HaloGoddess' "How To Scale" and More Tutorial

Status
Not open for further replies.
um i have probly one the most retarded question i'm ever gonna ask here but.... what happens if we hav a part that dosen't fit on one page??? do we just work with it and just glue a lip at the cut off to join the 2 halves???

um i have probly one the most retarded question i'm ever gonna ask here but.... what happens if we hav a part that dosen't fit on one page??? do we just work with it and just glue a lip at the cut off to join the 2 halves???
If you can't make a piece fit on one piece of paper, you will need to try and "unfold" it some more. Anywhere on the right side in pepakura, you can right click then select join/disjoin or whatever it says and then you can disconnect an area to make a piece fully fit on one piece of paper.

But everything should be unfolded already to where the pieces should still fit unless you either A, scaled it wrong, B, went from letter to A4 sized paper or C, are VERY tall. XD lol

But everything should be unfolded already to where the pieces should still fit unless you either A, scaled it wrong, B, went from letter to A4 sized paper or C, are VERY tall. XD lol

I'm only 6'1 and I've been having that problem an awful lot.

Packhunter, if the pieces span two(or more) pages, What I do is pen the border line using a rule to make sure it's a straight continuation, all the way across where the printer stopped printing on one of the split pages, then for the other I cut it off at where the printer stopped. That gives you one of the pieces, and another piece that has an extra little lip that *should* be the perfect size to use as a tab to put the two together. I find doing it that way is loads easier than cutting them both out, and trying to custom make a tab to glue them both together.

Being 6'7 you'll probably end up with A LOT of multi-page pieces, so I hope this helps ease the trouble of it.

~Jake

hey its me again are we supposed to measure all around our waist and chest and get the diameter or just for pit to pit, and hip to hip???

Hey there HaloGoddess, I'm a noob but I just wanted to say THANK U! for this thread it was great help with great information.

hey i had another question pertaining toward your measurement tut... i have some pretty fat thighs and i wasn't sure how to measure them or if most thigh peace are just half the thigh and not all the way aouind or if you can cut them in half for better fitting?? or what??

just so you know if you feel that i'm bothering you too much, its because the other tut was a lil confusing and i also figure thgat since i'm a big guy and i have a....bigger....... chest..... it might be smarter to go with a girl's advice on measurements and all that jazz since girls seem to have a simalar chest obsticle... i'm not saying i have boobs or nothing it just my chest is a bit bigger then the adverage man..... ya know this all sound smarter and less creepy in my head :$:$

ok so im new to armor making and im gonna make a helmet first. im 13 and not the biggest kid or the smallest. so i go to scale and the scales change when i want to put another measurement in. now you said you only need to worry about one measurement. so how do i scale the helmet a best as possible, im on a tight buget!

Hey HaloGoddess, I've got a bit of a problem. Following your method of scaling, everything has fit so far(shins, thighs, belt, stomach, and chest of MarkV by Moz), except the helmet. I'm not sure if maybe I'm doing something wrong or what, but I measured the height of my head at 12 inches even, so I made the helmet file at 13.5 to account for padding, and it was WAY to small. I tried fourteen inches, same, and fifteen is apparently twice the size of my head. Could you maybe help me out with understanding this a bit?

Sorry, no pictures, in my frustration I destroyed the prototypes...

You are my fricking hero goddess. As of right now I have no questions what so ever on any resizing issues. You simply took the list from my brain and went through each step by step, and as a person who learns more visually than verbally, those added pictures were my savior. Not to mention the printing tutorial. JACKPOT!

<3

Hey HaloGoddess, I've got a bit of a problem. Following your method of scaling, everything has fit so far(shins, thighs, belt, stomach, and chest of MarkV by Moz), except the helmet. I'm not sure if maybe I'm doing something wrong or what, but I measured the height of my head at 12 inches even, so I made the helmet file at 13.5 to account for padding, and it was WAY to small. I tried fourteen inches, same, and fifteen is apparently twice the size of my head. Could you maybe help me out with understanding this a bit?

Sorry, no pictures, in my frustration I destroyed the prototypes...
Yes, armor building does have it's setbacks, but don't let that discourage you. When I was making my Hayabusa helmet, it took me THREE attempts to finally scale it right because the spikes on that helmet were higher than my head, obviously, and it was tricky to figure out the measurements so that the helmet would fit right. XD

Exactly what helmet are you building? Be sure to list exactly what one it is so that maybe I can look at the helmet myself to see what the problem would be.

You are my fricking hero goddess. As of right now I have no questions what so ever on any resizing issues. You simply took the list from my brain and went through each step by step, and as a person who learns more visually than verbally, those added pictures were my savior. Not to mention the printing tutorial. JACKPOT!

<3
hehe Glad it helped you! :) This tutorial is pretty simple and as I said, it's the one I use ALL the time and once I figured out the best way to do it, I never ran into issues unless I came across a file that was more for a guy than a girl, such as the bicep pieces. I always have to alter those to fit me. But now Reach has female armor so I don't need to worry now! XD

Hey HG, great tutorial. I've been following your tutorial to the letter and it's been working great! (Well, I only pepped one forearm piece so far and it ended up being TOO long... I think I misread where you add and additional 2 inches because of foam, but I realized that's only for the chest... lol. Because of that, my forearm piece is only about an inch TOO long because of that!) Just a few questions for you:

Any tips for scaling for foam armors? And what can you do to check to be sure that your piece isn't too long/too short? I don't want to waste any foam just because I made a sizing error. For example, I'm going to do the helmet, but I can't tell how big it is for me (after scaling, printing, etc.). So I resorted to cutting it and pepping it (with tape, because I plan to use those files for foam.) to see if it fits. So far I just did the neck opening and I'm able to fit my head through (only problem is getting my head out. =P) I find that I'm going to take too long using this method, so if there's another way to check if my sizing's correct, I'd greatly appreciate it! But I concluded so far is that whenever I measure, I don't add anything to the measurements, unless it's for a chest piece where I need the extra inch for me to fit through.

