"Help!" for: Misc...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Generally, there's no guarantee for anything. Most people go with a cheap mirrored visor, and then heat form it if needed (but try not to because if you are not pro at heat forming you can whiten the visor which looks hideous)
This one is nice because it's only 8 bucks so you can experiment with them. They're not high quality obviously, but good if you want to get a cheap and dirty visor:
http://www.amazon.com/Motorcycle-Mo...d=1350203207&sr=8-1&keywords=motorcycle+visor

i live in australia and i need help to find products like fiber glass and bondo and resin please help if you do live in australia :)

This is a common problem. We get used to using the brand names for these products, but there are lots of variants that are easily available.

Go to a local Auto store and look for "laminating fiberglass resin", "fiberglass mat/cloth", and "auto body filler", the body filler is supposedly also known as "bog" in australia.

I am under the impression that stores you should check are "super cheap", or "repco", or "auto-one"

The bondo/bodyfiller is the only weird one. Fiberglass is a very universal and easily accessible material. Go to the autoparts store of your choice and ask them about it, and they will surely be able to point you in the right direction.

Hey guys well a problem has come up and I knew it would happen but I thought I was going to be able to handle it but I don't think I can now. I peped the detail piece of the recon helm and put it on the top and taped it on then put resin ontthe outside but not inside so it's pretty weak. I'm debating on ripping it off cleaning off the area and making the detail piece out of basswood. Do u guys think it's a good idea? I mean right now when I was sanding the bondo on it it started to rip a part :( would really appreciate any adivce thanks

Did you rondo the inside of the helmet, Rondo is really where you get most of your stirdyness, along with a couple layers of fiberglass.

Well two things 1. No I didn't rondo 2. The piece isn't part of the same pep file it's seperate so I peped it seperatly and taped on later before I covered it in resin so if u were to slice the helmet in half it would go bondo resin paper air paper fiberglass and I sanded some bondo off and it is starting to spilt on the sides look at my thread and the most recent pics u can kind of see we're it's splitting

Here katsu it's not really a good pic but u can kind of see what I'm talking about
http://s1150.photobucket.com/albums...817870571_310286953_n.jpg&mediafilter=noflash

If you mean that little boxy thing on the forehead that looks to be darker colored than the rest... you have a few options if you are saying that you resind it but didn't harden the inside and are finding it too floppy now.

The first is to take it off, if you are careful it shouldn't be that hard unless there's a lot of bondo on it. The second option is to cut a small hole in it, and pour rondo inside to fill it. The second would be nicer but you need to have a tool to carefull cut a hole in it, pour the rondo in and then put tape over the hole. Slosh the rondo around and when it dries peel off the tape. The tape plugs the hole and makes sure you get rondo to fill that hole.

ok um rondo... never used it before. how does the mixing work, i have like alittle bit of resin left no hardener though :S so if i have to buy more resin and hardener then i may try something else

Rondo is easy to mix, it's just a mix of fiberglass resin and bondo. You put your bondo in a cup then add resin until it's runny then you add your Bondo hardener, you can't really get the hardener part wrong any amount will do I think. and if it's too runny add more bondo or if it's not runny enough add more resin

Rondo is pretty much just half and half of bondo and the resin. You should use both types of hardner too. Never tried it with just one hardner before. You 'could' try it but I would NOT reccommend it. I would reccommend however, that you buy the required supplies and build as normal. Good luck!

lol surename beat me to it :)

I mixed with only one type of hardener, just the creme hardener for bondo. It still hardens fairly fast, the bondo hardener is some mean stuff.

So u guys think I should fill the attachment piece with rondo. I thought of getting it off and building it out of basswood, which would take awhile but idk I wanted some other ideas thanks

No problem, I think tht rondo would be the easiest and most sure fire way to go. You have a well done helmet so far I can't wait to see it finished, and Skullptra, your fallout armor is pretty sick too.

Cheers surename. But as to building that helmet piece, did you mean balsa wood? If you did you'd probably have to rondo it anyway. Might as well drill it and do what Katsu suggested. But yeah!

Skullptura basswood it like really thick balsa wood lol but still has some bendable properties it's a really good craft wood. If u see the beginning of my thread I posted a hd render of a recon helm I will be making some modifications like that to my helmet and I will be using basswood to make the detailed pieces

Again thank you guys so much for all the help I really appreciate advice and criticism. It helps me get motivation to work

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back