Halo Reach Kat - Foam Armor *FINISHED* 10/31/11

Status
Not open for further replies.
yeah i wouldnt give up. you could use it for next years con or halloween. Or like they said to help out at a toy drive. I help out with the 501st and seeing those kids faces light up makes your day.

You still have Yamacon coming up in Nov. at the Detroit Ren. Cen. That will give you plenty of time to finish you're suit!

I thought that was an anime ONLY sort of thing? Halo is not exactly anime unless you include Halo Legends, but Halo didn't start as anime so it's not really anime. :p

You can also get on a metro or subway train and do a dancing spartan video all over the city just like Danny Choo the dancing Tokyo stormtrooper.;)
It would be kind of hard to do that since I gotta hold the camera myself too. :(

Its mostly Anime, But 405 and 501 both made a showing last year along with a few others and reach was the biggest hit in the gaming room. After that I'm not that sure. They ask'd me to come this year in my armor, So I'm going.

Wait a second here, once again.
You are limiting yourself so much by thinking armor is only acceptable at certain conventions at certain times. If there is anything i have learned while trooping in costume, it's that it's ALWAYS accepted, even by casual fans. Heck, as soon as i finish my foam ODST (thanks to inspiration from you!!!) i'm going to don it and take it to my friend's favorite bar (pictures forthcoming this summer)! Armor, whether its Halo, Star Wars, Fallout, or whatever, is appreciated everywhere. Well, except theme parks, apparently. But you can do charity work, local fan meet-ups, gaming championships, fan films, exhibitionism (in the form of performance artists like mimes, "metal" people, and other things you see on hollywood boulevard and fisherman's wharf), and the possibilities are endless!
your Kat-B320 Armor is Top Notch, and we have seen you put a hell of a lot of work into it, and it would be a damn shame to never see you wear it.

but, i'm just a concerned fan. you really are the person that inspired me to start up a foam costume. you made it look easy, but i know it's hard work. kudos to you for going as far as you did. i hope you complete it and use it. and thank you for your work in progress thread. it's been the most helpful thread next to hugh holder's odst thread.
-rj

i completely agree with bigolaf.
the armour you create is completely wasted if you create it for one event. i did that and it came out horrible, as i had to rush it and knew it would never go anywhere after that.
but when i started my ODST i though that it had many more uses. i could wear it to parties, out and about (hopefuly not get stabbed), to crazy events. you armour is amazing quality, and it would be a shame to see all that work and effort go to waste. i live in the uk and though that wearing that stuff in public was forbidden, but even over here people accept it!
it genuinely makes me sad that you would guve up on this piece, and i hope you change your mind.

and i know how you feel about having to hold the camera yourself XD

Thanks for all your suggestions guys, but a convention is really all I have to go to if I want to wear my armor. I'm not about to go somewhere all by myself and wear my armor in public for fun. I would feel like an idiot. If I had friends that wanted to join in and be goofy, then maybe I would. I don't have parties to go to, I don't have a car to drive and I practically live out in the middle of nowhere.

Going to half of those places require money that I don't have. It costs money for the gas to have my husband drive me. It's almost $5 a gallon! We can't afford that so my husband only uses the car to drive to and from work and the occassional shopping trip. I guess you can say that I don't really have a social life. I work and then I come home where I hang out on my computer for about 80% of the time or clean around the house. I don't have any friends that I can call up, have them pick me up and take me somewhere. I don't even have any friends that like what I like. I've never really had friends to begin with. :\

I kinda know how you feel. Due to gas prices, I haven't been to any of the 501st events around here and our garrison is probably one of the most active in the U.S. alone. It takes about $80 bucks to fill up my truck every week and a half. I am a stay at home dad and I'd rather use the gas to take my kids to school rather than to drive over 60 miles one way to a trooping event that you don't even get paid to do. The friends I have left are mostly Star Wars costumers but I am slowly trying to lure them into the Halo costuming...LOL! But I agree with the others that you should still finish your Kat anyway and keep it as a trophy of what your creativity has accomplished and then you can still wear it whenever you have the need for it.

You've got lots of friends on the 405th and everybody likes to talk about this stuff, and everbody seems interested in your build, I would just complete it, now that you don't have to rush it you can just take your time, then the next time a Con comes around that you can attend, its ready to go, I know darn well I wont wanl in public in my Busa suit unless its a con (if I ever go) or some costume party, but when one comes up, I won't have to rush to get a suit done for that event, I think alot of people are learning from your build, I hope you continue with this build, I know having people interested in my build has help to keep me going with getting it finished, but hey on the forums we are your friends

I thought that was an anime ONLY sort of thing? Halo is not exactly anime unless you include Halo Legends, but Halo didn't start as anime so it's not really anime. :p
Anime conventions are very much for video games too! For example, this weekend will the fourth year I've worked at Anime Central in Chicago, and I'm going in a video game costume. Heck, people even wear costumes from sci-fi, comics, film, steampunk, and original characters that don't fit any category! Plus, there are still plenty of things to do at these cons: panels, musical performances, checking out the video game room, etc.

I say you should definitely consider going to Youmacon. If you don't want to feel lonely, you can tag along with me. I'm going there with my Kat armor, and it would be AWESOME to walk around with a fellow Kat!