Also, what about scaling knee pieces? I'm doing a foam build for Kat right now, but I realized that when I pulled out a file for Kat's shin (using ForgedReclaimer's female shins, by the way), it doesn't come with the knee pads. So I did a little research and went for the GUNGNIR knee pads and got those files too (also made by ForgedReclaimer, but they're for guys). Since they're on separate files, how would one scale them?

Thanks for taking the time out to read this!

i have the same problem with the hayabusa, mind to give us some tips for it? i don't really know which between hight , width and depth is same as normal scaling and which one need to be a little different from the normal scaling

Wish i saw this before i did my helmet, didnt take measurements for beard room haha. its not too small that its not useable though. But thanks for the tut, you just saved me from a few angry trial runs.

Any tips for scaling for foam armors? And what can you do to check to be sure that your piece isn't too long/too short? I don't want to waste any foam just because I made a sizing error. For example, I'm going to do the helmet, but I can't tell how big it is for me (after scaling, printing, etc.). So I resorted to cutting it and pepping it (with tape, because I plan to use those files for foam.) to see if it fits. So far I just did the neck opening and I'm able to fit my head through (only problem is getting my head out. =P) I find that I'm going to take too long using this method, so if there's another way to check if my sizing's correct, I'd greatly appreciate it! But I concluded so far is that whenever I measure, I don't add anything to the measurements, unless it's for a chest piece where I need the extra inch for me to fit through.

Also, what about scaling knee pieces? I'm doing a foam build for Kat right now, but I realized that when I pulled out a file for Kat's shin (using ForgedReclaimer's female shins, by the way), it doesn't come with the knee pads. So I did a little research and went for the GUNGNIR knee pads and got those files too (also made by ForgedReclaimer, but they're for guys). Since they're on separate files, how would one scale them?

Thanks for taking the time out to read this!
When it comes to measuring for foam, you will measure yourself the same way as if doing the standard pepakura method, BUT you have to take into account the thickness of the foam. The foam is normally half and inch thick so you are looking at an extra inch of thickness. So when you measure yourself, you will want to add another inch to that measurement.

As for Kat's knee pieces, Forged Reclaimer never made them to begin with, at least I don't believe he did, but the files DO exist, obviously, since I have them. :p Usually with the knee pieces, you first need to see how the knee piece actually looks on the character. As for Kat, the knee piece seems to touch both sides of the knee so this will be something easy to work with. For that you would measure for the width. The shins are normally on a seperate file than the knee pads. MOST modelers do NOT put the shin with the knee pad since you need to measure seperate for them anyway.

i have the same problem with the hayabusa, mind to give us some tips for it? i don't really know which between hight , width and depth is same as normal scaling and which one need to be a little different from the normal scaling
As I said, the hayabusa helmet is VERY tricky. Since the top, center spike sits so high above the top of the head, it makes scaling a pain in the butt! XD Pepakura reads the model at it's HIGHEST and lowest points so when you measure your head, you need to take into account for that spike. Your best bet would be to measure your head the way I have shown in the tutorial and then ADD 4 MORE inches to that measurement. That should help because of how high that spike sits and should leave some room for padding. When pepping, start making the sides of the helmet and the piece that goes around the back THEN hold it in place as if you were wearing it and see how it looks/feels. This is what I did when I worked on mine so that I didn't pep a full helmet and have it not fit. If it doesn't seem to fit in the right spots, then stop what you are doing, add another inch and try again. Yes, that does suck, but the hayabusa helmet isn't easy. XD

This helmet is what I've been trying: http://www.4shared.com/file/DPc68lL1/MK_V_helmet_MOZ.html, one of those you link to in your Halo CE:A files thread, under "old school" armor, haha.
Okay, I looked at the file.........the model seems fine, but when I read back to your previous post.............your head is 12 INCHES HIGH!?!?!!? :O What are you, like 9 feet tall!? D: My head is roughly 8 inches in height and other members I come across average like 9-10 inches. Either you got a REALLY tall head or you measured wrong.

The height of my head is 8 inches so I rounded up to 9 and scaled the helmet at 230mm and put that in the height box since I measured for height. I double checked the rest of the measurements. I converted the mm to in and the width (215) comes out to about 8.5 inches and that seems about right. The 323mm for the depth ends up at 12.7in and that seems about right for me too. I think you made a mistake when you did your measurements. Did you measure from your chin to the very top of your head while NOT bending your ruler and keeping it straight up and down?

That could be the problem, haha. If I remember correctly, I bent the tape measure to have it flat against my face.

That could be the problem, haha. If I remember correctly, I bent the tape measure to have it flat against my face.
Yeah, you DO NOT want to do that. It MUST be fully straight at ALL times when taking ALL your measurements. If you are unable to hold it straight yourself, then ask someone else to measure for you so that you can get a more accurate measurement.

Awesome, thanks HG.

The part about adding an inch to my measurements for foam really confused me, mainly because I'm a fairly small person (5'3". D:), and when I made a few test peps for the arms and helmet (just to see if it actually fits, practice, etc.) I found that they are really too long/wide/tall (if not all, then either or) for me because I added that extra inch. Just for clarification, the extra inch is only for measuring the torso or for all body parts?

Great to know this information, HG. =D I just haven't found an actual file that said "Kat's Knee Pieces" on the Halo Reach pep database, so I actually had to look through the Halo Wiki to find which pieces closely resembled Kat's armor and picked it. The information regarding how to scale it was very helpful! Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back