much is because we are in the process of selling the house. high stress and all that jazz. Anywho lucky lady you got there, my girlfriend likes when I build furniture and shes an "interior designer to-be" so she is designing all the furniture she wants me to make for her haha so to an extent she will put up with my builds. Either way nothing shall stop me!

Oh I think I may have a buddy that wants to do a double hunter build for a local convention. He is ready to invest time and money into it and I directed him to this site and he is making plans as I type. After my couple builds I will be joining his quest for awesomeness. Thats at least a couple months away though sooooo ya.

Straps and velcro work tomorrow. Mainly going to focus on attaching the helmet and head to a hat of some sort.

Ok. Sorry for the promises and no results! With summer starting I did not anticipate how much other crap I was going to have to do haha. Anyway not much of an update but it's what I have done. Here y'all go:

2012-05-30_12-12-21_186.jpg

I attached the helmet. Now one piece. Still looking for a way to attach to my brother. I found an old bike helmet I might try.

2012-05-30_12-16-23_87.jpg

Not exactly how the head sits but it's close enough. Good enough for a picture haha. It's about 3ft from bottom of the torso to the top of the helmet.

2012-05-30_13-27-44_499.jpg

The three things mounted. No detailing

2012-05-31_12-55-48_834.jpg

Completly secured. A little detailing. No major cover ups yet. I will be painting a little later today with my girlfriend. She actually offered to help me on that haha. I am working on the second stilt right now and then I will be attaching these straps I found to the back of the thighs.

2012-05-31_18-28-22_814.jpg

Girlfriend touched up shins. Here are some pics. This one is the one that is already attached.

2012-05-31_18-28-31_471.jpg

Back of the shin that had the most cover up to do. Also shows the design I put on there.

2012-05-31_18-28-53_303.jpg

Design continuing onto other side.

2012-05-31_23-37-46_510.jpg

Patched up the head and my girlfriend (arms shown haha) did some touch ups. She wanted a picture of it and she didnt like the ones I already had so here is the one she likes haha.

2012-05-31_19-40-13_592.jpg

Before...

2012-05-31_23-27-03_177.jpg

...After. That is the essential look I am going for. I like it and I am not changing it so suck it up if you don't like it haha.

Thanks for reading!

beastly progress dude!!! loving the paint scheme! very original! the bike helmet is a good idea, but they sit on the head, you need something that conforms around the head and will stay secure, have you thought of making the head the helmet, idk, like blend in some slots for vision and breathing, and add a strap or something on the inside, or you could have your brothers head in the chest and the elites head mounted to the armor, like a headless horseman kind of thing! just tring to give you ideas. cant wait to see your ingenious solution to it! keep up the beastlyness!

@DBMike Thanks! Sorry I haven't been updating, I work waaaaay too much. I will have some progress posted hopefully by the end of next week.

@Darthoblivious: Those are great ideas however I plan on hollowing out the bottom of the neck a little more to accomodate a helmet type deal. I hope for the bottom of the neck to sit on his shoulders so yeah I will need to figure out how to blend in some eye holes/slits. I was thinking fabric. I had this stuff I used a while back that you could see through when it was close enough to your face but you couldnt see through it if you were just looking at it.

@thorn696: Short and sweet haha. Thanks!

As always thanks for reading and I hope to have something for y'all by the end of the week. Oh seeing as it is almost my anniversary with my girfriend, next thursday I believe, I will most likly be very busy haha. Let's see if I cant get some more detailing with the sharpie and the helmet rigged to the head by the end of next week. Yay for goals. Thanks for reading!

Ah crap another double post. oh well. I didnt get everything done I had hoped but I did get some detailing (which takes a lot of time) and some strapping done. Head is still a puzzle and I almost threw it at the wall today haha. Here is what I got detailed. Oh and a shot of my bro in the stilts. Enjoy

2012-06-15_14-56-52_944.jpg

I forgot to reposition the thigh piece before snapping this one haha. It had slid down onto his knee. I'm thinking I am going to figure out some way to attach it to the Codpiece so it doesnt slide.

2012-06-15_15-00-10_627.jpg

Bro taking a rest, I had forgotten to check some of the bungees and a couple had slid off the back making them useless so he wore out kinda fast haha my bad. He says they are not too heavy and he would actually like more weight on the bottom to help him keep still. I will have to get some metal plates or something similar to slide inbetween the toes and wood.

2012-06-16_00-22-24_253.jpg

Detailing on torso. I still have to make the arms and seals and padding for the torso assembly. I found a easier, hopefully better, way to make arms/hands. Hopefully it works and hopefully I can get around to it sometime this week.

2012-06-16_00-22-45_156.jpg

Everything that is detailed. Both thighs are strapped. Stilts are done, just need to make sure they stay in working condition. Forearms I need to attach to the arms, when I get around to making them.

I found an old catchers mask I might be able to convert to use with the head. It has a full head cover and a ton of holes for attaching stuff on. I will make it work because the helmet is failing misserably haha. Anyway Thanks for reading!

Only thing I could suggest is doing a drop-leg style of mounting with the piece being secured to a belt by cord or strapping. I'm using several of them on my suit, and they are very sturdy. Glad to see more progress. looking good man :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back