Status
Not open for further replies.
The scale looks good!
Might I recommend doing a thick coat of filler primer rather than bondo though, and just saving bondo for the seams/problem areas. I made the mistake of covering full bondo on a piece once and it took me an eternity to sand it all.

Of course this is just opinion so you can totally disregard it if you so choose lol
I absolutely realized this after putting bondo on some of the parts. I only have a little tube thats mostly empty but because my more recent prints are much more detailed I shouldn't need so much. I'm going a little heavy with bondo first to hopefully cut down on some of the super noticeable angles. I'm also doing better seams when I melt part together! This is one big learning experience!

Last edited:
Another minor issue tonight. Needed to pause mid print as no one was home and thats a fire hazard I'm not looking to be involved in. Upon resuming everything looked fine but after checking in after maybe 20 minutes I notice everything was printing about a millimeter to the left on my X axis. Thankfully only 20 grams of PLA were used at this point so I've just restarted everything. Not sure what caused this but I'm guessing a software glitch or issue upon resuming. This printer has finished prints after total power failure so I was a little surprised.

And good lord is this stuff durable! I'm trying to break the scrap that printed and I'm not having any luck!

Another minor issue tonight. Needed to pause mid print as no one was home and thats a fire hazard I'm not looking to be involved in. Upon resuming everything looked fine but after checking in after maybe 20 minutes I notice everything was printing about a millimeter to the left on my X axis. Thankfully only 20 grams of PLA were used at this point so I've just restarted everything. Not sure what caused this but I'm guessing a software glitch or issue upon resuming. This printer has finished prints after total power failure so I was a little surprised.

And good lord is this stuff durable! I'm trying to break the scrap that printed and I'm not having any luck!
I've also had issues with this. Something that I occasionally have luck with is, before resuming a print, use the "auto home" function so that the printer knows exactly where it is again. Over time I think the axis can drift a little bit and pausing really accentuates this. Perhaps it may be worth checking your steps/mm as well. Have you calibrated those yet?

I've also had issues with this. Something that I occasionally have luck with is, before resuming a print, use the "auto home" function so that the printer knows exactly where it is again. Over time I think the axis can drift a little bit and pausing really accentuates this. Perhaps it may be worth checking your steps/mm as well. Have you calibrated those yet?
I've not messed to much with the steppers mainly as I have no idea what I would be doing and nothing has really warranted me messing with more settings. I'm running this printer straight out of the box and probably rushing past some important thing along the way!

The first thigh is 100% printed! This might be my favorite looking part so far. I'm going to get everything together in the morning but here's where its at.
20210321_210224.jpg

Not much to update on but the second thigh is almost printed. Just need the top portion closet to the hip and I will get the whole thing together.

I did want to ask those of you who have crafted torso armor how you find it best to put the whole thing on? I'm working with the idea of a two part cheat that will clip the front and back together or making it one part where the collar is removable. That's likely the only part on the Reach mkv that would stop me from putting it on like a shirt. A very bulky shirt...

Accessories came in! Plenty of pocket space with these.
20210429_224103.jpg
20210429_224130.jpg

Bot much progress has been made recently unfortunately as I am still tweaking the chest and helmet to be ready to print.

I'm afraid to print the helmet so soon even though I know the opening is wide enough for my head and it is very well scaled to the chest as to not look like a bobble head. Would anyone recommend printing it as one piece or would breaking it up be wiser? Looks like anywhere between 600g-1000g of pla depending in how I orient it on the printer.

Started on my first bucket.
20210627_151222.jpg
Should have everything printed by Thursday if all goes well. I happen to have some clear PLA sitting around so I'm going to try and print the visor. If it's horribly hard to see through I'll have something to attempt vacuum forming with.

A discussion came up in the Discord about printing a visor then doing an epoxy resin mold, would be super interesting to see someone else give that a try. I know it's been done but it would be tricky to prevent bubbles forming, even thickness throughout, and then polishing to get good visibility. Any thoughts on trying that out?

A discussion came up in the Discord about printing a visor then doing an epoxy resin mold, would be super interesting to see someone else give that a try. I know it's been done but it would be tricky to prevent bubbles forming, even thickness throughout, and then polishing to get good visibility. Any thoughts on trying that out?
I'd not considered doing casting. Definitely would need to do some research on resins as that's not something I'd ever messed with. This clear filament is part of the trial set that came with the printer and the other spools have been lack luster. If it's a total failure setting up a cast might be easier than trying to vacuum form with what I have to work with. Sandwiching the resin between two visor prints might turn out something usable? I'll see what I can find out a out that!

Um.. you seem to be missing some pieces :-D

Really thought - looking great and can't wait to see the finished product.

Also thumbs up for painters tape holding prints together before gluing.

Um.. you seem to be missing some pieces :-D

Really thought - looking great and can't wait to see the finished product.

Also thumbs up for painters tape holding prints together before gluing.
Starting the last piece in the morning. The little pipes/vents and a test visor will be done by the end of the week. Tape is purely a poor cosmetic choice at this point, I'd prefer it in blue!

Funny how it keeps everything aligned though

Always love a foam & print hybrid! Looking great so far
Thanks! The foam chest if from attempt number 2 from years ago. Unfortunately its not likely to be finished and just I'm using it as reference for scale at this point. I do plan to incorporate foam around the shoulders and abdomen to make an "under suit" if that helps ease any disappointment!

Thanks! The foam chest if from attempt number 2 from years ago. Unfortunately its not likely to be finished and just I'm using it as reference for scale at this point. I do plan to incorporate foam around the shoulders and abdomen to make an "under suit" if that helps ease any disappointment!
the betrayal!! Jk, I'm sure it will look good either way!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back