Last edited by a moderator:
Anime conventions are very much for video games too! For example, this weekend will the fourth year I've worked at Anime Central in Chicago, and I'm going in a video game costume. Heck, people even wear costumes from sci-fi, comics, film, steampunk, and original characters that don't fit any category! Plus, there are still plenty of things to do at these cons: panels, musical performances, checking out the video game room, etc.

I say you should definitely consider going to Youmacon. If you don't want to feel lonely, you can tag along with me. I'm going there with my Kat armor, and it would be AWESOME to walk around with a fellow Kat!

You're gonna travel to Detroit to go to Youmacon? :O I just find that crazy because I can hardly travel a couple cities over let alone a state! XD I told my husband about Youmacon and since it's in Detroit and not a very far drive at all, we might go.........as long as we even have the money of course. :\

You're gonna travel to Detroit to go to Youmacon? :O I just find that crazy because I can hardly travel a couple cities over let alone a state! XD I told my husband about Youmacon and since it's in Detroit and not a very far drive at all, we might go.........as long as we even have the money of course. :\
Truthfully, the bonus my company gave me will be paying for Youmacon...otherwise I wouldn't be going at all. Though the nice thing is that if you're willing to work as a volunteer at these cons, you can actually get the money you used for buying your badge back, AND get access to the "crash space" for volunteers at the hotel the convention's at (although usually crash spaces are pretty packed with people, as a lot of volunteers take advantage of it). There are plenty of ways to save money during conventions that most people fail to use, let alone knowing about them at all.

I kinda know how you feel. Due to gas prices, I haven't been to any of the 501st events around here and our garrison is probably one of the most active in the U.S. alone. It takes about $80 bucks to fill up my truck every week and a half. I am a stay at home dad and I'd rather use the gas to take my kids to school rather than to drive over 60 miles one way to a trooping event that you don't even get paid to do. The friends I have left are mostly Star Wars costumers but I am slowly trying to lure them into the Halo costuming...LOL! But I agree with the others that you should still finish your Kat anyway and keep it as a trophy of what your creativity has accomplished and then you can still wear it whenever you have the need for it.

this statement i agree with. i also realize that gas is unreasonably expensive right know, but i still believe that a sense of accomplishment always seems to do well for me. Regardless of how big or small it is.

Thanks for all your suggestions guys, but a convention is really all I have to go to if I want to wear my armor. I'm not about to go somewhere all by myself and wear my armor in public for fun. I would feel like an idiot. If I had friends that wanted to join in and be goofy, then maybe I would. I don't have parties to go to, I don't have a car to drive and I practically live out in the middle of nowhere.

Going to half of those places require money that I don't have. It costs money for the gas to have my husband drive me. It's almost $5 a gallon! We can't afford that so my husband only uses the car to drive to and from work and the occassional shopping trip. I guess you can say that I don't really have a social life. I work and then I come home where I hang out on my computer for about 80% of the time or clean around the house. I don't have any friends that I can call up, have them pick me up and take me somewhere. I don't even have any friends that like what I like. I've never really had friends to begin with. :\
Halogodess, I know how you feel about having family and not much social life or friend because I have the same problem too and I am thinking if you want someone to do silly things just tell me and I will fly there to do whatever you want with you. I love your work and would like to be your friend.

Halogodess, I know how you feel about having family and not much social life or friend because I have the same problem too and I am thinking if you want someone to do silly things just tell me and I will fly there to do whatever you want with you. I love your work and would like to be your friend.
Im right there in the same boat as a few of the people who have posted. I am a stay at home Dad, I work out of the house for the most part doing props and costume commissions and get out of the house maybe once a year at best. Gas is expensive and like others, the car is used for my wife to go to her day job and the rare grocery run. I also am pretty much friendless except for online contact. Pretty much all of my time is spent working on costume commissions leaving no time for outside activities. I have online friends who seem to be able to go to costume events every weekend, but I myself will be lucky to get to wear my own costumes to ONE convention if we spend months saving money for me to go. I really feel for those of you that are in a similar situation.

Don't forget, you still need to get yours done before mine.

Also, did you hear/see anything else about the package Brandon McClain sent you?

Don't forget, you still need to get yours done before mine.

Also, did you hear/see anything else about the package Brandon McClain sent you?

Nope. Still have NOT got anything. I think once it does get here, I'm going to throw a fit and them tell them to return it to sender because the package was time sensitive and I needed it for a certain day and that day has long since passed so send it back.

Actually, throw the fit at postal customs for delaying it for so long. You can still finish off the armor and wear it for ConClave or Youmacon. Of the 2, ConClave would be the easeir to afford since it's just down the road you wouldn't need to get a room and wouldn't use much gas either :)

For info check here :)

Actually, throw the fit at postal customs for delaying it for so long. You can still finish off the armor and wear it for ConClave or Youmacon. Of the 2, ConClave would be the easeir to afford since it's just down the road you wouldn't need to get a room and wouldn't use much gas either :)

For info check here :)
I don't think we would need to bother with a room either way since both of them are not that far. And since Youmacon is a few months away still, we should have the money by then to go.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back