Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tool said:
On the side, I have been wanting to make custom tf2 pc cases starting with the heavy's minigun (still don't know why they call it that). Would you be interested in collaborating?

Perhaps, but my schedule is booked solid until April of next year. I'm getting married in May, so I'm not taking on any projects from mid-April until June, and then I'll need to get ready for DragonCon again next year! Man, time flies...

so.... interesting developments.

3858558561_d5aea3f805_o.jpg

oh. hell. yes.

Just so we're clear: I DID NOT DO THE VAC-FORMING ON THESE PIECES. As I don't have vacuum-forming capabilities, these were sent out to a fellow propmaker named "BlindSquirrel" You can check out his work here: www.mydumbprojects.blogspot.com

BlindSquirrel did a FANTASTIC job on these. I'm dying to get them in the mail. The vac-forming took a few tries (mostly because I built a crappy buck that caused a lot of problems) but we've got 2 perfect pulls in 1/16" PETG just waiting for tint.

3858558327_e7920f6a63_o.jpg

3858558049_437dc6d28c_o.jpg

and a shot to show the clarity:

3858558215_2768f85095_o.jpg

I am so glad I can finally stop getting the question "How are you going to see out of it?"

Last edited by a moderator:
DerKraken said:
BlindSquirrel did a FANTASTIC job on these. I'm dying to get them in the mail. The vac-forming took a few tries (mostly because I built a crappy buck that caused a lot of problems) but we've got 2 perfect pulls in 1/16" PETG just waiting for tint.

Good progress, the visors look a lot clearer than mine. How are you planning on tinting them?

I'll wait for the pc case mod. Good luck with the wedding. By a staggering coincidence, I am actually doing a web design for a bridal shop. Now as for your helmet, the epicness ensues! This friend of yours knew what he was doing.

Wow, I just stumbled on this thread, and it was amazing. Going to follow this one. I wanted to do Thomas's, but I'm still at the researching stage

This project is coming along amazingly! Nice video on the gold-plating, but was I the only one watching it thinking, "That person is only wearing a nitrile glove and is spraying god-knows-what all over their arm!"? Those visor pulls were nice too (even though you didn't do it). This thing is gonna rock like satan when it's finished.

This thread just keeps getting better and better as every page goes by. Just like everyone else, I can't wait to see it finished :D

Chrome spray is a very cool process. You are actually burning the surface with a chemical reaction from the different coats and that leaves the chrome finish everyone loves so much. It is all a water based process and only a very small amount of chemicals are used. whats even more impressive is you can do it to any surface pretty much where are with chrome plating can only be done to metals.

P.S.

I hope you got the urethane clear coat for protection man hate to see anything happen to that sexy build! :)

DerKraken said:
HOLY CRAP!

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rZ7og9V27FM[/media]

Thats my actual helmet being plated. HOT DAMN!

It's so shiney! \(*o*)/

Closer and closer....

3868439518_9a60bcd249_b.jpg

3867658291_0ee0bc7674_b.jpg

3868439986_8526636832_b.jpg

That's a scrap visor (note the webbing in the plastic) and a scrap mold I'm using just for fitment.

even still... I'm loving this. The visor is very easy to see out of - similar to dark tinted sunglasses. Its 1/16" PETG painted with automotive tail light tinting spraypaint. The sides got thicker coats then the front to make viewing easier. I'd like to thank Rube for his ODST thread where he used the same product on his visors. Excellent information!

Picking up the gold helmets has been postponed until Thursday so they can get enough curing time.

Did you have to order the tail light tint online? I've been looking around and no stores seem to carry them around where I live.

Achille said:
Did you have to order the tail light tint online? I've been looking around and no stores seem to carry them around where I live.

Yep. I got mine from Summit Racing Equipment. I do a lot of business with them for car parts. Good prices, fast shipping.

Don't get the "spray on window tint" though. Everything I read says that stuff is crap

The tint has come out really well. Did you have any problems getting an even coverage or is it quite forgiving? Also did you sand the visor down after tinting? Ive seen one tutorial which recommends wet sanding with 2000 paper.

daftpunk.jpg

Just found this. It looks like the plate in front of the led's is also gold...

my thery is there is multable guy helm.(there is) with diffrent face's(plastic infront of the led's)

you got a mold why not make 2?

animemannn said:
daftpunk.jpg

Just found this. It looks like the plate in front of the led's is also gold...

my thery is there is multable guy helm.(there is) with diffrent face's(plastic infront of the led's)

you got a mold why not make 2?

Shh he might start over again!

There are many different versions of the helmet used for photo shoots and promotions. I believe Derkraken's build has all the best features covered.

Flabbergasted I am from your amazing astonishment...can you be my mentor your just that flucking awesome!

*STANDING OVATION*

DerKraken said:
Yep. I got mine from Summit Racing Equipment. I do a lot of business with them for car parts. Good prices, fast shipping.

Cool, thanks a lot! Took me a while to actually find the stuff, but I did. I actually have one more question about this stuff, but it's a little off topic so I'll shoot you a PM.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back