"Help!" for: Forum Usage

Status
Not open for further replies.

23Magnum

This thread will contain general first hand knowledge of the workings of this site's forums.

People who don't know: Post questions.

People who know: Answer those questions.

Please be as clear and detailed as possible with your questions and/or answers. Repeated questions or variations of certain questions may be consolidated over time into an FAQ section in the post following this one.

Always ask and answer questions as if you were asking/answering your mother or grandmother. In other words, politely.

Rudeness and/or impatience will be met with an infraction. You don't want too many of those.

These threads are meant to reduce and hopefully eliminated the need for the numerous 'I need help threads' that seem to generate endlessly in this section of the forum.

They are not a be all, end all to all questions that could ever be asked though. Some questions will be project specific and you may need to ask those IN the project's thread itself. However, some may not see your questions there so you may post a link to said project thread in the appropriate "Help!" thread when you need the attention of a few extra eyes.

Tutorials that involve this thread's subject matter and are approved by the site staff will be linked in this post. Please review them as they may already contain the answers you seek.

Tutorial Section:

http://www.405th.com/showthread.php/31052-How-to-use-the-Search-function
How to Use the Search Function, by Roadkiller:
The search tool available on the 405th discussion boards is an important tool that is not being used enough, nor to it's fullest capability.

What follows is a very basic tutorial on how to use the search function, and a few basic tips that should help the average user make it a bit easier to find the information they want. Click on the thumbnails to see detailed pictures.

1. The Search function is located in the upper right portion of the boards. You type the term you are looking for into the box circled in red. Throughout this tutorial we will assume I am working on a foam costume build and am looking for information about how a band saw could be used to cut the foam. Thus, I will type band saw into the search box.

th_Search-1.jpg

2. The results screen appears. Note that the actual term the boards searched for is simply the word "band" as indicated in the red circle (more on that in a minute). As you scroll down the results from the search, you will see at the red arrow the first thread that looks promising. However, with other searches, it's possible the first promising thread could be a long way into the results. Is there a way to ensure the search looks for everything I am looking for?

th_Search-2.jpg

3. This picture shows what happens when I enter the term I am looking for enclosed in quotation marks, like so: "band saw". Note that the circle shows that the complete term was used as the search instruction, and at the arrow, our most promising thread is now the first result.

th_Search-3.jpg

4. I can open the most promising thread as usual, and start reading from the beginning, hoping to find what I am looking for. However, to help, the forum has a 'search thread' function available as shown in the read circle.
th_Search-4.jpg

5. It is used in the same manner as the regular search funtion. Click and then enter the term you are looking for, as shown:
th_Search-5.jpg

6. You can see in this picture that the entire term I was searching for was utilized as the search parameter, and a list of actual posts containing that term will appear. Click on the active link as shown by the arrow and you will be taken directly to the topic.
th_Search-6.jpg

There is so much information on the 405th that it is almost impossible to remember where everything is, learning to exploit the search function will greatly aid in tracking down what you need. The search function is capable of much more, but utilizing these techniques will resolve most of your search problems.

Using Google to search the 405th, courtesy of Zat German and numerous others:

Pro-tip: If you add " site: www-405th.com " to your Google search, it will only search the 405th. Don't use the " " marks though, and make sure the space is after the site:

If you enter "site: www-405th.com help forum usage" the first hit should be this thread.
(Remember no " ")

Cory, a closed thread is one that is either a resolved topic, has been inactive for so long that it locked or closed itself, or the creator did not want responses...The up shot is that a closed thread is exactly that, it cannot be replied too...

Hey guys,
Is there anyway to post pictures in the noob forum by uploading your pictures? The only option i can see is to find a link of a picture, is this the only way?

Hey guys,
Is there anyway to post pictures in the noob forum by uploading your pictures? The only option i can see is to find a link of a picture, is this the only way?

Yes.

But using Photobucket (which would be my recommendation) isn't a big deal. It's actually quite fun to use once you get the hang of it.

Help

I'm aware that this thread is kinda old ad is most likely considered dead but I don't know what to do otherwise as the moderator of this forum has been on for over a month now. But anyways I can't post new threads and when I try it says my account hasn't been activated or is waiting approval. Is this normal? Or do I have to reach a certain number of posts before I can't make my own thread instead of digging up dead ones? so can someone please tell me why it says that? and also is there a private seller section on this website i keep seeing a few references to it but i cant find it. also if it is locked what do i have to do to be able to unlock it?

