HaloGoddess' "How To Scale" and More Tutorial

Status
Not open for further replies.
Awesome, thanks HG.

The part about adding an inch to my measurements for foam really confused me, mainly because I'm a fairly small person (5'3". D:), and when I made a few test peps for the arms and helmet (just to see if it actually fits, practice, etc.) I found that they are really too long/wide/tall (if not all, then either or) for me because I added that extra inch. Just for clarification, the extra inch is only for measuring the torso or for all body parts?

Great to know this information, HG. =D I just haven't found an actual file that said "Kat's Knee Pieces" on the Halo Reach pep database, so I actually had to look through the Halo Wiki to find which pieces closely resembled Kat's armor and picked it. The information regarding how to scale it was very helpful! Thanks!
You made test peps out of the foam and it was too big? As for making a helmet out of foam, I can't really help with that since I don't think a helmet looks too good being made from foam. I don't think the foam will be able to hold up to the visor if the visor needs to be forced in the helmet and the visor may just pusg out the sides of the helmet and cause the helmet to look funny. XD

As for adding the extra inch or 2, I did it for ALL of my pieces except for the handplates and boots. Handplates don't really need the extra inch to them and I scratch built my boots. :p And adding that extra inch ONLY applies to when working with foam. When it comes to the helmet, some people will add 2 extra inches to leave room for padding and any fans if they plan on installing them since they will also need the room for the electrical work.

Also, for Kat's knee piece, go to the Reach pep thread: http://www.405th.com/showthread.php/24086-*The-Official*-Halo-Reach-Pepakura-Files-Thread and go to the bottom of the 2nd post. The file was made by Rhinoc and above the picture lists all the links.

Well, I made it out of paper first, so I could see how it would look like on my head. XP My pepping always turns out to be warped (I think it's mainly because I used multipurpose rather than cardstock), and I'd rather do it out of foam because of safety/weather/money reasons. (I'll be reading on how to mount the visor into the helm somewhere! =o)

Ah that makes sense now. I'll have to post my progress eventually so I could get some opinions on my progress so far. I'm a little doubtful on my handplates now! ;-;

Thank you so much!

Have a quick question. Btw Halo great tut on scaling but the one question i do have is under your scaling parts you measured the Hand Guards for height is this right? wouldnt you measure it for depth from the front to back of your hand?

Have a quick question. Btw Halo great tut on scaling but the one question i do have is under your scaling parts you measured the Hand Guards for height is this right? wouldnt you measure it for depth from the front to back of your hand?

The way I have shown in the picture how to measure for the handplates would be considered measuring for the height ONLY as long as the 3D model was positioned to be that way when you see it in pepakura. When you load it in pepakura and IF the model to the left is laying flat then you would measure differently, and I even mentioned this as well too. Most modelers make it so that the handplate looks like it's standing upright meaning that you would measure for height and you would put this number in the height box in pepakura.

If the model is positioned differently than that, then it's possible you would measure for depth, but ONLY if the model looks that way in the 3D image when you view it in pepakura.

Just remember that because I DID mention that if for some reason the model is positioned differently than the way most modelers position the piece, means that instead of measuring for what I have listed in the image, you will need to measure differently taking into account the height, depth and width of the model as it's default angle when loaded in pepakura.

The way I have shown in the picture how to measure for the handplates would be considered measuring for the height ONLY as long as the 3D model was positioned to be that way when you see it in pepakura. When you load it in pepakura and IF the model to the left is laying flat then you would measure differently, and I even mentioned this as well too. Most modelers make it so that the handplate looks like it's standing upright meaning that you would measure for height and you would put this number in the height box in pepakura.

If the model is positioned differently than that, then it's possible you would measure for depth, but ONLY if the model looks that way in the 3D image when you view it in pepakura.

Just remember that because I DID mention that if for some reason the model is positioned differently than the way most modelers position the piece, means that instead of measuring for what I have listed in the image, you will need to measure differently taking into account the height, depth and width of the model as it's default angle when loaded in pepakura.

