Status
Not open for further replies.
I love the look of the build. that plasma rifle looks really nice and I can't wait to see more plasma rifle builds. the armor is also turning out really great, it looks like it fits just right. Can't wait to see the rest of the project and how this turns out.

Looking good! You've got yourself a nice printer. I've heard really good things about the ender 5. Looks like you're using that 22x22cm bed to its maximum potential! I assume those buckles you added were drawn right on to the files. If that's the case, what program did you use? I know some people use fusion 360, tinker cad, or SketchUp. Just wanted to know your preference :)
I drew them on the model in Google sketchup. Its the first practical part I've made and even being a rushed afterthought they work well enough in conjunction that 3M plastic velcro. I'm having to slow myself as to not create more issues down the road. The chest will just use sets of pegs to align and give some strength to the separate parts with super glue finishing the job. Without tweeking the collar area I won't be able to put it on like a shirt so I'm likely going to socket the front and back together. I have considered making the collar a separate part that I can put on after I slide the whole thing over my head. I still need to check the dimensions at the scale its intended to be at for this.

Last edited:
I love the look of the build. that plasma rifle looks really nice and I can't wait to see more plasma rifle builds. the armor is also turning out really great, it looks like it fits just right. Can't wait to see the rest of the project and how this turns out.
Thanks! The plasma rifle and carbine are my favorite so I intend to have them both. The current plasma rifle was unfortunately rushed and is retired to being decorative as I didn't add any sort of support to it and have already broken it once. There's a better model out there and if I can add supports and lights that would be more ideal. Even at 80% the thing is massive so I might make the next slightly smaller so I don't look like the littlest spartan. Ive re slicing the halo 4 carbine thats on thingiverse for bigger prints and supports, wiring, lights and hopefully I can engineer an ejecting mag. I want that sucker to get launched!

Screenshot (3).png
Screenshot (4).png
Screenshot (6).png
Screenshot (7).png

Im pretty happy with where the chest is at. There are a few more details I will add to the back side but its print ready at this point! Ive put a few holes in the front so I can fit some pouch mounts to it later. I was originally going to print the models for the commando chest but premade pouches seem like a more practical idea.
Screenshot (8).png

The carbine ( found on thingiverse by misterchiefcostuming) has a lot of work left. All but the middle is mostly ready but the center will house most of the lights and mechanisms that will need to be figured out.

Last edited:
Time for an update!
20210308_002723.jpg
20210308_003111.jpg
20210308_004527.jpg

First of the shins are printed after about 28 hours and the scaling is spot other! I spent way too much time fiddling with the model but it payed off. The plan is to melt the two parts together with a slightly modified hot knife. I'll be able to slip it right over my leg once its finished and support it with either straps or a brace inside of my shoe.

Looking good my dude! idk about you, but after trying on my codpiece/belt, I kinda wish I made it out of foam instead of PLA :oops:. Keep it up!
I was definitely having issues with the belt being too rigid which is why I had to keep adding different things to keep it together. Ive settled on letting it just sit on my waist with no attachments and it seems to hold up well. The knee pads and boots are what I'm considering doing with from.

20210312_152438.jpg
20210312_152452.jpg
20210312_152519.jpg

Very happy with how the first shin is coming out. Ive decided to start one of the 3D printed thighs while I fix some of the faces and geometry for the second shin. The thighs will hopefully print in 3 parts: the top portion closest to the hip and then the inner and outer parts around the thigh. So far my scaling has been on point and I'm pretty sure I've matched the scale of the new thighs to my old foam ones. Priming and painting will happen at some point, I just need to go to a more appropriate space thats not my apartment balcony.

New thighs are coming out. Instead of taller 20+hour prints ive decided to cut most of the length in half. The Ender-5 is a very stable printer but the dest it is on is not and I can see wobble being an issue.
20210318_123529.jpg
20210318_123541.jpg
look at how smooth that is! .2mm layers! I'm using MoeSizzlac 's files here and they are great.

New thighs are coming out. Instead of taller 20+hour prints ive decided to cut most of the length in half. The Ender-5 is a very stable printer but the dest it is on is not and I can see wobble being an issue. View attachment 304250View attachment 304251 look at how smooth that is! .2mm layers! I'm using MoeSizzlac 's files here and they are great.
Where did you get your book on Black Magic: 3D printing edition?

That's crazy neat for .2mm and consider me jealous!

Where did you get your book on Black Magic: 3D printing edition?

That's crazy neat for .2mm and consider me jealous!
I learned a lot from various YouTube videos and practice prints. Ive only had the printer since December. The most important things I can say about printing so far are leveling your bed , good filament, and understanding what settings you put into cura or the slicer you use. My preferred settings at the moment are using a .4mm nozzle
with .2mm layer height, .5mm wall width, 2-3 walls depending on what part ( legs and belt are all 3 layers while the biceps and other less stressed parts are thinner). I print on a raft base as this seems to allow less room for failure due to bed adhesion or the print falling over as it goes. Getting to know what your printer is capable is is important too, things like overhang angles, print speed and temperature will vary with printers and filament. Ive looked into other filaments but PLA has been working well for me. I'm using Overture branded stuff from Amazon and its only like $45 US for 2 kilograms depending in the color. The white was less stringy but the black prints smoother. Pretty sure its the PLA and not the printer causing this.

Thats a lot of information and everything may be different depending on personal choice and printer, this is what has been working for me so far! Hope it helps!

The scale looks good!
Might I recommend doing a thick coat of filler primer rather than bondo though, and just saving bondo for the seams/problem areas. I made the mistake of covering full bondo on a piece once and it took me an eternity to sand it all.

Of course this is just opinion so you can totally disregard it if you so choose lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back