Halo Reach Kat - Foam Armor *FINISHED* 10/31/11

Status
Not open for further replies.
Strap buckles on the outside of the chest piece?? I don't think I get what you're saying. XD My problem with the chestplate is that I can't get it over my head by myself. It's one whole piece and because of the lower back piece, I have to have someone hold it so it doesn't fold under and rip. Then I also need them to help me pull it down because once I start to put my arms through the arm holes, I totally can't move my arms and pull the chestplate down by myself! XD My husband laughs when he is helping me. He really laughed at me when I tried to take it off for the first time and got stuck! XD LOL

LoL I feel for you, i have the same problem because my chest piece is not cut or anything and that stupid piece on the back grabs my shirt everytime I put it on and once its on its a chore just to get the bicep pieces lined up correctly, but your suit looks really great, hope you get it all figured out

I've been poking in on this thread once in awhile and just noticed you have completed photos up. From my screen the armor turned out excellent and looks great. I've had the same visor problems recently so if you find a workable solution keep us updated. Good work!

Here is the picture of my solution to help me put this on by myself problem
1e99daba.jpg

Here is the picture of my solution to help me put this on by myself problem
1e99daba.jpg

OOOOOHHHHH!!!! NOW I get it! XD LOL I would hate to have to cut the sides though. :( Although it WOULD help to get it on, but even then, I would still need help getting the bicep pieces on because the chestplate limits me from reaching to my other arm! XD Also, to better help hide the buckles, you could probably place them on the inside, granted you are still able to easily reach inside and buckle them. :p

I put the bicep piece on before the chest armor and both biceps piece have Velcro attach to my under suit sleeves so the both stay put while I put the rest of the armor piece on. :) You don't have to cut at exact spot as I did. It can be anywhere that you can reach with one hand and you can use your creativity to hide it or make it blend in as a part of the armor. I know you can do it better than mine. :)

Yes to get the chest on segment it above the shoulders where the chest meets the vents on your back, and below under the ribs. as far as keeping the bicep on you want to have a clip like the ones used on your chest and have another attached to your bicep, so that you can buckle them right at the center of your shoulder. To keep the thighs and such up basically involves turning your lower rig into suspenders...My foam thread shows all the straps and such I used for my armor.

That said OMG YOU DID SUCH AN AMAZING JOB!!! heck the only two points I find inaccurate are your right shoulder (duh you have a real arm) and the visor...your attention to detail was phenominal. You did amazing work congratulations. now wear it to the halo anniversary launch :)

in reference to the prosthetic arm, i could see if i could hook up a model in in less than a year.
it should be a working one as well. :p
i love the idea of prosthesis sooooo

Wow is all i got to say ive looked at this before and this build is alot of the reason i'm doing my odst build out of foam. Your work is truly awesome, love it all

Probably my first message on this forum but i want to say : This is one of the most realistic armor built here XD (Sorry for my bad english ==> i'am french ^^)

Vous englais n'est pas mal, C'est améliorez beaucoup que mon francais

Was wondering HaloGoddess if you'd be wearing this phenominal outfit to phx comic con?

Guys, not trying to be mean or anything, but you need to pay attention to the date or the thread and the content within. As stated on this page already by Pipinacan, HaloGoddes sold her suit to annanymous, who is another member on the forums. Please try to pay attention to the last date in a thread before you post. :) necro posting is a no no here. Dont worry, i have done it before to lol

Vinemous, that looks neat and all, but please DO NOT hijack another person's project thread by posting pics of your work. :\ If you want to share your project, it's best to make your OWN thread. ;)

Moving on................

WARNING!!!!! PIC HEAVY!!!!! :p

I finished the helmet!

I hate, hate, HATE the visor!!! Since it is NOT a reflective visor, you can totally see my face. Just because the helmet is dark on the inside does NOT help to hide my face!!! :( *cry* There isn't anything I can do to totally conceal my face which really sucks, but there isn't anything I can do at this point.