How do I upload pictures?

Welcome to the 405th. You have to upload them to a site like Photobucket or Imageshack. After you do that, you should find an image link under the photo. It will be a url with
around it. Copy and paste that image tag into the body of your post.

Hope this helps!

Hello.

Is it frowned upon to:

• use another persons Pepakura file to make your own creation?

• take credit for that creation?

Is it common to rip/model/unfold your own files if you want to take credit for the final creation?

I mean, even if I knew how to do that, the model (from game) would already be an individual creative body right? So where goes the line?

How do I upload pictures?

Use deviantart.com if you want your images to stay online forever. (this process takes a while and should only be used for final creations and signature pictures and other stuff you dont want to rot away)

When you have uploaded your picture on your profile there, open the image(s) in another tab and copy the address.

Press the image button on your reply panel and paste the address there.
This adds the address to your reply, with html code tags that make browsers read that image. :)

Is it frowned upon to:

• use another persons Pepakura file to make your own creation?
What do you mean by "creation?" If you mean making your costume, then no. If you mean making your own unfold, then no as long as you give credit to the modeler. If you mean re-doing the model, then you have to ask permission from the original modeler first and then give him credit for the original model.

• (Is it frowned upon to) take credit for that creation?
ABSOLUTELY! And I cannot overemphasize this fact enough. This offense alone is serious enough that it can get you banned permanently from the forums.

Is it common to rip/model/unfold your own files if you want to take credit for the final creation?
Gamerips are not a common thing to do around here and discussions on how to go about it is actually discouraged. If you like HD models, gameripping is not the way to go. Also, since a gamerip is not your original creation, you have not right to claim it as your own work.

I mean, even if I knew how to do that, the model (from game) would already be an individual creative body right? So where goes the line?
No. Unless you actually created the extracted content, then you have no claim to any creative work relating to the game. Just like extracting an mp3 from a cd: you may claim ownership to the cd because you bought it but you cannot make any creative claim to the songs since you didn't compose, arrange, sing, etc. You simply extracted it from one medium into another.

So the lesson is that if you didn't create something from scratch, you cannot claim it as your own creation. You may claim the unfold but not the model.

What do you mean by "creation?" If you mean making your costume, then no. If you mean making your own unfold, then no as long as you give credit to the modeler. If you mean re-doing the model, then you have to ask permission from the original modeler first and then give him credit for the original model.

ABSOLUTELY! And I cannot overemphasize this fact enough. This offense alone is serious enough that it can get you banned permanently from the forums.

Gamerips are not a common thing to do around here and discussions on how to go about it is actually discouraged. If you like HD models, gameripping is not the way to go. Also, since a gamerip is not your original creation, you have not right to claim it as your own work.

No. Unless you actually created the extracted content, then you have no claim to any creative work relating to the game. Just like extracting an mp3 from a cd: you may claim ownership to the cd because you bought it but you cannot make any creative claim to the songs since you didn't compose, arrange, sing, etc. You simply extracted it from one medium into another.

So the lesson is that if you didn't create something from scratch, you cannot claim it as your own creation. You may claim the unfold but not the model.

I think you misread my intentions, mainly caused by my own lack of tech-savvy on the process of making armor.

By "creation" I meant armor part. Not Pep file.

To clarify, I just wanted to know if its OK to make a helmet using someone elses pep file, which seems to be the usual way for many on this forum.

And if it was OK to say "Hey, look what I made!" afterwards.

I didnt know that people modeled the helmets from scratch. Thats impressive! Although why not take from game? Its a copy anyway, and I know someone at Bungie made it first, that was basically my point in the first place.

Thanks for answering!

hi im just wondering what i have to do to be able to veiw the classified section? i have been led to believe i only needed 100 posts, not a big deal just interested to see what is available to purchase and save my self a little bit of pep work

hi im just wondering what i have to do to be able to veiw the classified section? i have been led to believe i only needed 100 posts, not a big deal just interested to see what is available to purchase and save my self a little bit of pep work
When members ask this question, the bar gets raised. So the lesson is be less concerned with post count and concentrate more on being a contributing member of the boards.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back