"Help!" for: Misc...

Status
Not open for further replies.
hey as this is a misc. help file. i need serious help converting standard pep files to be used with foam. i have no clue how to do this. i have another 405th user attemting to help me but they seem really busy with a need to make 3 or four suit builds for commission. can anyone help me?
thanks
james
P.S. i knolw what files i wanna use.....but have no knowledge on how to do it

There are straight-up templates made for foam out there, but if you want to convert pep files to foam, can't you just print them without the tabs? Foam is not my expertise, but I wanted to offer what little I knew...

do you happen to know where i can find the foam templates either here or elsewhere on the web????? my build is going to be eva helmet (reach), i have the torso file as a pep file its the torso v2 by l3x. i want commando shoulders. and jorges backpack. hopefully i can get grenadier shins. but other than that everything else on my build is standard mk V-b from halo reach.

so confused!

idk katsu. i was told i needed to modify standard pep files for use with foam. i have been trying to get onto the 405th for months now. finally im in! i also need to have my suit done and built to my likings and standards for july 13th for a con in my state, connecticon.

idk katsu. i was told i needed to modify standard pep files for use with foam. i have been trying to get onto the 405th for months now. finally im in! i also need to have my suit done and built to my likings and standards for july 13th for a con in my state, connecticon.

Hey this will help you lots as it got me going watching this guys vids for modifying pep files to make foam templates http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c51gUa8VW-k

because of these i was able to mod all the files i have to make templates for my ODST build. and i can guarantee if you watch them and practice a lil bit you will also be foam armoring in no time with any pep file you find.

Hey this will help you lots as it got me going watching this guys vids for modifying pep files to make foam templates http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c51gUa8VW-k

because of these i was able to mod all the files i have to make templates for my ODST build. and i can guarantee if you watch them and practice a lil bit you will also be foam armoring in no time with any pep file you find.
OH MY GAWD!!! thank you so much you helped me so much!!!! thank you thank you thank you!!!!!!!!!!! Xarmymustang your a lifesaver!

Hello folks!

i have a stupid question, i got some .OBJ files of an armor, but the armor fully in just one file, i wanna separate the parts and create individual files for each one (legs, chest, abdominal...etc), how do i do that?

is there anyway to do it on pepakura designer?

it isn't a problem if i have to use 3D modeling programs, i can figure out on how to deal with them

The lazy way to do it in pep designer is to just organize the parts so each set of parts (shoulder, chest etc) is on its own set of pages (say pages 1-2 are shoulder, 3-10 are helmet etc), and then just print off the pages you want.

The pro way to do it apparently (I haven't tried but someone asked this question recently) if you hit back on this thread a couple pages:

Google Sketchup is an easy and quick 3D modeling program, and you could easily separate the pieces with it. I did that on the ODST I'm working on, because 4shared doesn't work for me so I can't DL the files. But You might need Sketchup Pro.

The lazy way to do it in pep designer is to just organize the parts so each set of parts (shoulder, chest etc) is on its own set of pages (say pages 1-2 are shoulder, 3-10 are helmet etc), and then just print off the pages you want.

The pro way to do it apparently (I haven't tried but someone asked this question recently) if you hit back on this thread a couple pages:

Thank you very much, i have the 3D Max here, so the 3d soft isent a problem.

Can I use scotch tape instead of hot glue because I ran out and I cant get more till later. If I do tape will it stay together when I resin it?

I would suggest not to, seeing as the resin tends to melt tape. I have no experience using tape myself, but I wouldn't suggest it. I just buy my hot-glue in bulk so I never run out. I also get the long one foot sticks.

question:
im making my pep mark VI chest plate, and i cant slip it over my head, i'll have to make it in two parts, and add buckles underneath if i want to wear it properly. did i scale it too small? are you normally able to slip it over your head? or is it fine if i resin it in two parts and assemble it on me that way?

question:
im making my pep mark VI chest plate, and i cant slip it over my head, i'll have to make it in two parts, and add buckles underneath if i want to wear it properly. did i scale it too small? are you normally able to slip it over your head? or is it fine if i resin it in two parts and assemble it on me that way?

Welcom to the 405th!
You are not able to fit the chest piece on as a single piece (if your scaling is correct)
You will have to harden it then cut it into 2 pieces. ***harden first*** or the pieces will warp and never join again!
I would suggest reading all of the stickies in the noob section, there is valuable information in there that will help decrease rate of mistake.

Cereal.

Last edited by a moderator:
thanks ill go check some more of those out (im slowly reading through them). i know ill get there, but when i do get to cutting it, i use a rotary tool, correct?

thanks ill go check some more of those out (im slowly reading through them). i know ill get there, but when i do get to cutting it, i use a rotary tool, correct?

Yes, you can use a rotary tool to cut through the pieces. I personally use a mixture of rotary and fine tooth saws, as there are some spots where the rotary tool will not reach correctly without making a mess of things.

As for actutal location... No idea. However I remember from my days with desktop computer building that I would always have fans blowing in as well as out, which always worked better than just blowing out. As such I would suggest having fans Blowing both directions for optimum cooling.

Put them wherever you get sweatiest when wearing it, OR do what most people do and just fit them wherever the heck the vent ports on that particular piece go. It could look really ugly if you just cut part of the forehead or back out of the helmet for a fan, and I've only seen those kinds of cuts be hidden effectively once, and through the means of a randomly place new detail.

You only need to worry about in/out ratios if you are working with a vacuum, or near vacuum. Most people don't put the neck seals in their helmets, so it's not an issue and you can have only ins. Having only outs is sort of a bad idea because you are more trying to bring in fresh air when doing vents.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back