Thank you HaloGoddess for running that down for me

Guys, please remember to measure your waist! It is not the same as your jeans waist.
Jeans are worn low, under your gut, (on us older guys).
Your real waist is closer to your navel. Have a good friend help you, measuring yourself is difficult at best.
I know this not from building armor, but from watching guys get kilts that don't fit because they "assumed" they knew.

Thank you so much!

Saying I was a little lost when it comes to scaling on Pepakura is an understatement! So glad I came across this thread. It has helped me a lot with my scaling = ) Thank you thank you thank you!

I must pay my respect. Im not finished my build yet but i made 3 helmets before i found this thread. All were terribly out of scale due to my overly large head for someone my size. This tutorial was a godsend. Scaling takes about 30 seconds now and EVERYTHING i've built since has been a perfect fit. Thanks for making the most sensible scaling thread on this forum :D

hi, thank you for your guide it has helped me alot, but i would like to ask for some advice. i have tried to pep my bicep piece about four times. i read your guide and the other one explaining the formula. part of the problem i am having is that my arms are really big for someone my size, i am only 5'5" with 21" arms. if i scale the pep file to where i can fit my arm in it is to long, if i pep it to where it is the right length i can't get my forearm into it. other than cutting relief cuts into the pep, is there any advice you can give me. i am really tired of wasting paper although i am getting better at peping with all the practice i am getting, thank you

hi, thank you for your guide it has helped me alot, but i would like to ask for some advice. i have tried to pep my bicep piece about four times. i read your guide and the other one explaining the formula. part of the problem i am having is that my arms are really big for someone my size, i am only 5'5" with 21" arms. if i scale the pep file to where i can fit my arm in it is to long, if i pep it to where it is the right length i can't get my forearm into it. other than cutting relief cuts into the pep, is there any advice you can give me. i am really tired of wasting paper although i am getting better at peping with all the practice i am getting, thank you

There ARE times when you may have to modify a file to make it bigger or smaller WITHOUT making it too long, as in your case. You may just have to find a small spot where you can cut it and add a piece to extend to make it wider so that it will fit your arm AND not hurt the correct length. I've had to modify files to make the width smaller and not hurt the proper length. It's really the only thing you can do. :) Just make sure that the spot you choose is simple to work with.

Hope that helps and hope you can make it work. :)

Fantastic thread... Probably the best scaling thread I've read on the 405th. I am finally starting my Mk6 build, after waiting over a year to do so. It was very nice to find a "one stop shop" of useful tips, points and recomendations with regards to scale and not limited to a specific pep file set.

Rockin' thread Goddess!

Quick question just to make sure, for scaling the waist, do you measure all the way around like you would do for pants or literally only the width of the waist from one side to another? and whereabouts would the width of the waist stop? and similar for the chest piece is it literally just the width from one side to another?

Quick question just to make sure, for scaling the waist, do you measure all the way around like you would do for pants or literally only the width of the waist from one side to another? and whereabouts would the width of the waist stop? and similar for the chest piece is it literally just the width from one side to another?

Yeah, the width is from one side to the other, NOT all the way around. All the way around would be called the circumference. That is not what you are measuring for.

If you can't make a piece fit on one piece of paper, you will need to try and "unfold" it some more. Anywhere on the right side in pepakura, you can right click then select join/disjoin or whatever it says and then you can disconnect an area to make a piece fully fit on one piece of paper.

But everything should be unfolded already to where the pieces should still fit unless you either A, scaled it wrong, B, went from letter to A4 sized paper or C, are VERY tall. XD lol

Or built like a linebacker :)

I have a serious problem scaling the baseline armour due to my weird measurements. I'm only 6' tall, but have a 52" chest, 38" waist, 20" biceps, and short, stumpy dwarf legs that are thick and short. Scaling for my frame is proving to be a royal pain in the keester, as once I get the width right, the length is off, and so on. Any suggestions as to how to either A) scale it in Pepakura, or B ) how to adjust the printouts to fit my frame? I know I can't be alone in this, but short of using a crowbar and a lot of colourful language to fit into smaller scale armour, I'm left scratching my head :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back