HaloGoddess' "How To Scale" and More Tutorial

Status
Not open for further replies.
Scaling any piece of pepakura is really only going to allow you to make the model fit as it is modeled... sometimes the model just isn't going to work for a particular body type.

There are a couple of options;
You can make it fit width-wise and have to adjust the length after it's assembled (you would need to cut down edges or remove a bit from the center if it's too long, or slice it apart and add filler pieces if too short)

Vice-versa if you make it fit length-wise, alterations to the assembled piece would be in order

If those don't work or aren't the desired methods, you could alter the 3d model itself to make it better suited for your own body (or see if a modeler would do it for you). This way is best to ensure that it fits you properly, but can be a bit of a hassle to get the proportions to match your own correctly.

Yup you got it.
You'll just have to decide piece by piece which measurement will be better to go with, as some may be a little easier to extend or shrink in one direction over the other.

Thanks a lot for this helpful guide! The one thing I would like to know is how to measure extra pieces like a helmet attachment, chest part, wrist attachment, utility, etc. If you could tell us, that would save a million!

There is no real science for scaling attachments. Say you want a UA for your helmet, measure the top of the helmet, where you want the attachment to sit width wise, convert to mm, round so it's not a decimal and enter that into the width field in pep designer and voila!

Also, since Pepakura measures the pieces as an object and not clothing, it measures it at the widest and longest points, etc. So use a metal tape measure and get straight measurements (i.e., not curved), not a clothing/tailoring soft tape measure. I figured that one out the hard way when I was first poking at this :D

What i've noticed just convert to cm to mm ..... in the program numbers go to the hunreds place value ... example (263mm) . If you move decimal one place value to 26.3 you've got cm.... cause ive been using sewing measuring tape. This tap measure in inches and centameters(flipside) . Then just make adjustments to if your going to be wearing underarmor(material) or fancy motorcross armor.... i would think if you got the expendatures ... motorcross armor is the way to go .... making for easier mounting .... but im still new at this ... we will see?.... GOOD LUCK!

Is there any way to scale the file to your measurements on windows xp? I'm using pep viewer 3 on my dell on windows xp, do I need a newer pep viewer because I can't find the scale selection.

Thanks for the great tutorial, HG!

I'm currently working on a Mark V suit using the MOZ files (from Halo: CE), and I think this will work fine for the suit but the helmet, as any builder of this particular file will know, is kind of oddly shaped and it's kind of hard to tell whether you've got it right or not. Currently by using two different tutorials I've made a too-small helmet of SF 24 and a too-big helmet of 31.9 that I didn't even bother finishing. Do you have any advice on building this particular helmet using your method - should I go for it?

Thanks for the great tutorial, HG!

I'm currently working on a Mark V suit using the MOZ files (from Halo: CE), and I think this will work fine for the suit but the helmet, as any builder of this particular file will know, is kind of oddly shaped and it's kind of hard to tell whether you've got it right or not. Currently by using two different tutorials I've made a too-small helmet of SF 24 and a too-big helmet of 31.9 that I didn't even bother finishing. Do you have any advice on building this particular helmet using your method - should I go for it?

For helmets, you ALWAYS want to measure for the height as I stated and showed in my tutorial. You need to measure from your chin to the highest point of your head. When you measure, your ruler or measuring tape MUST BE TOTALLY STRAIGHT UP AND DOWN. It can NOT be curved and CAN NOT be measured on an angle. Sometimes if you are unable to measure your head yourself, you may want the help of someone else to ensure that it stays 100% straight. You will then want to add AT LEAST and additional inch to compensate for padding and the fiberglass that will be put in the helmet to harden it. Sometimes 2 extra inches won't hurt, but I would not add much more than that.

Hope that helps you. :)

For helmets, you ALWAYS want to measure for the height as I stated and showed in my tutorial. You need to measure from your chin to the highest point of your head. When you measure, your ruler or measuring tape MUST BE TOTALLY STRAIGHT UP AND DOWN. It can NOT be curved and CAN NOT be measured on an angle. Sometimes if you are unable to measure your head yourself, you may want the help of someone else to ensure that it stays 100% straight. You will then want to add AT LEAST and additional inch to compensate for padding and the fiberglass that will be put in the helmet to harden it. Sometimes 2 extra inches won't hurt, but I would not add much more than that.

Hope that helps you. :)

Thanks very much. I started my third attempt yesterday and it already looks much more in proportion. A little silly at the moment without the bulk of a whole suit to even things out but way better. This guide looks to be one to stick to, great work and thanks again!

Since it seems like quite a few people are referring to this thread when looking for help scaling, and since it's a fairly complete scaling guide, I'm going to go ahead and place this in the stickies so it does not get lost.

Since it seems like quite a few people are referring to this thread when looking for help scaling, and since it's a fairly complete scaling guide, I'm going to go ahead and place this in the stickies so it does not get lost.
Good idea :) I hated having to search for it when linking it to people :)
Congrats on the sticky Goddess :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back