Halo Reach Commando Helmet Build (Picture Heavy)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I still had a great time, to the point that we almost forgot the reason we were in Florida in the first place! :)

Yeah, finally, and it only took 300+ posts and an almost finished suit! :p ;)

Can't wait to see any of your new projects.

Glad you had a good time in FL! :)

sssoooooo about that casting run.....?? ;)

The run starts today or tomorrow. I have enough to do 8 or 9. I'll post some pics by Friday. PM me if you would like one.

Thanks for following my thread.

I received one of these castings a couple of weeks ago and I have to say that it's really a great piece. Blackula727 made a nice, strong, lightweight cast that needed minimal cleanup before painting. I'll post pics up once I've got it painted.

If you're on the fence about getting in on this deal, I'd say go for it!

I received one of these castings a couple of weeks ago and I have to say that it's really a great piece. Blackula727 made a nice, strong, lightweight cast that needed minimal cleanup before painting. I'll post pics up once I've got it painted.

If you're on the fence about getting in on this deal, I'd say go for it!

I can't wait to see those pics!!!!

placed my order :D stoked!!

Thanks man, I'm getting close to finishing it. lol.

looks great man! congrats on doing such a good job with this :)

Thanks man, I appreciate the comment.

I can't wait to see those pics!!!!

Ask and ye shall receive...

Beginning the paintjob:
5746915534_6314ca1009_o.jpg

It was a rushed job because I wanted to take this beauty with me to the Maker Faire, but I think it came out okay:
5746917850_a012e549ff_o.jpg

The visor was one of my reject acrylic pulls from my MkVI form and it fit surprisingly well:
5746918058_6a78a7b66e_o.jpg
Sometime soon I'll attach it to the helmet with something other than duct tape...

Someone will ask, so I'll go ahead and mention that the blue was "Wildflower Blue" from American Accents. I don't remember exactly what the red and white were called, but they were both from Model Masters line of enamels. So was the steel color for the cheek details and the tabs on the top of the helmet. The black was Rustoleum flat black done with a flat brush, the scratches were drybrushed on with Rustoleum Aluminum, then I touched up the flat black again, and gave the whole thing a misting with black primer to make it look a bit more used.

Looking at the pics, I need to go back and retouch the flat black areas again just to neaten up the edges. Then I'll take some better showroom-style pics.

Let me just say, I am totally honored to have you working on one of my casts. You do amazing work and I think you nailed the paint. Great work Shawn!

I was able to see Thorssoli's version of your helmet, Blackula, and I commend both of you, it's really a stunning piece of work!
Seeing it in photos was amazing, but in person was just incredible.

I was able to see Thorssoli's version of your helmet, Blackula, and I commend both of you, it's really a stunning piece of work!
Seeing it in photos was amazing, but in person was just incredible.

Thanks for the great comment Sir Tsaboc, I appreciate it.

I just wanted to post some pics of the com link attachment. I should be finished this week with it and it will have a bracket that will line up with the helmet like in the game and attach to the com link nice and flush. I used Ruze’s file, but I modified it slightly to give it the in game details based on the screen shots that Ruze sent me. Thanks for your help my man.
Heres a pic of the general Idea:

reach_17382019_Medium-1.jpg

Here are a few pictures of the current rough design of the main body.

IMG_20110605_161219.jpg

IMG_20110605_161234.jpg

IMG_20110605_161246.jpg

IMG_20110605_161300.jpg

I know it still needs work, but its getting there. What do you think?

Thanks again everyone for viewing my thread

What do I think? I think I've got a helmet in the workshop that needs just such a thing...

Looks like you're on the right track. a bit more smoothing and that thing should be ready to mold.

What do I think? I think I've got a helmet in the workshop that needs just such a thing...

Looks like you're on the right track. a bit more smoothing and that thing should be ready to mold.

Thanks my man! I appreciate the feedback. I'm probably going to make it two pieces bracket seperate from the main body. I'm also going to move the recessed areas on the side forward. I think I have just enough silicone to mold it. Thanks again!

Well, I found some time to fool around with some foam. Its still pretty rough right now, but what do you think?

250452_10150209382984194_559154193_6827488_4566967_n.jpg

Keep building guys.

looking good so far. good luck with the back cuz that gave me the most problem since its not foam friendly.

Glad to see this thread is still alive and that you're working on a suit. :) Looks great so far, very neat work for a (I presume) noob foam builder.

I'm interested in seeing how you incorporate that A1 sauce into the build....;)

Glad to see this thread is still alive and that you're working on a suit. :) Looks great so far, very neat work for a (I presume) noob foam builder.

I agree with spitfire, nice to see a suit to match that awesome helmet.

looking good so far. good luck with the back cuz that gave me the most problem since its not foam friendly.

Yeah, I was looking at this yesterday and trying to figure out the right plan of attack for this. I'll keep you guys posted.

lol, I was planning on using the A-1 for when I mess up a perfect steak by not paying attention to it while building my chest piece. Its a hedge against overcooking that can sometimes happen. :) BTW, this is my first foam build and the scroll saw has helped tremendously when cutting out the pieces. hopefully I can get it right, if not, I'll go back to pep. Will see.

I agree with spitfire, nice to see a suit to match that awesome helmet.

Thanks my man, hopefully I can get it right, I really don't want to have to pep the whole thing. I may mix it up pep + foam. will see. like I said, if it comes out ugly I'll throw it away and start over with the tried & true pep method.

Anyways, thanks again guys for viewing my thread. Keep on building.

OMG, it's a fantastic job!
Because of my exams, I couldn't come on the 405th, and I missed so many things...
Good luck for the next of your project, I can't wait to see the next update ;D

OMG, it's a fantastic job!
Because of my exams, I couldn't come on the 405th, and I missed so many things...
Good luck for the next of your project, I can't wait to see the next update ;D

Thank you my man, I appreciate the comments. I just purchased some major stuff for the next project. Wish me luck. lol :)

Update:

Here is the latest on the attachment. Let me know what you think.

253643_10150215297744194_559154193_6879453_428764_n.jpg

260596_10150215297439194_559154193_6879449_3147097_n.jpg

255063_10150215299904194_559154193_6879474_4811696_n.jpg

254848_10150215300319194_559154193_6879475_1758795_n.jpg

263936_10150215300769194_559154193_6879487_656196_n.jpg

I still have some minor detail work left on it, but the mount lines up nicely.

Well, keep building guys!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back