Halo Mark Vi Armor W.i.p.

Status
Not open for further replies.

timonemycat

Jr Member
So I know I've already posted once, but I wanted to formally introduce myself in this post. My name is martin, 20 years old, and have been drooling over master chief's design since the first halo. About two or three years ago, I ran across this blog of a guy that had made MC armor using polystyrene, which is a interesting plastic that melts together when a certain solvent is introduced. I had him help me through some logistics, and set out to scratch build the armor. The plastic is very hard to work with, as is designing each piece from pictures. This is how far I got:
MCProgress005.jpg

MCProgress004.jpg

MCProgress006.jpg

I pretty much gave up after I somehow lost the jaw line that I worked really hard on. And the helm and chest have been sitting in a closet ever since (hence the dust).

Recently, I stumbled across this site, which resparked my interest in the armor creation, but I was still skeptical as to how I would be able to do it, unwilling to work with the styrene. Seeing the Pepakura for the first time is almost unreal, I'm still amazed at how well the pieces fit together, and form the helmet. Early days with White Wings airplanes helped me with the making of the pep. My dad works for a Epoxy resin company, so luckily enough for me, I can get lots and lots of resin for free. This is the pep that I have done so far:
MCProgress003.jpg

I started out with a jaw line, but then realized it was too small, so I started over again, and I think this one should fit.

Again, I'm excited to be a part of this forum, with so many talented people at my fingertips.
Thanks all for the great tuts!

cholo71796 said:
What a small world. I don't know if you know (yet) but Sean is on this site!

lol that's where i was getting at xD

Last edited by a moderator:
3 days of strait peping, and the helmet is complete. Hopefully I'll be able to resin it within the next couple of days.
MCProgress.jpg

I am contemplating getting a dual action airbrush to complete this project as well as future ones. Do you guys think its a wise investment, or can I get equally as good results from spray paint?

Also, I was wondering if you guys suggest adding key reinforcments on the inside of the helm while resining the outside, then cutting them off to do the rest. Theres all those support structures throughout the inside of them helm. Add some of them? Or just leave em out?

timonemycat said:
I am contemplating getting a dual action airbrush to complete this project as well as future ones. Do you guys think its a wise investment, or can I get equally as good results from spray paint?

Also, I was wondering if you guys suggest adding key reinforcments on the inside of the helm while resining the outside, then cutting them off to do the rest. Theres all those support structures throughout the inside of them helm. Add some of them? Or just leave em out?

Spray paint seems to work pretty well, I think most people use that but an airbrush might give you a smoother and cleaner finish!

You should definately use the support struts that go inside the helmet, otherwise when you apply the resin and fibreglass it's likely to warp and your beautiful pepakura will be ruined! Use as many as you can and there will be less chance of the helmet warping! Hope this helps :)

Last edited by a moderator:
yea add the supports and spary paint should work fine but if your going to be makeing a lot of stuff(ie more than one suit) then it might save money

So for the supports, Should i add them, then resin the outside, then cut them out and glass the inside? Whats the procedure for those?

add them resin outside like twice and then cut them out glass the inside but if you want i sudjest that you make the supports out of cardboard

Started the chest yesterday. Working on the back. So far, this is really really hard. I think that this is the worst of it though. The chest is 430mm tall, and I'm around 6', do you guys think thatll be a good fit?
MCProgress007.jpg

wow bravo you actually pulled that off but there is a lot easier chest piece not on the wiki but under flying squirls pep files and all that detail is floating faces

So I was out of town this weekend, dreaming of pep, hahaha. Worked what left of a sunday I had, and here are the results:
MCProgress008.jpg

I'm really nervous that it might be too big, but its sized correctly, and I'm just not sure, tell me what you guys think..? I feel like its an intsy teensy tiny bit too big. Sorry for the awkward picture:
MCProgress009.jpg

I was in kind of the same situation. I've always wanted to build an MC suit, but I'm not a very good scratchbuilder or sculptor. This site is very inspiring. Your peps are looking great, Timonemycat! The backplate may seem a bit big right now, but I think once you get the rest of the gear on, and the helmet on next to it, it will look fine. As long as you think it's sized correctly, you should be fine. Can't wait to see the finished product.

I always find that, for chest measurements, measure across your shoulders and put the width into the scale instead, plus of course a centimetre or so for padding and such. You'd be surprised how much the underarmor will actually take up, and what might seem like an oversized set at first actually might fit quite snugly with the underarmor added, considering the set needs to be roughly in line with your armpits.

In this case, I'd say it's fine, maybe a tiny bit too big. Take a centimetre or two from the build height, reference the width across the shoulders, and if it checks out, go ahead. Bear in mind, of course, that this armor was never designed for people like us - the Master Chief and most of the SPARTANs are actually built more like really big, stocky dwarves, and unfortunately not a lot of the Pepakura files have been designed to reflect a real human's dimensions.

It's looking really nice. I don't have the patience or dexterity for those HD Pep pieces, so I applaud you. Best of luck finishing it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back