The funny thing is, I've been working on this all day and I finished it at 1:17am! XD LOL In order to make the helmet closer to my face and neck, I added some fabric around the bottom. I WAS going to use craft foam, but I think the fabric works better. It has some give so I can still get my head in and out with no problems and no worries of having it rip. :)

Here are some pics showing the fabric underneath:

View from back:
210ary9.jpg

View from side:
2vs5bn4.jpg

View showing more underneath:
pkwo.jpg

RANDOM FACT: I used to do aggressive inline so I had a helmet that I didn't really have any use for. After I got into Halo armor building, I decided to keep the helmet thinking I could later use the padding for a Halo helmet............I was right! It finally came in handy! :D

I was able to use some of the padding for the inside of the helmet. I only used a piece to wrap around the inside so the helmet felt more secure on my head. I glued some scrap pieces of foam to the top, inside of the helmet. The piece that wraps around the inside of the helmet shows just how big around my head is. There is about an inch and a half of space between the cushion and the helmet itself. My head is small! My husbands 12 year old nephew has a head BIGGER than mine! XD Anyway.....here is a pic of the cushion inside:

augh1z.jpg

That pic was also taken before I added the fabric around the bottom. :p
Also, yeah, I KNOW those screws look dangerous the way they are now since the foam pieces I have TEMPORARILY covering the sharp points of the screws rest directly on my temples, I do plan on cutting the screws shorter, but since my husband is working at the time of this, I need to wait for him to get home to find a tool that will cut the screws and then I will use the small foam pieces to cover the ends. :)

Finished pic!
24xnaq9.jpg

Now some pics of me wearing it!

This is a pic WITHOUT the flash:
miz0ag.jpg

Even without the flash you can still slightly see my face. When I went to look in the bathroom mirror, you can clearly see my face. Light easily passes through the visor.

And here is one WITH the flash:
2ccnomd.jpg

I HATE that visor!!!! XD :(

Hi, I'll cut to the chase. There's a simple method I've found that can fix your visor issues. While designing my own helmet, I found that if you lightly spray your visor with a metallic colored spray paint, it becomes semi-reflective. The degree of coverage should be only so much as that you cannot see inside the visor with an averagely lit place around you. This very light coat reflects any outer light due to its metallic coloration. Furthermore, since it is sprayed very lightly, you will be able to see out of it without much difficulty.
My profile picture demonstrates this ( I can't seem to upload directly from my computer...)
I've found that the most effective brand for this is Fiddly Bits. As can be seen, the aluminum color coat cannot be seen through. Trust me, it's clear as gen-1 NVG on the inside.
I'm not sure what surfaces this technique works on, but I know for certain that spraying it onto a plastic bottle such as a orange juice container or soft drink bottle can achieve the desired results. The best distance to spray from to give an even coat while maintaining a light dusting is at 35cm (14in).

Thanks for your time and I hope this helps.

Regards, Daarki

Hi, I'll cut to the chase. There's a simple method I've found that can fix your visor issues. While designing my own helmet, I found that if you lightly spray your visor with a metallic colored spray paint, it becomes semi-reflective. The degree of coverage should be only so much as that you cannot see inside the visor with an averagely lit place around you. This very light coat reflects any outer light due to its metallic coloration. Furthermore, since it is sprayed very lightly, you will be able to see out of it without much difficulty.
My profile picture demonstrates this ( I can't seem to upload directly from my computer...)
I've found that the most effective brand for this is Fiddly Bits. As can be seen, the aluminum color coat cannot be seen through. Trust me, it's clear as gen-1 NVG on the inside.
I'm not sure what surfaces this technique works on, but I know for certain that spraying it onto a plastic bottle such as a orange juice container or soft drink bottle can achieve the desired results. The best distance to spray from to give an even coat while maintaining a light dusting is at 35cm (14in).

Thanks for your time and I hope this helps.

Regards, Daarki

Darkvisor, I can see you are new here, but from now on, check the date of the last post. This thread is almost a year old. Please don't post in a thread that's more that a month old, it keeps the forum organized.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back